Android users: which audio player is working best for you?

danieljw

:
2014 CX-5
I've been driving my 2014 GT for a few weeks and am still fighting with getting bluetooth to function properly. This is irritating because my aftermarket Pioneer on my trade-in was absolutely flawless.

I have a late model Motorola RAZR M (XT907) running Android 4.1.2, which should work just fine with the car's unit. But! Often, audio will not resume properly after turning the car off, or will not properly send the title/album/artist metadata properly. I know that some players support AVCRP better than others, and I'm wondering what's working best for you.

I have used PowerAMP since forever, which I love, but it seems to really struggle with resuming audio properly.

If you could please help by listing your device and audio players you're using, I'd really appreciate it!

I've been a lurker, so I'm gracing you with my first post :)

I just got my 2014 GT two weeks ago and the only big turn-off is the headunit; I've tried multiple iPods (video, classic, nano 5th gen), the latter two being officially "supported" in the car manual. It takes 5 minutes minimum to even read and start the iPod UI and then playlists don't even work properly (it just plays the first song of the library instead of the song you chose). I've resorted to using my Google Play account (can upload 20,000 songs for free and stream anywhere) and stream the audio over bluetooth - there is a slight delay, but the info shows correctly, it starts automatically, and where you left off. I'm really disappointed with the iPod controls.

*edit* Phone is Galaxy S4 Android 4.1.2.

i also got my 2014 GT (no-tech) 2 weeks ago... and like clush i have tried different apps and connections. i had a 2nd gen ipod that worked flawlessly in my g35, but is a nightmare in this car. my wife's iphone5 seemed to work fine but i only tested it for 10min. i have an HTC One and ive broken it down to 2 scenarios: 1) if im just cruising and dont need directions, USB flash drive works best for response time/sound quality by far. i just use one of those micro thumb drives so it doesnt take up much space. i have yet to find a way for it to "resume" however after a cold start. from what ive read, the 2014 models will not resume audio. 2) if im going to use my bluetooth for Navigation via Google Maps-- then Google Music player is the only app that will continue to play music at a lowered volume while the Maps VO speaks directions. all other apps Spotify/HTC music player/Waze App etc will pause whenever Google Maps VO comes on. quite annoying. hope this helps--

I have the 2014 GT with the tech package, and an HTC ONE X, with AT&T wireless. When I first got the car, my HTC was still running an older android version (the one prior to Jellybean.) With that version, the USB would make it act like any USB flash drive, and it would not resume on restart, etc. When I upgraded the OS on the phone to Jellybean, the USB would no longer connect. Come to find out, Google removed "USB Mass Storage Mode" from the Android Jellybean. Since the Mazda system doesn't support MTP mode, the USB won't work anymore. It still will charge the phone but that is it.

If you have different phones or carriers its possible that you still have mass storage mode because they can add that back in even if the base Android OS doesn't have it. Since AT&T didn't, I started using bluetooth. It works fine for me, with only one problem so far: it seems to pick the music player at random. I have several music players installed including the HTC default one and Amazon MP3. It does successfully resume where it left off, on each music player separately. BUT, you can't seem to control which player gets invoked when it receives the 'Play' command from bluetooth.

I have seen posts on android forums where people have given instructions on how to configure the default apps for various events including music playing. However the HTC phone doesn't seem to have those settings menus that are necessary to configure it. Looks like HTC either didn't implement those options or its hidden and I cannot find it. At this point in time I'm just dealing with it. Not much I can do. AT&T doesn't put out frequent updates to the phones, and I am not one of those people who are going to hack their phone and customize the operating system.

An update.

I installed "aftermarket" software on my phone in the form of an Android ROM based on version 4.3. I have to say, my connectivity and bluetooth function has been flawless compared to the Android 4.1 software I was running, using PowerAMP as my player. Track info displays perfectly and the phone connects and resumes playing as expected when the car starts. A sidenote here is that I turned off the app's option to resume on bluetooth connection to the car. Seems that the CX-5 sends its own resume signal.

To atitus: I too had a similar problem with multiple apps fighting for bluetooth headset controls. My solution was to uninstall/disable apps that I didn't use. I only need a music app and a podcatcher on my phone, so it works out fine for me.

Back