Your Best Source for Genuine Mazda Parts!
Your Best Source for Genuine Mazda Parts!
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Factory Remote Starter - Install and Program

Registered Member
    Donated: $5

2016 CX-5 AWD GT+iActive Soul Red

Damn, these remote start fobs are costly. I need 2, and the additional one is really costly!

Registered Member

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD

Quote Originally Posted by bmninada View Post
    Damn, these remote start fobs are costly. I need 2, and the additional one is really costly!
    Agreed. The whole remote start kit is really expensive. When I first talked to my dealer about having one installed, he told me they rarely do it because the parts cost alone is close to $1K with the additional Fob. I thought he was crazy, but when I checked into it I found out he was correct.

List prices:
    Remote Start Kit: $540.95
    Install Kit: $76.95
    Hood Switch: $17.95
    Extra Fob: $336.66
    Total: $972.51

My dealer agreed to give me a nice discount on the parts and I installed it myself. I didn't purchase the extra Fob.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM. View Post
    Does the remote start require re-programming after the car battery is disconnected/reconnected?
    Bump: excellent question, considering how difficult it is, to program.

Registered Member

CX-5 GS

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM. View Post
    Does the remote start require re-programming after the car battery is disconnected/reconnected?
    no i disconnect the battery this summer and the remote work fine after

Registered Member

1 question: Is the hood switch installation required, considering I have 2016 CX-5, AWD - Grand Touring

Registered Member

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD

1 question: Is the hood switch installation required, considering I have 2016 CX-5, AWD - Grand Touring
    Yes, I have the exact same car and the hood switch is required. The only time the hood switch is not required is if your car has a factory alarm system, but I don't think that is even an option anymore on US spec CX-5's.

The hood switch is a safety feature so that the engine cannot be remote started when the hood is open.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Z06Trev View Post
    Yes, I have the exact same car and the hood switch is required. The only time the hood switch is not required is if your car has a factory alarm system, but I don't think that is even an option anymore on US spec CX-5's.

The hood switch is a safety feature so that the engine cannot be remote started when the hood is open.
    You mean to say if someone breaks into my car, the car wont trigger any honking, loud beeps, flashing headlights - nothing? Should have read the manual more. Even my 2007 car, has an alarm!!

Also, can I still wire this thing without the wood switch?

Registered Member

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD

You mean to say if someone breaks into my car, the car wont trigger any honking, loud beeps, flashing headlights - nothing? Should have read the manual more. Even my 2007 car, has an alarm!!

Also, can I still wire this thing without the wood switch?
    I don't know what happens if someone breaks into the car, maybe someone else can answer.

I do know that there is no hood switch installed from the factory. If you don't install the hood switch, the remote start will not work because it thinks the hood is open. You could probably jumper the wires at the fuse panel to fake out the remote starter, but why risk it? At $17.95, the hood switch is a drop in the bucket compared to the cost of the other parts.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Z06Trev View Post
    I don't know what happens if someone breaks into the car, maybe someone else can answer.

I do know that there is no hood switch installed from the factory. If you don't install the hood switch, the remote start will not work because it thinks the hood is open. You could probably jumper the wires at the fuse panel to fake out the remote starter, but why risk it? At $17.95, the hood switch is a drop in the bucket compared to the cost of the other parts.
    Agreed. Not worth it. I have this great fear of the hood! Anyways, someone did ask where's the temp sensor and later there was a photo of the conn. Great. Now let's assume the main unit is installed and the wires routed and tied up properly above the glove compartment. This means the actual sensor would be facing away, i.e. towards the car front or passenger side or driver side? Also it does require to be tied in also and what I understood considering its connection it's basically along with the wires tied together. That's my assumption.

Finally someone commented the antenna wires ought to be compacted when installing. What does that mean?

Registered Member

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD

Agreed. Not worth it. I have this great fear of the hood! Anyways, someone did ask where's the temp sensor and later there was a photo of the conn. Great. Now let's assume the main unit is installed and the wires routed and tied up properly above the glove compartment. This means the actual sensor would be facing away, i.e. towards the car front or passenger side or driver side? Also it does require to be tied in also and what I understood considering its connection it's basically along with the wires tied together. That's my assumption.

Finally someone commented the antenna wires ought to be compacted when installing. What does that mean?
    I spent a lot of time trying to determine the best way to route the wires behind the glove compartment. In the end I decided that it really doesn't matter. Just make sure the wires are secure with tie wraps so that they can't rattle and don't interfere with the glove compartment. The location of the temperature sensor doesn't really matter either, it is just tie wrapped to the rest of the wires. The temperature will be the same no matter where it is measured behind the glove compartment on a cold day. Remember that the temperature sensor is only checked initially when the vehicle is started to determine whether or not to turn on the rear defroster.

The antenna can be folded so that it is 90 degrees to the remote start module. This may be for other applications where there is limited space. The instructions did not mention folding the antenna, so I left it straight.
    Last edited by Z06Trev; 12-31-2015 at 08:34 PM.

Registered Member

CX5

Hello

I am doing this install now.
    But i cannot find the Connector to plug the ECU harness to the car.
    In the instructions it says "optional"
    I have a 16 CX5. Is the problem that these European models dont have this feature?

Best Regards
    Last edited by smeloe; 02-16-2016 at 08:44 AM.

Registered Member

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD

Quote Originally Posted by smeloe View Post
    Hello

I am doing this install now.
    But i cannot find the Connector to plug the ECU harness to the car.
    In the instructions it says "optional"
    I have a 16 CX5 sold in Norway. Is the problem that these European models dont have this feature?

Best Regards

Steinar
    I don't know if European models have this connector. In my US model, the connector was located in a vertical wire harness located on the left side of the glove compartment opening.

Registered Member

CX5

Ok. Thanks for the response.
    I can not find this Connector.
    Someone else have some information on this or what else to do?
    Last edited by smeloe; 02-16-2016 at 08:26 AM.

Registered Member

cx 5

Any luck Steiner? Got a eu version from sweden, would love this solution in the cold half of the year.
    And do anyone know if the 2012 version differs from the 2013 regarding the possibility to install the remote start kit ?

Best regards

Registered Member

CX5

No. It seems that this is not a option for Europeean models.
    But it must be possible to connect it in an other way.

Someone have a suggestion??
    Last edited by smeloe; 02-11-2016 at 11:47 AM.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast