Needs help with Transfer case fluid change

dapple08

:
Mazda cx9 GT
Hi guys, I'm new to the forum. I had a 2008 Mazda CX9 GT with 32500 miles on it. I just changed the rear differential oil and while I'm at it. I wanted to change the transfer case oil too, after spending 30 minutes looking for the drain plug, couldn't find it... help me please. Oh I did find the fill plug though. Any suggestion will appreciated. thanks

Attachments

• drain  plug.jpg
    drain plug.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 910
Unlike the differential, changing fluid in transfercase is not recommended by Mazda.

It is hard to imagine that the fluid won’t have to be changed at some point. I don’t know too much about transfer cases, but assuming the gear oil is exposed to heat and shearing forces, at some point the oil will start to degrade. We’ve debated the issue of “lifetime fluid” here in regard to transmissions and I would think similar issues apply to the transfer case. Wouldn’t it make sense from time to time to extract some fluid out of fill hole and check for contamination, sludging, etc?

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum. I had a 2008 Mazda CX9 GT with 32500 miles on it. I just changed the rear differential oil and while I'm at it. I wanted to change the transfer case oil too, after spending 30 minutes looking for the drain plug, couldn't find it... help me please. Oh I did find the fill plug though. Any suggestion will appreciated. thanks

I am thinking about changing the transfer case fluid of my 08 CX-9. Have you been able to do it on yours? How did you do it?

Dapple08, is that a removable cover that the fill plug is screwed into in your picture? I am thinking that cover must be removed to drain fluid. I had a rear diff like that on a Jeep some years ago. It makes job a little harder but still doable by a home DIY mechanic.

here you go :

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123847373-Changing-CX-9-transfer-case-gear-oil-%28photos%29

I'm so glad I found this website and many many many thanks to Avidien for posting the how to procedure for transfer case maintenance. When I see co-workers or even complete strangers driving AWD CX9 or Ford Edge or Lincoln MKX, I ask them if they know about the transfer case problem, 100% of the time they say no, I tell them to go to this site and read up on the issue. The more I read about it online, the more upset I am with Mazda for not stepping up to the plate to resolve the issue, see link below for some unfortunate CX9 owners with failed transfer case. Mazda needs to step up, especially when there are kids in the cars.

http://m.carcomplaints.com/Mazda/CX-9/2010/drivetrain/power_train.shtml

I'm so glad I found this website and many many many thanks to Avidien for posting the how to procedure for transfer case maintenance. When I see co-workers or even complete strangers driving AWD CX9 or Ford Edge or Lincoln MKX, I ask them if they know about the transfer case problem, 100% of the time they say no, I tell them to go to this site and read up on the issue. The more I read about it online, the more upset I am with Mazda for not stepping up to the plate to resolve the issue, see link below for some unfortunate CX9 owners with failed transfer case. Mazda needs to step up, especially when there are kids in the cars.

http://m.carcomplaints.com/Mazda/CX-9/2010/drivetrain/power_train.shtml

You're very welcome, glad I can help.

I'm close to 70,000 miles now with absolutely no issues with the transfer case, I've been changing the oil at 36K, 60K, 66K miles.
I'm 100% positive the problem is due to the lack of OEM oil maintenance and Mazda's mistake for not calling it out in the maintenance schedule.

IMHO, if Mazda doesn't want to do a full blown recall, at the very least,
Mazda should train their mechanics to service the transfer case and all their problems will go away.
Not all owners are DIY'ers or just simply don't have the tools or space to do it.

Mazda should just offer the transfer case maintenance as standard at ALL their dealerships at a reasonable price,
I would say $79 is reasonable for the work involved and new 75W140 oil.

Last edited:
Back