Your Best Source for Genuine Mazda Parts!
Your Best Source for Genuine Mazda Parts!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Heated Mirror Retrofit to Sport and Touring Models

Registered Member

Mazda5 2015 GS

There should be no other switch or relay. This is a PIC I grabbed from the schematics, should be as simple as previous GEN, unless they disconnected something or removed a wire from the harness.
    I'll share my findings once I disconnect and probe those door connectors (C-29 and C-30)
    C-04 Might be difficult to reach under the dash...

Last edited by MarioT; 05-15-2015 at 03:55 PM.

Registered Member

You're absolutely on the right track. You should be looking for a Light Green wire in the door if I'm reading that right.

Registered Member

Mazda5 2015 GS

I'm making slight progress here: I was able to trace Light Green wire up to C-04 Connector inside, under the dash.
    But was unable to get a clear image of what's between C-04 -> C-29 using a snake lighted camera.

I also got the Light Green/ Black wire inside the doors. I just hope they haven't "deleted" that Light Green wire from the inside hardness. That could make my install way more difficult that it needs to be.

Will keep digging more and report back!

2005 Mazda 3

I'm the guy with the old walkthrough from the 3. I did this on a '08 Mz5 which is when I discovered the wiring was opposite the 3. I ended up just using a wire tap onto the factory wiring, though to be honest if I'd had a computer graveyard handy I would have done the same as the OP. Hoping to jump into the project in the next week or so with my 2012 5 (picked up yesterday). Now I'm hoping the '12 model doesn't have the issue the '15 apparently has.. Guess I'll be pulling the multimeter out and checking the wires before I disassemble everything.

Registered Member

Mazda5 2015 GS

Quote Originally Posted by icspots View Post
    Now I'm hoping the '12 model doesn't have the issue the '15 apparently has.. Guess I'll be pulling the multimeter out and checking the wires before I disassemble everything.
    I suggest you have a thorough look under the dash, passenger side (behind glovebox). A mirror and a good flashlight might be enough to see from both sides of this connector.

On mine I can find Mirror Defrost +12V LG (Light Green) wire coming from the firewall, but it stops there. Nothing is connected on the other side on C04. Door harness is complete though.
    That a project I'll finish later this summer... but from my understanding, I'll need to tap from this wire to feed both doors harnesses.

2005 Mazda 3

Quote Originally Posted by MarioT View Post
    I suggest you have a thorough look under the dash, passenger side (behind glovebox). A mirror and a good flashlight might be enough to see from both sides of this connector.

On mine I can find Mirror Defrost +12V LG (Light Green) wire coming from the firewall, but it stops there. Nothing is connected on the other side on C04. Door harness is complete though.
    That a project I'll finish later this summer... but from my understanding, I'll need to tap from this wire to feed both doors harnesses.
    Which wire where? So the wire itself is present coming into the cabin? Or there's power that comes into the cabin but there's no wire in the cabin? Is it a switched 12v or switched ground? If it's switched 12v and we know where the appropriate wire is I don't have an issue running my own wire and just grounding in the door. If it's a switched ground, same difference because I can just tap the 12v constant going to the puddle lamps I installed in the mirror housings (or which will be going there once I wire them up inside the car. ).

If none of that works could we use one of the wires coming out of the back of the HVAC controls to trigger a relay to power the mirrors? If so do you know which one could be used as a trigger?
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

Mazda5 2015 GS

Quote Originally Posted by icspots View Post
    So the wire itself is present coming into the cabin?
    Yes, from the firewall, behind the glovebox

Is it a switched 12v or switched ground?
    Switched +12V, taken from the schematics, and confirmed by probing the fuse. Defrost relay is feeding for the mirrors too.
    All that is missing is 2 wires to feed from the firewall connector, to both doors connectors.

I installed in the mirror housings (or which will be going there once I wire them up inside the car. ).
    I'm at the same stage... just missing the time to finish that project

If none of that works could we use one of the wires coming out of the back of the HVAC controls to trigger a relay to power the mirrors? If so do you know which one could be used as a trigger?
    Shouldn't be needed... Defrost relay is already doing this job, and gets controlled by a timer in the BCM so it isn't ON all the time if forgotten.

2005 Mazda 3

Can you point me towards the correct wire/port/plug/location to pull the power from to run the wires? Descriptions are good. Pictures are also good . Given that I've pulled apart the dash three times this week, including one completely avoidable instance tracking down a problem which didn't exist, I'm pretty much a pro at it. It's a bit time consuming since you have to remove the center console to remove the glove compartment, but once it's out you have full access to all of the wiring
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

Selling the mirror glass featured in this write up!

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...he-garage-sale!

Registered Member

Mazda 5 2012

icspots, were you able to install the heated mirror on your Mazda5 2012?
    Could you please post the results of your wiring research.
    I have a 2012 and the mirrors get iced-over too often around here

2005 Mazda 3

Valentinmtl

I never did get around to tracking which wire in the fuse box needs to be extended to the doors, and never heard back from MarioT. While I was dithering on that project someone clipped my driver side mirror while they were busy running a red light. Broke the glass with the heated element and cracked (but didn't destroy) my mirror housing.

I'd like to get back to this project at some point, but now I'm going to have to order a replacement heated glass because my stock is back in the housing now.

Registered Member

Mazda5 2015 GS

Sorry, never came back to it as it is still Work In Progress. Not enough time and the second car took too much of my time lately.

Current status is that door harnesses has everything needed from factory. I needed to add 2 wires from the doors to the main harness that comes in from the firewall.
    Had to fish through both doors connectors and solder directly to door harnesses. Still need to solder the other side, deep under the dash, to the main harness. NOT a fun job in perspective

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by MarioT View Post
    Sorry, never came back to it as it is still Work In Progress. Not enough time and the second car took too much of my time lately.

Current status is that door harnesses has everything needed from factory. I needed to add 2 wires from the doors to the main harness that comes in from the firewall.
    Had to fish through both doors connectors and solder directly to door harnesses. Still need to solder the other side, deep under the dash, to the main harness. NOT a fun job in perspective
    That sucks! It's on with the rear defroster circuit if that helps with the wiring. I'm surprised they shorted the wiring on the main harness, seems more expensive to have 2 main harnesses but I guess they don't sell as many top trims to justify it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12