CX5 rolls when stop engine is pressed in drive mode

neelkc12

:
Madza cx5, GT AWD 2014
New Mazda CX-5 owner .. just drove down from dealership. Stopped the car in my driveway( start/stop). It started rolling back. Yikes did not put it to park.(boom03)
It's for my wife . I am wasted . I drive a X3 which goes to Park mode when engine gets killed. I am sure I am missing something. Mazda could not roll out such an unsafe "feature" for stupid people like me. HELP!

You're not missing anything. You need to put it in park when you shut the engine off.

Wait, let me get this straight. With the car not in park you shut off the engine, presumably took your foot of the brake, and the car rolled? And this surprised you enough to go in the house, find a Mazda forum, create an account, verify your email, log in, and create a thread? Regardless of what the X3 does this is pretty standard behavior for a car. Just let the wife drive it.

Most cars won't let you take the key out if the car is not in park.
I have accidentally tested this "safety feature" several times when driving my wife's automatic civic. I did pull up the parking brake so the car wasn't going to roll away.

The CX-5 does not have a key, so I guess it is possible to accidentally leave the car in drive, or even neutral when getting out.
Always set your parking brake!

New Mazda CX-5 owner .. just drove down from dealership. Stopped the car in my driveway( start/stop). It started rolling back. Yikes did not put it to park.(boom03)
It's for my wife . I am wasted . I drive a X3 which goes to Park mode when engine gets killed. I am sure I am missing something. Mazda could not roll out such an unsafe "feature" for stupid people like me. HELP!

Trade it in for either a car with a manual transmission, or for another X3.
I don't think any of us here want to hear about a Mazda that rolled away, and killed someone in a couple of weeks.

BC.

Actually, I thought the car won't even shut off unless it is in park or neutral.
If the car is in neutral, well, that is the point of neutral so no surprises there.
If the car was already off, your foot needs to be on the brake to shift out of park, so you would have to be aware and ready for something to be about to happen when your foot was taken off the brake.

To be fair, he did say he was wasted...hopefully not DUI though!

Last edited:
Thanks Guys. I guess I need to be mindful

Thanks for all replies. Good to know that I just need to be mindful. I traded in our 2005 Honda accord for Cx5. The way accord behaved that if switch of the ignition on drive mode accidentally the car just sat like a rock.

Cheers

I think this is a legitimate question, but I think we need to give ourselves a little bit more background to other cars.

BMW's as of late have an electronic gear shift selector. Kinda like jag's or even prius's (which I have). There is no mechanical linkage between the transmission and the gear selector. Because of this, the transmission's gear (PRND) can be changed by other means, in this case, the power button. In my prius, you can shut the car off with it's power button and the car will automatically engage park when stopped. It's a nifty feature, saves a step and is something one can get used to. Not understanding the reasoning behind this can lead to the public becoming "ignorant and complacent."

However, with the cx5 (and many other cars), the gear shifter has an actual mechanical linkage and requires drivers to manually place the car in park when stopped to put the car into transmission lock, which is what keeps the car from rolling away. Leaving it in drive and shutting the engine off does not allow the transmission lock to be engaged.

It can definitely become a safety issue if one is not aware. But I cannot think of any other cars that have mechanical gear selectors where if you leave it in drive and turn the engine off, the car "sits like a rock". That statement confuses and worries me, in regards to the accord that was traded in.

Actually, I thought the car won't even shut off unless it is in park or neutral.

You have to be able to stop a car at all times without coming to a stop.

Example = prius = HOLD the big power button and it will kill the engine no matter what--- something those owners failed to ask about/weren't trained on before they had pedal to mat interference.

I am wasted. I drive a X3 which goes to Park mode when engine gets killed. I am sure I am missing something. Mazda could not roll out such an unsafe "feature" for stupid people like me. HELP!

1) I hope you weren't actually wasted and driving. Everyone should know better then that now.

2) The X3 has an electronic shifter, as in there is no mechanical linkage to the transmission. Therefore, the car realized you were an idiot and puts it into park for you (as opposed to pressing the "P" on the joystick shifter). The CX-5 is mechanical, so you actually have to move the shifter back into park, the way cars have worked since the automatic transmission was invented.

The vehicle is not unsafe, the driver is.

The CX5 wont let you lock the doors with the transmission in drive either.

I think it is a legit question, good for me to know too. Mazda should be taking note and consider feedback from these forums. I am still trying to stick a key in the ignition, matter of learning but now after two weeks I still try to push down the parking break in the morning....

There is nothing wrong with the car in this respect. Mazda shouldn't do anything to "fix" this issue.

Just gotta make sure the driver gets into the habit of actually putting the car in park when stopped. There are already safety measures on the car's gear selector to prevent you from destroying your transmission if you do something wrong.

In the cars with the electronic gear selectors, there are even more safety measures to protect the transmission. From what I read, if you're driving in the prius and you press the park button, it will simply engage neutral. In cars with mechanically linked gear shifters (cx5) the safety measure is that it will only let you shift into neutral and lock out reverse/park.

Ever wonder why western Europe's superior driver education is directly linked with their higher safety and better road manners?

Use parking brakes as well

Thanks folks.

I also discussed my question with the dealer service dept just to learn more. In addition to what all described and advised, the service tech also advised to engage parking brakes ( just as written in the manual) for safety as well as to "train" the parking brakes.

Back