Rearview mirror dimming not adequate...

ZORG

:
2014 Mazda 6 Grand Touring
Hi Everyone,

I'm finding that the rear view mirror dimming does not come on soon enough, or dark enough, to prevent me from being blinded as the sun sets and people start turning on their headlights. It seems to detect ambient light (rather than light being shined into it), and as a result does not dim enough to prevent lights from hurting my eyes. Anyone else having this problem? Maybe there is a setting I missed, or mine is defective? I'm thinking of getting the rear window tinted just because of this, but I thought I would check here first. Any other ideas? Thanks!

Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like the dimming feature turns on when your headlights are on.

Hi Everyone,

I'm finding that the rear view mirror dimming does not come on soon enough, or dark enough, to prevent me from being blinded as the sun sets and people start turning on their headlights. It seems to detect ambient light (rather than light being shined into it), and as a result does not dim enough to prevent lights from hurting my eyes. Anyone else having this problem? Maybe there is a setting I missed, or mine is defective? I'm thinking of getting the rear window tinted just because of this, but I thought I would check here first. Any other ideas? Thanks!

Yes, mine is weak also in the dark. My 2010 CX-9 auto-dim mirror works much better. I'll be taking mine in for service soon and I'll ask them if they can "adjust" it so it dims better than it does now.

I'm pretty sure it's only ambient light initiated. On the front of the mirror there should be a sensor that detects light and when enough light is not registered the dimming function initiates. I would think this be the case for safety reasons so that it doesn't dim during the daytime. There is a sensor in the same position on my e46 bmw.
(2cents)

Edit: The forward facing sensor detects ambient light and then the rearward facing sensor detects the headlights to darken.

On my e46 it works . . . But sometimes it doesn't.

Last edited:
I have wondered about this, but my back windshield is a 7% tint, so I am not sure mine will ever even trigger. I haven't noticed if it has.

Back