How many miles out of original tires?

PAHSTeacher

:
2012 Mazda 5 Touring
I know it varies by generation.

What year and how many miles did you get out of the tires your 5 was born with.

I'm at 27 k and 2 to 32nds on my 2012 Touring.

Also. What sort of replacement tire do you like and why.

No clue- but my blown rear shocks made short work of the inside edges of my rear Bridgestone G019 Grids after 10k miles. I still had 7/32 left all around, but the inner edges looked like they'd been feathered to hell and back. I bought the 5 used with a new set of tires on it from the dealer, so I have no clue how much the stock Toyos (?) would have looked on there.

As for replacements, I prefer the largest rubber I can stuff into the wheel well generally from the summer "ultra high performance" or all-season "ultra high performance" categories. I read through tons of Tire Rack reviews, look at personal experiences on the forums, and ride in as many cars as I can with different tires to try them out. If you can afford them, Bridgestone's and Michelin's top of the line summer tires are really nice (S-03, S-04, Pilot Sport), but they're not good in the cold and snow which you'll probably need up around the Great Lakes.

I run the Sumitomo HTR-AS P01 (I think, whatever sounds close to that) and it's ok in the dry, but crap in the wet. I've run quite a few Kumho tires in the past with success- they offer a great balance of grip/price/longevity. Look at the ASX or 4x models for all season, SPT or LX (I think) for summer. I'm running Hankook R-S3s on another car- they're way awesome for dry grip.

Don't pay attention to general brand recommendations either. Tires vary quite a bit from model to model within a brand, and even then from size to size because of differences in tread pattern and compound.

'08 Sport Toyos last till 35K miles and were down to 2/32. They needed replacement about 10K miles ago b/c they were unbearably loud but I dealt with the noise since I was commuting with it at the time.

How are the roads in your area (plow regularly, not insanely deep, and not full of pot holes) during winter and how comfortable are you driving in lake effect snow? Do you have money to spend and do you have storage? What you need to decide on is if you one set of tire that is sorta/kinda good at everything or two sets of dedicated tires: snow (as narrow as possible) and summer (D&W dry/wet, as wide as possible). If I was in your location, I would go with two dedicated sets. The upfront cost is more since you need another set of rims but the tire cost evens out since the wear/mileage will be disturbed yet you get the max traction in any given season. The issue is then storage. Golden rule applies -you get what you pay for.

Bridgestone's and Michelin's top of the line summer tires are really nice (S-03, S-04, Pilot Sport), but they're not good in the cold and snow which you'll probably need up around the Great Lakes..
That is an understatement. I had Pilot Sports. FANTASTIC summer rubber but turns rock solid in the winter (tires were new). You cannot stop with even the slightest slush on the ground. I rear ended the car in front of me, who stopped short b/c a cab pull in front of him, and there was way more than enough gap for a slow stop. My car just slowly but steady slide up and tap the guy. It was like watching a slow sinking ship and there ain’t a damn thing you can do. Guy knew he was at partial fault and there wasn't any damage so we all went out way. This was and will be the first and last time I will ever run summer tires in the winter.

Last edited:
That is an understatement. I had Pilot Sports. FANTASTIC summer rubber but turns rock solid in the winter (tires were new). You cannot stop with even the slightest slush on the ground. I rear ended the car in front of me, who stopped short b/c a cab pull in front of him, and there was way more than enough gap for a slow stop. My car just slowly but steady slide up and tap the guy. It was like watching a slow sinking ship and there ain’t a damn thing you can do. Guy knew he was at partial fault and there wasn't any damage so we all went out way. This was and will be the first and last time I will ever run summer tires in the winter.

I LOVE my summer tires, but I won't put a set on my wife's car, whatever she drives, just in case we have that one week of ice or snow that comes every now and then in the Dallas area. Now the rest of my own cars- summer tires are all I get. I've taken a car on a ski trip, up and down icy mountain roads wearing nothing but bald summer Dunlop SP8000s. They were a little scary, but manageable if you know how to pay attention to your contact patch. Still scary though.

My 2012 had 4/32, changed them today at 63120 miles. On wet roads it was a handful. Bridgestone Turanzas.

Back