Loose CX-5 Spoiler Inserts

Bex19

:
2014 Mazda CX-5 GT
Hey guys, anyone have loose spoiler inserts on their rear hatch. If so how do you tighten them up. They rattle quite a bit..well atleast one does.

Thanks

Hard to tell what your referring too but personally I'd take it to the dealership since its under warranty...

To clarify

mazda-cx-5-2013.jpg

I posted something about those parts a few days ago but no one has replied. I also want to remove those.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    547.8 KB · Views: 1,754
To remove the insert you have to uninstall the whole rear spoiler to gain access to the bolts securing the plastic insert and the spoiler. hope this pics help .

Thanx for all the info. I havent heard of anyone else having this issue. I came across it while investigating a strange rattle coming from the tailgate area when hitting large cracks and potholes in the road. I think Driving on the crappy Jersey Highways may have shook em loose. I may wait until my first service to get it taken care of with a few other rattles. Thanx again.

Digging up this old dinosaur... any one else experiencing these things coming loose? The driver's side one on mine is definitely loose, and rattles quite a bit. Apparently the only way to remove/reinstall them is to take off the whole spoiler, which I wasn't about to do.

Hey guys, anyone have loose spoiler inserts on their rear hatch. If so how do you tighten them up. They rattle quite a bit..well atleast one does.

Thanks

Why don't you see if you can jam some rubber strips under it where it meets the window to tighten it up until you can get it fixed at service.
I had to do that to my RX-7 which had the louviers over the large rear window. Used to rattle like crazy until I cut a couple small strips of rubber and inserted them under the edges of the louvier.

Why don't you see if you can jam some rubber strips under it where it meets the window to tighten it up until you can get it fixed at service.
I had to do that to my RX-7 which had the louviers over the large rear window. Used to rattle like crazy until I cut a couple small strips of rubber and inserted them under the edges of the louvier.

I might just do that and forget about it. I don't like having my vehicle torn apart unless absolutely necessary... it looks like some thin foam or rubber strips would slide under there easily enough.

There is a TSB on those spoiler supports loosening up, but I'll be damned if I can find it right now. I think the screws that secure them are located on the underside of the hatch under rubber plugs.

There is a TSB on those spoiler supports loosening up, but I'll be damned if I can find it right now. I think the screws that secure them are located on the underside of the hatch under rubber plugs.

I know there are several TSBs for a rear rattle... I think one has to do with the spoiler screws/nuts themselves, not those for the plastic trim pieces (although I could be wrong). and the other has to do with the liftgate lock striker. Regarding the first, If memory serves me correctly, I think the spoiler attachment nuts can come loose and rattle around in the housing under the plastic. However, when I removed the interior panels, I inspected all 4 of the spoiler screws, and all nuts are securely attached. Two of those spoiler screws are under the rubber plugs you've mentioned, the other two are behind the upper center piece.

But not only are there the 4 screws for the spoiler, I think there is some double sided tape on the ends of the spoiler, which is why I decided not to go any further with tearing it apart. I don't have any tape to replace what was used during the build.

I was using this as a guide:

http://www.mcx5.org/rear_spoiler_removal_installation-463.html

Edit- having just reread the above article, it does look like you can remove the trim pieces without removing the whole spoiler. But I'm always hesitant to jam a screwdriver into places like that, whether its wrapped in protective coating or not. Further, I still think I'd either need to add some tape of other type of insert to get them to stay nice and tight.

Last edited:
I was at the dealers today having my roof rails installed. Told the "service advisor" that supports were loose and rattling. He had no clue what I was talking about so I took him outside and showed him where I had put foam pieces to stop the rattle. When the car was finished he said it was all set...i asked if it was tightened and he said "no, it wasn't loose. If I hear a rattle it's probably my license plate." Told him I tested it without plate and it still did it. He then handed me my paperwork and said thank you. Great service!! I'll be servicing at another dealer from now on and sending an email to the service manager before I review my experience.

YES!!! i have the exact same problem. the dealership purchased new ones and will replace old ones. such a waste of time. but its their money because the car is still covered under the 2year warranty. Initally i had a squeaking noise and that was coming from the spoiler. and then after they fixed that, the inserts started making the rattling noises. SO IRRITATING. I hope i dont have to go back again!!

had this problem on my wife's CX-5.. dealer fixed it no problem. It was to a point where I could hear squeaking noises every time I would drive and I thought at first it was the brakes.

Today, I have looked at my rear spoiler(I remember, somebody pointed out a couple of days ago, about this noise coming from the back, but I can't find that thread), because I was hearing some weird noises coming from the rear.
I have removed the two rubber plugs, behind the spoiler and to my surprise, on the left side, the nut it was gone, I couldn't find it and on the right it was loose, I could turn it with my fingers.
I would suggest to everybody, to look at your spoilers.

Today, I have looked at my rear spoiler(I remember, somebody pointed out a couple of days ago, about this noise coming from the back, but I can't find that thread), because I was hearing some weird noises coming from the rear.
I have removed the two rubber plugs, behind the spoiler and to my surprise, on the left side, the nut it was gone, I couldn't find it and on the right it was loose, I could turn it with my fingers.
I would suggest to everybody, to look at your spoilers.

This!!!! I've had this rattling noise for a while in my 2016 CX5 GS. I took it to the dealer twice. First they thought it was the cargo cover, nop. Then they thought it was license plate and cover, so they zipped tied the bottom holes, but nop. Then they thought it was my back light assembly, so they put some foam to secure it, nop. Then last night, I was reading this thread and removed the rubber plugs (easily removable with fingers). And the left side was loose, so I tightened that. The right side was fine.

So I strongly recommend checking this. It looks like they didn't tighten it out of the factory.

I'm wondering, where could be that nut? Most likely, my next nosy encounter will be, when that nut gets loose.
Today, I had another very nosy situation, but this time it was coming from the front.
When I opened the hood, I have noticed one of the sheet metal screws, sticking out like an inch(!) and most likely hitting the hood, when the road was very rough.
I can blame the body shop for this, because they have replaced the headlamp, after a small accident that I had, a while back. Also, another screw it was loose, which holds the headlamp to the fender.
Screws/bolts are getting loose, it is a good idea to look around and start tightening some of them.

Last edited:
The issue is 2 fold, at least it was for me. Once you open the rear hatch, there are 3 rubber plugs on both top ends and middle. Both of the end nuts that attach the spoiler were loose - one actually fell off.

That was the 1st source of rattle I had.

You can take the plastic panes off as well, but I believe there have been a TSB to deal with this specific issue.

Bringing this thread back again. I've had the strange rattling in the rear since I bought mine last month. One day last week, as I was closing the hatch, I could hear something actually rolling around inside. I tore into it and found one of the 4 nuts had completely come off and another was about to!

Passenger side outer:

44242896100_a4195233ca_c.jpg

Passenger side inner holding on by about a thread and a half:

44242895890_d5fb8ebe3c_c.jpg

I feel like if Mazda had simply gone with a serrated flange nut, we wouldn't be discussing this. These are smooth on the bottom and don't really provide any bite. I took off all of them and reinstalled with a dab of blue Loctite on each of them. I took it for a ride and didn't hear anything, so hopefully that's all it was.

Back