Banging when on bumpy roads

Mork

:
Mazda 5 Furano 2006
When driving over bumps or potholes there is something banging underneath at the rear, especially when the car is loaded. Is this caused by the shock absorbers? They don't appear wet and have passed the MOT recently, and the exhaust is fine. The only other thing I thought it could be was the subframe bushes, but it's only done 40k (2006 model).
If it is the shocks, what are the best replacements that will last longer? I've been thinking KYB ones, don't want to spend silly money on it as I'm considering selling it anyway.

Thanks!

Struts and shocks are cheap and known to fail on the 5s but I would bet money it is the swaybar bushings.

Both front and rear swaybar bushings are known points of failure. Let them go too long and all the action will kill the endlinks as well.
Yes the struts and shocks are shockingly lousy, but another UK poster mentioned that the KYBs we all depend on in North America are outrageously overpriced over there. Do the bushings 1st - you can DIY those. If knocking still occurs, look into the rear shocks and shock mounts.
Stock wheels and tyre size, correct?

You can push down quickly on the rear bumper to see if it bounces. If it doesn't bounce and has no obvious fluid leaking from the shocks, I'd be looking for something else.

You can push down quickly on the rear bumper to see if it bounces. If it doesn't bounce and has no obvious fluid leaking from the shocks, I'd be looking for something else.

FYI I broke the white clips that hold the top of my bumper cover tight to the body doing that.

Back