MSP Full Build

BoostProtege

:
2003 Mazdaspeed Protege
I cant find info anywhere. Im doing a full build on my MSP, bore .020, forged crank, forged eagle rods, forged wiseco pistons, stage3 clutch, ARP head studs and bolts, AEM management(replacing SplitSecond), 440cc injectors, possibly 255lph fuel pump. Gonna be looking at about 400hp/380ftlbs torque just an estimate. Transmission was rebuilt with all OEM parts(I believe) about 8k miles ago with a non-pucked Valeo clutch, and the head was replaced about 2k miles ago with a brand new OEM FS cylinder head. My questions are how much boost/power can the stock valve springs and retainers hold? should they be upgraded as well or would stock work? and the transmission, will it hold all that power and give me the torque i need without blowing up with just a stage 3 clutch and flywheel? Any info helps, thanks

I'm new to the msp thing myself, but not to boosting. I have always stuck by the saying "if stock, nine is fine". I wouldn't go anywhere past nine psi unless you do serious upgrades. This is just my thoughts, maybe one of the msp veterans will have better insight

you run the risk of blowing the trans to pieces with that amount of power if your on a stock lsd, and gears. definitely upgrade the LSD to a m-factory LSD. the stock valve train should be able to handle the power as long as it has had a port and polish to open up some airflow. Crank is already forged from factory. would need to upgrade rods and pistons. you can go with an AEM standalone but many guys have used Haltechs, Micro-techs, or Mega Squirts as standalones. a gt2871 should be able to get you to mid 300's a gt30 definitely will get you into the 400's if you havent shredded apart any gears yet by that time. many will tell you to go with a PAR straight cut gear set. a few have gotten away with using GTX gears holding that power. honestly itll come down how well you drive the car with all that power. but dont be surprised if you break a few things to obtain those numbers. not too many people are out there with those numbers using the fs-de .

OH! and i would suggest maybe 600cc injectors or maybe even bigger for the #'s youre aiming for.

I was at 15 with basic mods like full 3" turbo back exhaust, inter cooler hard pipes, fuel cut defender, AEM CAI, split second piggy back, hks bov, bigger smic, stuff like that but with god knows what tune on it(I never tuned it) it was spiking to 20 and I started to get a rod knock, decided to test my luck and turned the boost down to 12 and blew a bent rod through both sides of the block breaking it off the piston and scarring the crank so I figured do a whole build but I don't wanna put a bunch of money into head work when it's pretty much brand new and my mechanic doing the build doesn't know how much it can handle safely, same with the tranny

Yeah going with AEM standalone and was thinking gt28rs and 660 injectors, I know everything is gonna be wanting to break with the full build, but in the meantime you think I'd be good with just a different LSD?

well youll def need a built bottom end. a stock block spiking to 20psi?!?!?! thats just insane. only a select few have run 12psi for years with good luck and a good tune being fully bolted. so the fact that you blew a rod doesnt surprise me. the ssafc is good up to 15-16 psi unless you can upgrade the map sensor somehow, which i think u can. or you can use a ssftc which does timing and can handle up to 26ish psi on the map sensor. i have a 0 mileage built block sitting in my garage which ill part with for the right price. just a little fyi. but back on topic. built block, oem head is ok, but recommended to have some p&p. a def an upgraded LSD. the stock one can blow around 250ish whp.

I was at 15 with basic mods like full 3" turbo back exhaust, inter cooler hard pipes, fuel cut defender, AEM CAI, split second piggy back, hks bov, bigger smic, stuff like that but with god knows what tune on it(I never tuned it) it was spiking to 20 and I started to get a rod knock, decided to test my luck and turned the boost down to 12 and blew a bent rod through both sides of the block breaking it off the piston and scarring the crank so I figured do a whole build but I don't wanna put a bunch of money into head work when it's pretty much brand new and my mechanic doing the build doesn't know how much it can handle safely, same with the tranny

BoostProtege
Registered Member

2003 Mazdaspeed Protege

Yeah going with AEM standalone and was thinking gt28rs and 660 injectors, I know everything is gonna be wanting to break with the full build, but in the meantime you think I'd be good with just a different LSD?

well youll def need a built bottom end. a stock block spiking to 20psi?!?!?! thats just insane. only a select few have run 12psi for years with good luck and a good tune being fully bolted. so the fact that you blew a rod doesnt surprise me. the ssafc is good up to 15-16 psi unless you can upgrade the map sensor somehow, which i think u can. or you can use a ssftc which does timing and can handle up to 26ish psi on the map sensor. i have a 0 mileage built block sitting in my garage which ill part with for the right price. just a little fyi. but back on topic. built block, oem head is ok, but recommended to have some p&p. a def an upgraded LSD. the stock one can blow around 250ish whp.

What internals on the block and how much? I already ordered a used engine to take the block an crank then have the block cleaned , bored, honed, etc. yeah I broke a welded diff in half about 8k ago and replaced it with OEM but I think I'll just do that then do valvetrain later on

I already blew my tranny to a million pieces in my 00 eclipse, def don't wanna go down that road again

The trans will not hold at 400hp/tq, the gears are too weak and the lsd as well. Most have had luck with Haltechs but a standalone with someone that knows how to properly tune it will work regardless. You will want to upgrade your fuel pump so make that a priority and I would suggest a much larger injector for a hp/tq goal of over 400. You just have to make sure that your duty cycles work in regards to your fuel tables. Your head will work completely fine for those numbers, the air flow will be enough for that goal. I will say that allowing more airflow and getting oversized valves will only help but not doing it isn't going to hurt. Let me know if you need anything else.

The trans will not hold at 400hp/tq, the gears are too weak and the lsd as well. Most have had luck with Haltechs but a standalone with someone that knows how to properly tune it will work regardless. You will want to upgrade your fuel pump so make that a priority and I would suggest a much larger injector for a hp/tq goal of over 400. You just have to make sure that your duty cycles work in regards to your fuel tables. Your head will work completely fine for those numbers, the air flow will be enough for that goal. I will say that allowing more airflow and getting oversized valves will only help but not doing it isn't going to hurt. Let me know if you need anything else.

Thank guys! I appreciate the help. My mechanic said he goes to the track all the time but has never seen any protege put down power like that, corksport had one but I gues it broke something every time

If you plan on getting to that hp/tq goal I would suggest either getting a par gearset or possibly jump in on the group buy by MFactory going on right now. And you'll have a say in the first production run of them (gear ratios, synchros, etc.). While you're at it you might as well get a MFactory LSD too. I have a Quaife LSD and full PAR trans and it's pretty damn pricy. There are Proteges on this forum that have reached that goal and surpassed it, just takes dedication and money doesn't hurt either.

If you plan on getting to that hp/tq goal I would suggest either getting a par gearset or possibly jump in on the group buy by MFactory going on right now. And you'll have a say in the first production run of them (gear ratios, synchros, etc.). While you're at it you might as well get a MFactory LSD too. I have a Quaife LSD and full PAR trans and it's pretty damn pricy. There are Proteges on this forum that have reached that goal and surpassed it, just takes dedication and money doesn't hurt either.

thats an understatment lol. gotta pay to play

Back