Heated Mirror Retrofit to Sport and Touring Models

I suggest you have a thorough look under the dash, passenger side (behind glovebox). A mirror and a good flashlight might be enough to see from both sides of this connector.

On mine I can find Mirror Defrost +12V LG (Light Green) wire coming from the firewall, but it stops there. Nothing is connected on the other side on C04. Door harness is complete though.
That a project I'll finish later this summer... but from my understanding, I'll need to tap from this wire to feed both doors harnesses.

Which wire where? So the wire itself is present coming into the cabin? Or there's power that comes into the cabin but there's no wire in the cabin? Is it a switched 12v or switched ground? If it's switched 12v and we know where the appropriate wire is I don't have an issue running my own wire and just grounding in the door. If it's a switched ground, same difference because I can just tap the 12v constant going to the puddle lamps I installed in the mirror housings (or which will be going there once I wire them up inside the car. ;)).

If none of that works could we use one of the wires coming out of the back of the HVAC controls to trigger a relay to power the mirrors? If so do you know which one could be used as a trigger?

So the wire itself is present coming into the cabin?

Yes, from the firewall, behind the glovebox

Is it a switched 12v or switched ground?

Switched +12V, taken from the schematics, and confirmed by probing the fuse. Defrost relay is feeding for the mirrors too.
All that is missing is 2 wires to feed from the firewall connector, to both doors connectors.

I installed in the mirror housings (or which will be going there once I wire them up inside the car. ;)).

I'm at the same stage... just missing the time to finish that project :(

If none of that works could we use one of the wires coming out of the back of the HVAC controls to trigger a relay to power the mirrors? If so do you know which one could be used as a trigger?

Shouldn't be needed... Defrost relay is already doing this job, and gets controlled by a timer in the BCM so it isn't ON all the time if forgotten.

Can you point me towards the correct wire/port/plug/location to pull the power from to run the wires? Descriptions are good. Pictures are also good :). Given that I've pulled apart the dash three times this week, including one completely avoidable instance tracking down a problem which didn't exist, I'm pretty much a pro at it. It's a bit time consuming since you have to remove the center console to remove the glove compartment, but once it's out you have full access to all of the wiring

icspots, were you able to install the heated mirror on your Mazda5 2012?
Could you please post the results of your wiring research.
I have a 2012 and the mirrors get iced-over too often around here:)

Valentinmtl

I never did get around to tracking which wire in the fuse box needs to be extended to the doors, and never heard back from MarioT. While I was dithering on that project someone clipped my driver side mirror while they were busy running a red light. Broke the glass with the heated element and cracked (but didn't destroy) my mirror housing.

I'd like to get back to this project at some point, but now I'm going to have to order a replacement heated glass because my stock is back in the housing now.

Sorry, never came back to it as it is still Work In Progress. Not enough time and the second car took too much of my time lately.

Current status is that door harnesses has everything needed from factory. I needed to add 2 wires from the doors to the main harness that comes in from the firewall.
Had to fish through both doors connectors and solder directly to door harnesses. Still need to solder the other side, deep under the dash, to the main harness. NOT a fun job in perspective :(

Sorry, never came back to it as it is still Work In Progress. Not enough time and the second car took too much of my time lately.

Current status is that door harnesses has everything needed from factory. I needed to add 2 wires from the doors to the main harness that comes in from the firewall.
Had to fish through both doors connectors and solder directly to door harnesses. Still need to solder the other side, deep under the dash, to the main harness. NOT a fun job in perspective :(
That sucks! It's on with the rear defroster circuit if that helps with the wiring. I'm surprised they shorted the wiring on the main harness, seems more expensive to have 2 main harnesses but I guess they don't sell as many top trims to justify it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I came across this post the other day so I ordered a set of mirrors complete from eBay for $88.00. I checked the wires tonight and they are there at the plug and working with the defrost switch. The mirrors will be here tomorrow and should only take about 10 minutes to do.

I came across this post the other day so I ordered a set of mirrors complete from eBay for $88.00. I checked the wires tonight and they are there at the plug and working with the defrost switch. The mirrors will be here tomorrow and should only take about 10 minutes to do.

Dave, I am not sure which year your car is, but this not a simple plug and play. As others mentioned, the door harnesses have the correct wires already in place. I noticed recently that the interior fuse box has a spot label M.DEF with a 7.5A fuse. However, there is no fuse or any wiring in place. I need to find some time to take half the front panel apart to do the tracing.

I hate to revive an old thread, but davecrash were you able to make your mirror retrofit work? I have a 2017 CX-5 Touring and in SW PA, heated mirrors are a must. My mirrors don't defrost at all in the 45 minutes it takes me to drive to work, and it's getting really annoying.

I hate to revive an old thread, but davecrash were you able to make your mirror retrofit work? I have a 2017 CX-5 Touring and in SW PA, heated mirrors are a must. My mirrors don't defrost at all in the 45 minutes it takes me to drive to work, and it's getting really annoying.

You could try making your own de-icer spray. Mix isopropyl alcohol (or methanol) and water in a 2:1 ratio and put it in a spray bottle. Spray it on the mirrors and use a small ice scraper or an old gift card to wipe the ice away. It's not the most elegant solution, but it should do the trick.

they plugged right in and worked on my 2010 mazda 5 and have been working great for the couple of years since, i still have the car.

I have a 2012 M5 sport without heated mirrors, I can order heated mirrors from another year model and just plug and play?

What year vehicle were the heated mirrors from?
My 2012 Mazda 5 does not have the mirror wires connected to the defrost switch. I took it appart, and measured with a multimeter. I never got around to find where they decided to forgo the mirror hearing wires, the door harness or somewhere else. Try with a multimeter before buying.

My 2012 Mazda 5 does not have the mirror wires connected to the defrost switch. I took it appart, and measured with a multimeter. I never got around to find where they decided to forgo the mirror hearing wires, the door harness or somewhere else. Try with a multimeter before buying.
Yup, second gen there’s no connection from the inside of the door jam connector to the fuse box.

Back