Mazda Canada 0W20 - Idemitsu Vs. Petro Canada

dusterdust

:
2014 cx-5 GT
*Sorry if I double posted in another area, didn't know how to move it to here*

Alright I have a question that, in all my searching, still leaves me looking for a definitive answer.

I bought a 2014 CX-5 GT about a month ago. Was debating on a 1000km first oil change, but ended up just doing my first one at 2600km. (I know I could have gone 8000km following SCH 2, but wanted to get the FF gunk out...this was my happy medium)...

Anyway, when I asked the service manager what type of oil they use he said it was "the same stuff they leave the factory with". I asked if it was the High Moly content stuff and he advised that it was...
When I got the oil changed, he showed me a bottle that didn't SAY "with molly" like the ones (US) I've seen in pics on the forums.

All my searching on BITOG and this forum lead to different answers...two in particular:

1. Mazda Canada uses the Idemitsu made oil, which is shipped from Indiana and bottled and packaged by Petro Canada, with a Mazda Label. (GF-5)
2. Mazda Canada uses Petro Canada MADE oil w/o Moly that is packaged with Mazda labels. This supposedly has a low viscosity.

Now I'm wondering if I should have left the FF in, because of the high moly. The only reason I changed it was because I was assured/believed it was the high visc/moly stuff and that it wouldn't have mattered. I'm thinking if it IS the Petro Can MADE (not distributed) stuff, then, having no moly, can't be GREAT for it being so early and low in KM's.

*I thought that the skyactiv engines required this moly stuff......

Obviously, they wouldn't be filling up the veh's with oil that wasn't good for it...I'm mostly concerned with ditching the high moly stuff (if I even did) so early.....

Any help/knowledge would be appreciated.

Edit / Delete Edit Post Quick reply to this message Reply Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message

I doubt if Mazda delivers the car with the high moly stuff. True, Mazda recommends the high moly stuff but moly might not be the best thing to assist with the finer aspect of rings wearing in to the cylinders during the engines early life. I switched to the high moly stuff at 5,000 miles and noticed a gradual rise in MPG.

My understanding is that Mazda markets two oils that they approve for Skyactiv engines, both are very high quality oils made by Idemitsu and the main difference is probably the addition of moly in the more expensive one. I wouldn't hesitate to run either but I do think the moly has a small MPG benefit.

Thanks, Mike.

Are you familiar with what Mazda Canada uses for their "Genuine Mazda Synthetic Oil". Maybe someone on these forums have done an oil analysis on the Canada stuff.

I'm really thinking, now, that I should have left the FF in. But maybe it's still good I did the early(ish) OIC

Last edited:
Thanks, Mike.

Are you familiar with what Mazda Canada uses for their "Genuine Mazda Synthetic Oil". Maybe someone on these forums have done an oil analysis on the Canada stuff.

I can't say with certainty but I would be surprised if it's not the same Idemitsu produced synthetic oil that they market around the globe. And from the analysis I've seen it has all the marks of a top quality synthetic. One of the best. To be positive I would need to see an analysis comparing Mazda oil purchased in Canada with that from the U.S. But, it's difficult to imagine Mazda would market a different (lower spec) oil in Canada.

Hi Experts, So i just got my first Mazda and it is a CX-5 (nana). So my dealership is giving me a life time engine oil change. The service manger said they use Castrol Sync 0w20. Is Castrol any good or bad?

Hi Experts, So i just got my first Mazda and it is a CX-5 (nana). So my dealership is giving me a life time engine oil change. The service manger said they use Castrol Sync 0w20. Is Castrol any good or bad?

Mazda recommends (or, according to the Mazda USA website, has a Strategic Alliance with) Castrol. I think most of the dealerships are providing some sort of free oil change promo. Mine offers for first 60k. I'd guess using the Mazda branded Idemitsu synthetic with moly for all those free changes would be cost prohibitive, so they're settling for a "good enough" oil.
Mazda partners with Castrol, gets bulk oil at a savings, Castrol sells more oil, owners get free changes, dealership has opportunity to sell additional services at oil changes.

http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/displayPage.action?pageParameter=ownersPartsProducts

I'm staying w/ Mazda branded oil with moly for the first few changes at least.

Last edited:
Ok, forgive me for chiming in from the UK but I used to work for Castrol and spent 30+ years on marketing and development of numerous different types of oil. Castrol Edge is a premium oil up there with Mobil 1 etc. full synthetic.
In Europe Castrol has alliances with Ford, BMW, Audi etc. and is generally seen as the No 1 oil brand (though I guess Mobil and Shell would dispute that :). )

Really quite amused by some of the comments about high moly oils and running in etc. Today's engines don't require anything like the running in that used to be necessary given the much tighter manufacturing tolerances that are now common.

And before anybody tells me Europe is so different from N America I spent 11 of those 30 years working for Lubrizol. (Google them if you haven't heard of them, they are to oils what Intel are to computers)

P.s. I have Castrol Edge in all 3 of our family cars, believe me, with my knowledge, it wouldn't be in there if it wasn't any good.....and in my wife's Audi the oil is good for 20,000 miles (32,000KM) or 2 years.

Last edited:
Ok, forgive me for chiming in from the UK but I used to work for Castrol and spent 30+ years on marketing and development of numerous different types of oil. Castrol Edge is a premium oil up there with Mobil 1 etc. full synthetic.
In Europe Castrol has alliances with Ford, BMW, Audi etc. and is generally seen as the No 1 oil brand (though I guess Mobil and Shell would dispute that :). )

Really quite amused by some of the comments about high moly oils and running in etc. Today's engines don't require anything like the running in that used to be necessary given the much tighter manufacturing tolerances that are now common.

And before anybody tells me Europe is so different from N America I spent 11 of those 30 years working for Lubrizol. (Google them if you haven't heard of them, they are to oils what Intel are to computers)

P.s. I have Castrol Edge in all 3 of our family cars, believe me, with my knowledge, it wouldn't be in there if it wasn't any good.....and in my wife's Audi the oil is good for 20,000 miles (32,000KM) or 2 years.

Don't see any posts above that imply Castrol full syn isn't a good oil. I'm not opting for the Idemitsu syn w/ moly for the first couple of changes because I believe there's any break-in benefit. Everything should be pretty much seated by the first change anyway. I do believe there's some benefit to moly and mpg and I'd like to get a baseline.

there's a cost benefit with the Castrol for the dealers, or I believe they'd opt for the Mazda branded Moly oil for their "free" changes.

Don't see any posts above that imply Castrol full syn isn't a good oil. I'm not opting for the Idemitsu syn w/ moly for the first couple of changes because I believe there's any break-in benefit. Everything should be pretty much seated by the first change anyway. I do believe there's some benefit to moly and mpg and I'd like to get a baseline.

there's a cost benefit with the Castrol for the dealers, or I believe they'd opt for the Mazda branded Moly oil for their "free" changes.

I didn't read anything to say that Castrol was good or bad. I was just answering the prior question for somebody who doesn't appear familiar with the brand.

My amusement, for want of a better word, is around the debate about whether to use moly oils etc. we never have any such debate in Europe, you never hear any discussion about moly being useful or otherwise. One thing that constantly amazed me about the differences between Europe and N America was how it appears that common practice on your side of the "pond" seems to be to change your engine oils very much more frequently and I have never understood why. Yes, your extremes of temperature are more varied (handled by viscosity range) but everyday usage of automobiles puts much less stress on your engine oils, straighter roads, more auto shifts, lower speed limits etc.

I put this down some time ago to pure marketing activities on behalf of the N American oil and auto companies. NO car manufacturer over here mandates early oil changes any more or even sells a "breaking in" oil as an initial fill. If anything OEMs boast about the ability of their cars to regularly go to 2 years between fills including from new. Some, such as Mercedes (and Mazda) are notable exceptions and stick to 12 months and or 12-16,000 miles.

Over here if somebody wants to improve their mpg the debate is all to do with low viscosity and shear characteristics of the lubricant, not so much about the addition of surface additives or similar.

I'm not trying to say one approach is better than the other but the engines are not that different between our two continents and yet there is no market over here for the likes of Jiffy Lube or Kwik Lube, drive-in oil change depots are non-existent and I can't see a reason why other than market perceptions. If somebody tried recommending 6 month oil changes here on their range of cars it would be suicidal.

Hey Perusal Thank you for your replied. I just can't believe that your wife Audi engine oil is good for 32,000 KM (boom04). I thought usually we need to replace the engine oil between 5,000KM ~ 8,000KM or every 4 months whichever come first (smash).

Thanks

Just called my dealership to book next oil change. They informed me as of today they are no longer using Castrol Edge Pro (chair) and switching to mobil 1..... (eek)

Any thoughts on Mobil 1???

Last edited:
Just called my dealership to book next oil change. They informed me as of today they are no longer using Castrol Edge Pro (chair) and switching to mobil 1..... (eek)

Any thoughts on Mobil 1???

First class oil! Top quality

I didn't read anything to say that Castrol was good or bad. I was just answering the prior question for somebody who doesn't appear familiar with the brand.

My amusement, for want of a better word, is around the debate about whether to use moly oils etc. we never have any such debate in Europe, you never hear any discussion about moly being useful or otherwise. One thing that constantly amazed me about the differences between Europe and N America was how it appears that common practice on your side of the "pond" seems to be to change your engine oils very much more frequently and I have never understood why. Yes, your extremes of temperature are more varied (handled by viscosity range) but everyday usage of automobiles puts much less stress on your engine oils, straighter roads, more auto shifts, lower speed limits etc.

I put this down some time ago to pure marketing activities on behalf of the N American oil and auto companies. NO car manufacturer over here mandates early oil changes any more or even sells a "breaking in" oil as an initial fill. If anything OEMs boast about the ability of their cars to regularly go to 2 years between fills including from new. Some, such as Mercedes (and Mazda) are notable exceptions and stick to 12 months and or 12-16,000 miles.

Over here if somebody wants to improve their mpg the debate is all to do with low viscosity and shear characteristics of the lubricant, not so much about the addition of surface additives or similar.

I'm not trying to say one approach is better than the other but the engines are not that different between our two continents and yet there is no market over here for the likes of Jiffy Lube or Kwik Lube, drive-in oil change depots are non-existent and I can't see a reason why other than market perceptions. If somebody tried recommending 6 month oil changes here on their range of cars it would be suicidal.

The whole 3 month/3000 mile nonsense is pure marketing on the part of the likes of Jiffy Lubes. They've even been sued about such deception.

Some people still buy it as a form of Pascal's Wager in the idea it doesn't hurt to do it early (which is debatable, considering the lack of care and knowledge many of their employees have)

Personally I think oil life sensors should be mandatory in all cars. It's incredibly wasteful to change oil that often and preys on consumers' lack of knowledge.

Back