Infotainment System Bugs

Just took a 600 mile trip from NC to MI - things we noticed.

1. Random reboots of the system.
2. When using the Navigation the turn-by-turn voice takes over the driver side speaker, MOST times it does not give the speaker back to the Bluetooth audio. The only way I have been able to work around this bug is to place a call from my phone via Bluetooth and then hang up, this usually returns the music playing to all speakers in the car.
3. Cannot MUTE the turn-by-turn voice, this would help with bug #2 and should be a standard feature anyway.
4. Being able to reboot or restart the infotainment system without having to turn off/on the car itself would be nice.
5. When playing from USB, this should be more robust of a system - I should not have to place all of my songs in the ROOT folder to be able to do random when starting the car - also it should REMEMBER where it left off, especially if the USB has not been removed from the car (I know this is in the manual as not a feature but it really should be).
6. They should add compatibility to use .M3U playlists. It is the standard playlist format and should be compatible.
7. Voice-Command periodically does not work, I press the button on the steering wheel and it does not activate.

Last edited:
It does have M3U compatibility.

I created an M3U playlist but when choosing to play by Playlist, it would not give me the option to choose Playlist (the playlist option was greyed out).

Can you provide any details on (1) what program you used to create the playlist, (2) what to choose in the infotainment menus to play a playlist?

Thanks!

I created an M3U playlist but when choosing to play by Playlist, it would not give me the option to choose Playlist (the playlist option was greyed out).

Can you provide any details on (1) what program you used to create the playlist, (2) what to choose in the infotainment menus to play a playlist?

Thanks!

I used MediaMonkey to generate standard M3U playlists, and they appeared when browsing under Playlist. I used relative rather than absolute paths.

What's your firmware version? There's a few cars that went out with outdated firmware apparently.

2. When using the Navigation the turn-by-turn voice takes over the driver side speaker, MOST times it does not give the speaker back to the Bluetooth audio. The only way I have been able to work around this bug is to place a call from my phone via Bluetooth and then hang up, this usually returns the music playing to all speakers in the car.

Thanks for the idea, I'll try this the next time.

7. Voice-Command periodically does not work, I press the button on the steering wheel and it does not activate.

Try unplugging any USB device, make sure the car is Off for at least 10 minutes and switch it on again. Not having anything plugged into the USB gets rid of most of the infotainment bugs in my car.

I used MediaMonkey to generate standard M3U playlists, and they appeared when browsing under Playlist. I used relative rather than absolute paths.

What's your firmware version? There's a few cars that went out with outdated firmware apparently.

I did get the M3U playlist to work.

That should help a lot with playing 10,000 mp3's using shuffle.

I picked up a s GT on Halloween night.

Tinkering with it tonight and playing with Wifi, I had enabled hot spot on my iPhone and it connected but then navigation screen had warning "Your Licenses have expired or are invalid." ... then I went back to audio and XM was last used and it played XM Music but had no song display / etc info up and said Check XM Antenna. HD Radio wasn't showing graphics anymore for stations/etc that did. I turned off the car and back on and same thing for XM and HD. I pulled the car into range of my house WiFi and connected to the house WiFi and then things have been fine. Wondering if that phone hotspot wifi attempt had a bad connection and effected some features?

Anyone seen that before? Don't want to go break stuff when I've only had it almost 24 hours.

Is there a way to mute the speakers from the steering wheel or just with the volume control knob on console?
I tried voice control but it thinks I want USB when I say mute.

Tinkering with it tonight and playing with Wifi, I had enabled hot spot on my iPhone and it connected but then navigation screen had warning "Your Licenses have expired or are invalid." ... then I went back to audio and XM was last used and it played XM Music but had no song display / etc info up and said Check XM Antenna. HD Radio wasn't showing graphics anymore for stations/etc that did. I turned off the car and back on and same thing for XM and HD. I pulled the car into range of my house WiFi and connected to the house WiFi and then things have been fine. Wondering if that phone hotspot wifi attempt had a bad connection and effected some features?

Anyone seen that before? Don't want to go break stuff when I've only had it almost 24 hours.

Is there a way to mute the speakers from the steering wheel or just with the volume control knob on console?

The first few times for me gave me the license expired warning, just keep trying and it will go away. After the first day I never saw error message again. No way of doing it from the steering wheel but its pretty easy to mash on the volume control for mute. Congrats on the car!!

The first few times for me gave me the license expired warning, just keep trying and it will go away. After the first day I never saw error message again. No way of doing it from the steering wheel but its pretty easy to mash on the volume control for mute. Congrats on the car!!

Thanks.. coming from a 2003 Mazda 6 s. The 6 was getting to expensive for my wallet to keep repairing. I really hope this one is better when 80,000 miles or so comes around and doesn't turn into a money pit. I was looking at other brands but this was best bang for the buck in my price range right now with the tech toys I was looking at getting.

I get that message too. I'll try retrying till it goes away, I guess.

I believe that error is related to the Nav Connected Services 60 day trial. If you tether your car to your phone you can pay $69/year for the following features:
Local Search
Fuel Price Information
Live Traffic
Live Weather Information

https://mazda-na.naviextras.com/shop/portal/newCatalog?view=item&salesPackageCode=68831

I believe that error is related to the Nav Connected Services 60 day trial. If you tether your car to your phone you can pay $69/year for the following features:
Local Search
Fuel Price Information
Live Traffic
Live Weather Information

https://mazda-na.naviextras.com/shop/portal/newCatalog?view=item&salesPackageCode=68831

Yeah, or you can get that from Google/WAZE for Free. If only there was a power point within reach of a windshield-mounted smartphone anyway.

I'm going to see if the CD player can be swapped out for the dash plate from the i SV that has the two power points in it.

I'm going to see if the CD player can be swapped out for the dash plate from the i SV that has the two power points in it.

Let us know how that goes :D I just want to take that out and have more room to store stuff there lol really weird place for a CD player anyways =/

Let us know how that goes :D I just want to take that out and have more room to store stuff there lol really weird place for a CD player anyways =/

It should be possible, I just don't know how difficult it would be. Depends on how modular the assemblies are. But yeah, wierd place for a CD player, you can tell they pretty much just ran out of room. And that it was a low priority.

I was talking to my Mazda satisfaction rep, and I made it a point to mention that the CD player should be a dealer-addon accessory for next model year. I strongly doubt demand is all that high for them anymore, and a dash-mount power point is more useful.

Today I had issue where when I turned on car the XM radio music played for a second then stopped and I changed channels, muted / unmuted and no audio still. Changed to FM then back to XM and heard music again.

Does anyone know what the current versions are?
OS Version 20.00.007
Music Database 00.00.012

I've had that happen when it chokes on something on the usb stick. I also noticed that when it's in that condition, attempting to make a phonecall reboots the system.

I also took the SD card out today and updated it via Mazda toolbox. Took awhile, and one file failed to download properly so it updated then said there was one update and just downloaded the one file that was a problem earlier and all is good. At least it didn't do the whole download process again.

Funny thing is I plugged in directions to my hometown and it came up with the city being in IL but had the right state in second line. This is the only navigation system I've seen (besides Facebook locations) that gets the town state wrong. It is a IL/WI border town, but pretty big town. I sent an email to the contact us email on the mazda toolbox site. Not a big deal, it does the directions right just kind of funny. Maybe they'll get it fixed before the 3 year free updates expires.

I've had that happen when it chokes on something on the usb stick. I also noticed that when it's in that condition, attempting to make a phonecall reboots the system.

Sounds like we need another Ctrl-Alt-Del solution other then the ON/OFF button (lol2)

Back