Roof Rack options for 2014 Mazda3?

Mazda factory rack plus Yakima FatCat 6 - awesome combo, very little 'wind' noise (wind fairing is not needed), gas mileage dropped about 3 mpg with empty rack and about 8 mpg with four snowboards.
20141223_142147.jpg

Sorry for bringing up a somewhat old thread. I am looking at getting this and the kayak carrier accessory from Med Center Mazda (the link above), but I did have a quick question. The kayak carrier accessory (which is apparently a Yakima accessory) says that there needs to be a minimum of 24" spread between the crossbars. Do the fix points on the 2014 Mazda 3 Sedan allow for 24" in between to meet this criteria (would seem very odd if not). Just couldn't tell from the pictures if two feet were covered between the bars.

Also, I think I am going to have my local dealer install the parts when they get here. I am horrible at trying to do anything relative to adding/removing things to my car. I wonder how much that will cost me. haha

OK, results, and they are good.

Went to REI this weekend. I figured the 2013 couldn't be that much different than the 2014. I got the Thule AeroBlade 47", Foot kit 460R, and fit kit 3069. It went on like a champ, and fits perfectly. I initially thought I was going to experience wind noise, but I put in the rubber strip into the T-slot and it went away. Looks great, fits great. All I ahve to do is drill the trim pieces for the threaded rod (or get the replacement pieces with the little doors) and re-install.

I'm lovin' it! Oh, and kudos to REI for letting me take the stuff out and make sure it fit first. REI rocks!

Sorry for bringing up a somewhat old thread. I am looking at getting this and the kayak carrier accessory from Med Center Mazda (the link above), but I did have a quick question. The kayak carrier accessory (which is apparently a Yakima accessory) says that there needs to be a minimum of 24" spread between the crossbars. Do the fix points on the 2014 Mazda 3 Sedan allow for 24" in between to meet this criteria (would seem very odd if not). Just couldn't tell from the pictures if two feet were covered between the bars.

Spread on mine (14 5 door) is about 25" center to center. I measured it after reading your post.

Did the Rola rack from your 2006 Mazda5 work? I have a 2017 Mazda 3 HB, but Rola doesn't list it in their fit guide.
Thanks

This thread has been very helpful! But, I'm still trying to figure out what to buy and would really appreciate some informed guidance or input.

I expect to only be using my roof rack about a half-dozen times a year, mostly for bikes. (For bikes I traditionally have used a rear carrier, but our family has grown so I will need to use both rear and roof carriers to carry bikes.) (I'd been getting away with squeezing 3 bikes on the rear carrier and squeezing a small kid's bike in the trunk, but those days are ending.)

Wow, that's basically what I came in to write! Thanks for saving me some typing! lol

Currently have a Swagman hitch mount carrier but I might look in to a Yakima(?) roof and hitch to keep the locks the same...though that will be more $$$ :(

Just checking in to see if the OEM Mazda rack is still considered the 'best' option and see what folks recommend for bike racks (I'm leaning Yakima but open to suggestions). Ideally I'd like to mount my wife and my bikes on the hitch carrier and the smaller kids bikes on the roof (lower clearance, less weight to lift etc) so I need something pretty 'universal' that will fit smaller bikes (and able to adjust as they get bigger ones).

Also, I'm in Canada, anyone have a recommendation on where to order the OEM rack (assuming it's still best)?

Back