Oil filter wrench

erhayes

Contributor
:
2022CX5 PP
Has anyone located an oil filter wrench for the CX5 OEM oil filter? I would like to get a cap wrench that fits very well, so one doesn't need to pound it on & off and doesn't slip on stubborn filters. Ed

What size wrench did you end up with? I saw on another forum someone mentioned --->

- 65/67 mm, 14 flute

Does that sound right?

kdt-3860.gif

After using almost every custom tool made for oil filters, if I encounter a filter that slips on the custom tools, I go back to my tried-and- trued-
etu9e2u4.jpg
I haven't found a filter it couldn't remove, no matter how tight it was.

Last edited:
Works better than channellocks or flute sockets...

rubber_banded_wrench_994.jpg

I find that I snap those types on really stuck on filters after a year of use or less. I have 2 or 3 of those types broken in the bottom of my graveyard known as my bottom tool box drawer. Also, it can't get some of those Fords that have filters way tucked up at a weird angle next to the rack n pinion. But, I'm straying a little away from the subject, that should work fine on a CX-5.

Last edited:
I've had to do that several times, too, hehe. Punch it through with a hammer, turn, discard filter.

As long as you don't peel off the skin and leave the filter baseplate there with metal shards around it. That's when it gets real fun.

If you need a tool to remove it, you're putting it on too tightly.

Oil the o-ring, fingertip tight + 1/2-3/4 turn more and done.

As long as you don't peel off the skin and leave the filter baseplate there with metal shards around it. That's when it gets real fun.

If you need a tool to remove it, you're putting it on too tightly.

Oil the o-ring, fingertip tight + 1/2-3/4 turn more and done.

Fortunately, I've never broken a filter off the base, but this method was applied on customer oil changes. I never tighten mine personally that tight. However, in my experience, about 95% of public oil filters were on too tight, it's very common.

When the "new" style throw away filters first came out I saw one vibrate of a Wisconsin V4 air cooled motor on a hay baler and spill the oil out. By the time it started making noise and my dad stopped the tractor and raced to shut down the engine it had seized. It is now hard to not get them too tight but the gasket is now much larger so more friction that the first design so it stays on better and new engines are better balanced and do not shake as much.

Back