Your Best Source for Genuine Mazda Parts!
Your Best Source for Genuine Mazda Parts!
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Factory Remote Starter - Install and Program

Registered Member

2015 CX-5 GT

Just wanted to ask how other's impression of the range is ? I installed this factory starter about a year ago following Treyp's right up.

The range is very poor. I would say 150 ft at the very most un-obstructed.

Has anyone else been less than satisfied with the range? I believe I left the antenna straight. Not bent at any angle.

I wish this system could be triggered by an aftermarket system. It would be awesome to be able to trigger it with a viper 1-mile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered Member

2016 CX-5 Touring

Quote Originally Posted by wayne73 View Post
    Just wanted to ask how other's impression of the range is ? I installed this factory starter about a year ago following Treyp's right up.

The range is very poor. I would say 150 ft at the very most un-obstructed.

Has anyone else been less than satisfied with the range? I believe I left the antenna straight. Not bent at any angle.

I wish this system could be triggered by an aftermarket system. It would be awesome to be able to trigger it with a viper 1-mile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My wife hasn't been able to grab her remote start from her classroom, but if she's in line of sight it will start. She had an aftermarket starter (some DEI, not a Viper) on her previous car that didn't have this issue. The Viper on my truck has fantastic range. Regardless, it's plenty sufficient for what we use it for.

What grinds my gears the most about the whole setup is the remote itself. For the size of it, I feel like it should interface with the stock key. Having two fobs on your key ring is too much. I also think it's ridiculous that you only get a single fob and the replacement is $366. I don't even have a key on my key ring because of the size, so I don't need a starter, but still...

I paid $895 at the dealer as part of the purchase. Part of me wishes I did it myself, but even though I could have easily done it (I had the car apart to put the Homelink mirror in it) tearing into a brand new car wasn't something I felt like doing Day 1.

Registered Member

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD

I have tested the range on mine up to approximately 200 feet un-obstructed line of site. I think it would probably work at a longer distance, but I haven't verified it. But, un-obstructed line of site is an important disclaimer. It would not start at approximately 30 feet away when it was completely blocked by my Chevy Suburban.
    Last edited by Z06Trev; 03-10-2016 at 09:45 PM.

Registered Member

Mazda, CX5 GT, 2014, wife has a 2014 Mazda3 GT

Quote Originally Posted by Z06Trev View Post
    I have tested the range on mine up to approximately 200 feet un-obstructed line of site. I think it would probably work at a longer distance, but I haven't verified it. But, un-obstructed line of site is an important disclaimer. It would not start at approximately 30 feet away when it was completely blocked by my Chevy Suburban.
    I haven't tested the range on mine (it came with the CX5). In the morning if I use it when the car is in the garage attached to the house (yes, I open the garage door), it works well. Some evenings if I go to the health club and use it, it will work, sometimes I get the Er message and it didn't work, sometimes I get the Er message and it worked. When I asked the dealer, he said that's normal. The manual says the same thing. I don't know why it would give the Er message, and then start it.

Registered Member
    Donated: $5

2016 CX-5 AWD GT+iActive Soul Red

I am having some problems with the final step - i.e. progrramming. Before that, in terms of installation I found it relatively easy - the hood part and the cabin part.
    1 tip:
    I had trouble getting the ground nut off. The tip is: use a 2nd. nut. The bolt protrudes from back so I attached the ground connector and a 2nd. nut. Tightened it good. No need to take off the bolt!

Registration - even after following all the steps it did not work. Now, every time I am trying the car's dashboard is reporting "Ignition is On" message. This is appearing after the Start button being pressed with the key-fob twice. The car/security light keeps blinking also.
    Is there a way to reset everything and start again?

When I use the RS key-fob to start the car, A2 error message is displayed - which as per user manual means registration failure. But, when trying to register - I am having the problem above.

Registered Member

The steps - in buletted form

Prerequisites:
    1 key fob in car. All doors locked. Hood – closed. Gear in Park. E-brake: OFF.
    Steps:
    1. Press the registration button once.
    2. Press and HOLD registration button until LCD display is shown and it beeps.
    3. Immediately, the ECU will reply with 2 long beeps and RS fob with chirp.
    4. NO? Repeat, starting step #1.
    5. Within 4 seconds of complete step #3, touch using the key fob the car’s start button and press twice.
    6. The red security indicator (a car behind a lock) on the car's dash panel should come on solid for a few seconds and then shut off.
    7. NO? Shut the car off and repeat from #1.
    8. After the security indicator shuts off, move the factory fob away from the car's round start button.
    9. Within 4 seconds of completing step #5, press the car's round start button once to shut the car power off.
    10. The red security indicator should flash once (be careful - it flashes very briefly)
    11. No? Repeat from Step #1.
    12. If the ECU makes 2 long beeps and a short one, repeat from step #1.
    13. Within 4 seconds of completing step #9, start and keep pressing the Stop button on the RS Fob until there are TWO set of beeps.
    14. The car ignition status should be automatically set to ON between these 2 sets of beeps. Do NOT release the STOP button after the 1st. set of beep or if you notice ignition status = ON in dashboard.
    15. No? Repeat starting Step #1.
    16. Test the remote starter according to the owner’s manual instructions.
    17. Repeat, starting Step #1, but using the 2nd. Fob. (Make sure to keep the registered key-fob away from car)
    Last edited by bmninada; 03-25-2016 at 06:03 PM.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by bmninada View Post
    I am having some problems with the final step - i.e. progrramming. Before that, in terms of installation I found it relatively easy - the hood part and the cabin part.
    1 tip:
    I had trouble getting the ground nut off. The tip is: use a 2nd. nut. The bolt protrudes from back so I attached the ground connector and a 2nd. nut. Tightened it good. No need to take off the bolt!

Registration - even after following all the steps it did not work. Now, every time I am trying the car's dashboard is reporting "Ignition is On" message. This is appearing after the Start button being pressed with the key-fob twice. The car/security light keeps blinking also.
    Is there a way to reset everything and start again?

When I use the RS key-fob to start the car, A2 error message is displayed - which as per user manual means registration failure. But, when trying to register - I am having the problem above.
    Any one?

Registered Member

2016.5 Mazda CX-5 Touring

Quote Originally Posted by bmninada View Post
    Any one?
    Try to reprogram from the beginning as the instructions state above...

If that does not work, then I would follow any Owners manual instructions for:
    Disconnecting vehicle battery and removing the RS fob battery, for resetting electronics and clearing out any stored codes. Then hook up vehicle battery, reinsert RS fob batteries and reprogram fob/vehicle.

Registered Member

2016.5 Mazda CX-5 Touring

I too wish the Mazda RS would have only been a replacement for the factory key fobs as well... Makes no sense to have to carry around 2 fobs that perform totally different functions when most other vehicles with RS functionality have a single fob for RS+whatever.

Our prior 2011 Hyundai Tucson that we traded for the CX5 - we also had a factory RS installed - it came with 2 fobs that replaced the original non-RS fobs. So all functions that existed on the original fobs was comingled into the RS fob...

The Mazda RS fob is nice being digital and all - but seriously, there's available tech and super small chips/boards that they could have created a single use fob...

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra jet View Post
    Try to reprogram from the beginning as the instructions state above...

If that does not work, then I would follow any Owners manual instructions for:
    Disconnecting vehicle battery and removing the RS fob battery, for resetting electronics and clearing out any stored codes. Then hook up vehicle battery, reinsert RS fob batteries and reprogram fob/vehicle.

Finally, finally, finally - got the damn thing programmed. I program for a living and write code already in use in some rather interesting applications. However, this was the most hellish experience. Speed has to be tremendous and BOTH key fobs in 1 go, must be done.

Now, although have installed the hood switch, when I am attempting to start, gives me the dreaded "H" symbol. I double checked wiring, terminal type - have "A", everything, nada, zilch!

Registered Member

2013 cx5

i have the same problem 2013 cx5 cant find the plug that gose to ssu!! which meant that i need to do the wiring by myself....there is no problem for me to find the "A" on ssu but i cant find "O" . anyone know which wire(color) is the wire "O" in ssu(start stop unit)

Registered Member

2013 cx5

http://am.mazdaserviceinfo.com/mazda...ionPrint=print
    i found a diagram !the second pic shows the A on the left control unit is room 15A fuse so can it means the O should be the one I want
    ?

Registered Member

CX5

I am facing similar problem. Did you find a solution.

My car is a European model with no 2 pin connector.

I found another connector close by but with different colors than indicated.
    Last edited by AdelZee; 06-05-2016 at 07:57 AM. Reason: not precise enugh

Registered Member

2016 CX-5

Quote Originally Posted by TreyP View Post
    And now, for the programming portion of the install...

Looking back now, the factory instructions don't seem that bad, but at the time I couldn't seem to follow them to save my life, so I will try to smooth things out here. Be sure to have both factory fobs, the RS fob, and the factory instructions within easy reach. The factory instructions include helpful columns of what will happen along the way if the step was successful or failed.

Parts of this instruction will seem overly detailed, but I purposely did that to avoid any confusion over which button to push and also so it is clear what you need to do in case of a failure along the way.

Study the buttons on your new RS fob to become familiar with the buttons.
    - The Registration button has 3 dots on it.
    - The Stop button is the only other one we'll need for this procedure

Here's my take on it:

** Despite what someone mentioned on this forum somewhere, You DO want the ignition status to be OFF before you begin, just as it says on the instructions.

1) Press the registration button once, then press it again while the LCD display is shown, and hold it until it beeps.
    The ECU will now reply with 2 long beeps. If not, start over. (Also, the RS fob will chirp again, the factory instructions don't mention this, and it left me a bit disoriented each time since I wasn't expecting it)

2) Hold the first factory fob up to the car's round start button and press the car's round start button twice to the ON position. Leave your foot off the brake so that the car does not start. The red security indicator (a car behind a lock) on the car's dash panel should come on solid for a few seconds and then shut off. If it blinks, you need to shut the car off and start over from step one of the programming process.

3) After the security indicator shuts off, move the factory fob away from the car's round start button and press the car's round start button once to shut the car power off. The red security indicator should flash. If the ECU makes 2 long beeps and a short one, you need to start over from step one of the programming process..

4) (This is where I got mixed up, so...) Without touching the RS fob, hold your second factory fob up to the start button and press the car's round start button twice to the ON position. Leave your foot off the brake so that the car does not start. The red security indicator should come on solid for a few seconds and then shut off. If it blinks, you need to shut the car off and start over from step one of the programming process, including the part with the first factory fob.

5) After the security indicator shuts off, move the factory fob away from the the car's round start button and press the car's round start button once to shut the car power off. The red security indicator should flash. If the ECU makes 2 long beeps and a short one, you need to start over from step one of the programming process., including the part with the first factory fob..

6) Press the Stop button on the RS Fob until it beeps. The car ignition status should be automatically set to ON at this point. If not, you need to start over from step one of the programming process., including the part with the first factory fob.

7) Test the remote starter according to the owners manual instructions.

That is all. Hopefully this helps you out with the install and programming of the factory remote starter.

-Trey
    is it possible to buy an used already programmed remote starter fob off e-bay and re-program to work with my car ?

Registered Member

2013 CX-9 AWD, 2016.5 CX-5 AWD

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat1446 View Post
    is it possible to buy an used already programmed remote starter fob off e-bay and re-program to work with my car ?
    I found this online, hope it helps

see attached

remote starter registration procedure.pdf

remote starter user guide.pdf
    Last edited by batmancx; 09-10-2016 at 12:13 AM.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast