2014 CX-5 Navigation Installation FYI: GPS Connector Additional Step Required

geosho

I just installed the factory OPEM Tom Tom Navigation module in my 2014 CX-5 Touring. The first thing is to pop out the cubby hole bin from the left side of the steering wheel, unplug the connectors from the dummy plug in points, connect the connectors to the Tom Tom module and pop in the Tom Tom module.

Unlike the 2013 Tom Tom install instructions, the 2014 install takes an additional step. You must then remove the glove box door, instructions for which are contained in the second set of instructions included with the unit. Once the glove box door is removed, you need to connect the GPS antenna wire by removing the connector from the Bluetooth unit (i.e., blue connector located at the right side of the Bluetooth unit) and plug it into the blue connector slot located a bit further to the right of the Bluetooth unit. The Bluetooth unit is located underneath when looking from inside the glove box opening. I point this out because the instructions that come with the Tom Tom module are poorly written, especially the second set of instructions regarding the need to connect the GPS antenna connector for 2014 models. If you forget to connect the GPS antenna connector, you will get a perennial "searching for GPS signal" from the Tom Tom when you turn it on. This GPS connector second step does not apply to 2013 models as the 2013 models already are connected.

I got the nav for my 14 CX-5 and was beating my head why I keep getting the GPS antenna to read NG every time I tested the connectivity, the guy sold me the unit had the 13 so the instruction included never mention the glove box. I will try this tonight. Is it possible for you to post the instructions or send it to me via email or PM?

PM me and I will fax you the instructions and additional details as the additional instructions are sorely lacking. Once revealed, it will take all of ten minutes to finish your install.

Thanks geosho for posting this !! Was going to wait until I went in for the free oil change for them to check it out. Super easy, took 5min to do, shot some pics for anyone who needs it
cx5_1387728917967.jpg

cx5_1387729633750.jpg

cx5_1387729866308.jpg

I installed the nav unit into my 2014 CX-5: it says it isn't getting a GPS signal, when i ran the diagnostic the antenna checked out good, but "Commander" is NG"---anyone know what that means and how to resolve it?

Yeah, I found that for myself last night after talking to 3 different "certified Mazda techs" that didn't have a clue what I was talking about. I still have a problem, but from the TomTom site they said it can take up to 45mins for it to find my location. I was only able to spend 20 just sitting there waiting for it, I don't think its going to work at all. --Anyone know of a booster or addon antenna?

Make sure all your connections click when plug in, I assume you did the extra step for the GPS signal since you're on this post. Also open the center speaker cover on the dash to make sure your attenna connection is plug in good, a blue connector I believe. I got my unit used from a person in the US from a 2013 model and when I did the extra step mention here my NAV work pretty much right away. It found my location within couple min with the car in the garage.

Thanks to all for your replies. When I went back outside it was actually working. Now it connects pretty quickly when its out in the open. It dropped on me once while I was driving through a wooded area, but stayed connected through the same area when I was actually using it for directions.

Just had a problem with the GPS locating signal, did all the trouble shooting as described and it works again! I also took out the SD card and seem to "reset it" glad it was a quick fix.

I did a update to my new Nav tom tom NB1, 2104.5 CX5 gt --how can i tell if the latest maps version was installed ...I clicked on gps version after re-installing the SD card. I think the latest version is 10.851?..but that does not show anywhere. I've only had the car 1 month, so I'm new at this, any help would be appreciated. TIA

Found 10.851 on the SD, it s a fix for voice recognition. It's NOT a map update.

Last edited:
Would this be the same for a 2015? Where can I get the OPEM Tom Tom Navigation module?

I have not gotten one yet because of some issues noted on this forum, but the least expensive I have found was at Medical Center Mazda in Birmingham AL. My local dealer could not come near their price.

I scored a smoking deal on a brand new nav unit on e-bay. Even though it is the new 2 piece/part number unit, it still did not include the extra instructions for the blue wire. I vaguely remembered surfing this thread a while back and a quick search brought me back here. My TomTom is working great now! This thread is a life saver for those of us with 2014 Cx-5s
Pretty cool to score factory nav for well under $200 :)

IMO, factory Tom Tom nav sucks so badly I generally leave it off. I only use it is in an extreme emergency (which requires pulling off the road) in which case it can be better than nothing but offers only about 20% of the functionality I expect.

I put it's value at about $100.

But the car itself is so good I overlook this horrendous excuse for a GPS.

To me, the times we need GPS, we plan our trip AHEAD of time, by putting the address in ahead of time, it allows the HD Traffic info to add in as well, allowing us to know if we should change the route...

Want to buy a aftermarket navigation system for my car

Just come across a aftermarket navigation system with youtube (youtu.be/G3TP5P3cTfo), anyone who bought same unit as like it? It would be better if someone can give me advice of it.

Just wondering if anyone has tried to install this in a base model GX FWD with the manual transmission. Dealer said it wouldn't work, but I don't always trust what their computer says... Thanks!

Back