0w20 from Mazda Canada: Idemitsu vs Petro Canada?

dusterdust

:
2014 cx-5 GT
Alright I have a question that, in all my searching, still leaves me looking for a definitive answer.

I bought a 2014 CX-5 GT about a month ago. Was debating on a 1000km first oil change, but ended up just doing my first one at 2600km. (I know I could have gone 8000km following SCH 2, but wanted to get the FF gunk out...this was my happy medium)...

Anyway, when I asked the service manager what type of oil they use he said it was "the same stuff they leave the factory with". I asked if it was the High Moly content stuff and he advised that it was...
When I got the oil changed, he showed me a bottle that didn't SAY "with molly" like the ones (US) I've seen in pics on the forums.

All my searching on BITOG and this forum lead to different answers...two in particular:

1. Mazda Canada uses the Idemitsu made oil, which is shipped from Indiana and bottled and packaged by Petro Canada, with a Mazda Label. (GF-5)
2. Mazda Canada uses Petro Canada MADE oil w/o Moly that is packaged with Mazda labels. This supposedly has a low viscosity.

Now I'm wondering if I should have left the FF in, because of the high moly. The only reason I changed it was because I was assured/believed it was the high visc/moly stuff and that it wouldn't have mattered. I'm thinking if it IS the Petro Can MADE (not distributed) stuff, then, having no moly, can't be GREAT for it being so early and low in KM's.

*I thought that the skyactiv engines required this moly stuff......

Obviously, they wouldn't be filling up the veh's with oil that wasn't good for it...I'm mostly concerned with ditching the high moly stuff (if I even did) so early.....

Any help/knowledge would be appreciated.

no idea what your talking about i've got a genuine mazda oil container for 0w20,but says nothing about molly

And if it meets the required spec in the manual, you're not going to notice a difference without used oil analysis anyway since it'll perform just fine. Moly is good, but it's not a magic ingredient (apply this logic to zinc too) or everyone would be using it and getting the same results.

Back