Roof Rack options for 2014 Mazda3?

The 2013 3 had anchor points for roof racks (Thule/Yakima), but the 2014 doesn't seem to have anything visible. Are they hidden under the black roof line trim? Trying to find something for my sGT hatchback.

Thanks!

Have you checked that trim to see if there are plastic clips that slide (they'll have an arrow on them and will be slightly raised). If so, then the 2014 has the fixed points as did the 2nd gen. But have a feeling you are going to have to sit tight and wait for a bit. I just tried to fit the car on both Thule and Yakima's sites and they have nothing compatible at the moment. MazdaUSA.com doesn't even list the rack as an available accessory at the moment. Might want to try calling your local dealer or MedCenterMazda.com or OnlineMazdaParts.com to see what they have to say.

2014 Mazda3 has anchor points hidden under a strip but no sliding tabs, I checked it the other day.
I have no idea what it means but I am NOT buying anything without rack option.

Hmmmm, I'll have to look at that tonight. Curious to see how accessible these anchor points are under the strips. For my 2010, you just slide the tabs over and off with a screwdriver to reveal the anchor points.

*edit - Did stop tonight and checked both the hatch and sedans on the lot and noticed that the strips along the roof are one solid piece. Since it was pouring like hell I plan on going back to get a better look inside and out and plan on inquiring with a salesperson about the rack option.

Last edited:
It's a solid strip along the top. I spoke w/Mazda support and all they say is "the rack doesn't show as an accessory. Talk to your dealer." I'll be bummed if they don't have mount points, as I hate the grip mounts for the door frame. Major mistake on Mazda if it isn't rack compatible - and a mistake on my part not checking.

Well that would suck if your only option is the grip mounts. Just checked MazdaUSA's site and it does in fact list the roofrack as an accessory for the 5 door but not for the 4 door?

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20143.jpg
    20143.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 15,384
I took a closer look under the trim on the roof - there are the normal mounting points for a roof rack, just hidden under the black trim. The trim would have to be cut out in order to access the mounting holes. Hopefully Mazda will come out w/a modified trim to replace the stock one on the hatchbacks. If not, I figure it could be just cut and sealed off w/silicone.

My dealer told me to slide the rubber strip out from the rear of the track to locate the mounting points, then slice out a section of the strip to allow for the width of the bolt, and then remount the strip sections.

Checking the Yakima site, "Integrated Rack Attachment" doesn't yet show up as an option for the 2014 hatch - "Naked Roof" is the only option that appears.

I'm assuming once the Yakima site is updated, both Control Towers and Whispbars will be available. The question is what Landing Pad/Whispbar Fit Kit will they suggest?

Last edited:
No, the beauty of sliding tabs is that you can easily remove rack when it s not needed because it hurts gas milage by 5MPG!
I do not want to have exposed holes or much less use Yakima "landing pads".
BTW Yakima towers (option on 2013 M3) are extremely ugly compare to rack option on, say, Subaru wagon, made by who knows who,but nice.

^^^^This! It makes no sense to me why Mazda would make it so that you have to slice the strips yourself to mount the hardware....I question the dealers knowledge on that one. My only experience with racks though are using the factory rack on our MPV and the Thule rack on our 3 which has the slide tabs.

It's sunny today so maybe I'll get up to the dealer to check them out and see what they have to say...

Made it to the dealer earlier and test drove an iGrand Touring in Soul Red. Asked the salesman about the rack option and he wasn't sure so after the drive we went in and looked at the brochure. When we came up empty handed there he consulted with a manager who wasn't sure either. I raised what was posted earlier about having the strips cut and he said that may just be the case as that is what they do for the CX-5 to access the mount points. Seems kind of screwy to me seeing that if you want to take the rack off you are now left with the mount points exposed. Of course you could get new strips to slide in when the rack is off. (screwy)

Yes, I was thinking the same thing- new strips. Of course, once my rack mounts are on, they rarely come off.

Looking closer today, the mounting bracket is the same as on the 2013, just covered up by the moulding. It would just take drilling a hole through the molding that is slightly bigger than the hole used to hold the mounting bolt (same for 2013 & 2014). Just covering it up will require some sort of plug if I ever remove them. I'll likely get Yakima Whispbar mounts/bars, as they're betting looking than the Q towers and round bars. The parts dept @ the dealership said I could order replacement moulding strips - nice of him to offer!

Drilling through the strips seems better than slicing them. That said, I agree with the others this is kind of cheesy way of handling the rack mounts.

What is everyone hauling?

Love the look of roof racks, but don't love the MPG hit. I use a hitch rack now for my road bikes, and I'm hoping a no drill hitch comes out for the new 3. Kinda bummed about the mount points since I am considering switching to a roof rack and getting rid of my Kuat rack.

Roof racks just look so good.

My windsurfer has to go on the roof. So do sheets of plywood and lumber longer than 8'.

Last edited:
What is everyone hauling?

Love the look of roof racks, but don't love the MPG hit. I use a hitch rack now for my road bikes, and I'm hoping a no drill hitch comes out for the new 3. Kinda bummed about the mount points since I am considering switching to a roof rack and getting rid of my Kuat rack.

Roof racks just look so good.

Over the years: tandem kayak and tandem bike (together), single bikes (up to 3), surf ski, ocean canoe, doors, mattresses, wood and drywall, baritone saxophones, tubas, yacht mast, sofas, drainage pipes...

In my last conversation with Mazda support, they said the 2013 rack should work with the 2014, as they have the same mounting points. I proceeded to ask
"Why are they covered?" - no answer - just that there will be a 2014 rack option sometime in early 2014. Really? If the mounting points are the same, wouldn't a 3rd party kit work? I already ordered my Yakima Whispbar (S16 throughbar w/K451 fit kit) and am installing this weekend. I'm going to find some black "plugs" to use as a drill hole size guide so that I can plug the holes in the trim if I pull the rack off - I really don't want to have to buy all new trim pieces (or I could just use electrical tape to cover the hole).

If you get the normal Yakima Q-towers and round bars, it disassembles much quicker (no tools to remove bars) - but the wind noise is much greater, and you can't put a faring on the front bar since it is right over the sunroof.

Back