Guide CX-5 Factory Remote Starter - Install and Program

I believe that is the one I ordered. Looks like it'll be a few weeks to get in.
I can't find any info on it.

Has anyone installed the rs for the 2016?
I have it in my 2016 GT. It works well. Can't wait to try out the rear window defroster option on a colder day. The dealer called corporate to find out about the mazdamobilestart, but they jumped the gun putting it in the brochure. They don't have it working but they assured me that it will work with my factory starter.

Last edited:
I'm surprised you can't just re program the regular remote to work with the remote start. My wife's audi was able to be reprogrammed to work with an aftermarket remote start. Three clicks on any bottom and the car starts. Just doesn't allow the car to be unlocked with the fob you have to use the key. Point for that is I know the technology is out there. Why couldn't Mazda do that? Hopefully by the time I'm ready to buy the Mobil thing will be working.

I wanted to share my experience with the remote start installation I just finished. As many have mentioned, the registration process was the most frustrating part. The install itself took me about 2 hours including the hood switch (I really took my time so I wouldn't screw anything up). I think I tried the registration unsuccessfully about 25 times or so yesterday and walked away to start fresh with a non-frustrated mind on another day. Got it to work today on my 5th try!

Good tips from gova back on page 2 of the thread - use the head of the fob itself to press the start/stop button (two presses each time to get it to 'ON', which isn't clear in the instructions) and work quickly. It may take some practice to get used to the button sequence before you can finally execute it.

There was one thing that wasn't clear to me in either the factory instructions or in TreyP's write-up. For the very last step where you press and hold the STOP button until it beeps, you need to continue to hold it after its first set of beeps until the fob makes a second set of beeps. The car will switch to 'ON' on its own between those two sets of beeps from the fob. Every time before that, I was releasing the STOP button after the first set of beeps from the fob and that was preventing me from completing the registration.

Huge thanks to TreyP for the excellent write-up and pictures. It would have been a much more frustrating install if not for him!

Good tips from gova back on page 2 of the thread - use the head of the fob itself to press the start/stop button (two presses each time to get it to 'ON', which isn't clear in the instructions) and work quickly. It may take some practice to get used to the button sequence before you can finally execute it....

I am glad it helped. Thanks for mentioning.

I have the Factory remote starter installed in my 2016 CX-5. I bought it from a classified site for 150 CDN. Installed and programmed it all in 30 mins. It was super easy. The RS came out of a 2013 CX-5 but worked flawlessly in my 2016.

Does the remote start require re-programming after the car battery is disconnected/reconnected?

I just had it installed on a new 2016 CX-5 pre purchase at the dealer. Remote (same one shown on OP's post) full price with install was $399. Can anyone here tell me how far it will reach? My wife only just picked it up yesterday and I haven't gotten to test her out yet(car not wife). ALSO wondering if this would work with the new MMS . The new app .

Last edited:
The only thing I could find for the remote start to not shut off when opening the door is using a Fortin bypass Evo-All and you have to sacrifice 1 fob. http://youtu.be/Nb6k81N_rPU You remove the battery and wrap 8-12 loops of wire and hide it in the car. Here is the install instructions http://fortin.ca/en/download/5281/

So you sacrifice 1 fob, but can install an aftermarket remote start system like the Drone Mobile or Compustar, and don't have to carry two fobs, correct? If my car is remote started with an EVO-ALL, will the door unlock buttons be operational?

Yes, it doesn't bother me at all. You just get in and start the car the same as you would any other day, except now it is already warmed up for you when you get there so you can just drive away with no worries of the engine not being ready. And every after market starter you get is going to cause you to have 2 fobs, so no difference there.

This OEM remote starter also lets you turn on the rear defroster, has a 'car finder' feature for when you forget where you parked, and it has a timer function for letting you know when the car is warmed up. I know I'll never use that last function, but I can see the value in it. There is also something to be said for having an OEM accessory as opposed to a random aftermarket one.

All that being said, I may play with it someday to see if I can find a way to stop it from shutting off when the door is opened, since that seems to bother a lot of people.
You don't have to worry about that at all. Our cars have the AWS system. You can literally start it and go as is stated in the owner's manual.

I wanted to thank the OP, TreyP, for this excellent "How To". I used it to install the remote starter on my 2016 CX-5 GT. There is a lot of good information in the original post along with the additional comments that help clarify the factory instructions.

As noted, the programming can be a little bit tricky. I recommend reading the instructions a couple of times to make sure you fully understand every step before you begin. You need follow every step exactly as stated and move quickly. It took me 3 tries. The first time I took too long. The second time I was quick enough, but did not complete the final step correctly.

Regarding the older part number C930-V7-620 vs. the newer part number C930-V7-620A, it seems that either will work. I ordered parts from my local Mazda dealer and received the older part number C930-V7-620. I was concerned because I was installing the older part in a brand new 2016, but it works fine.

Damn, these remote start fobs are costly. I need 2, and the additional one is really costly!

Damn, these remote start fobs are costly. I need 2, and the additional one is really costly!

Agreed. The whole remote start kit is really expensive. When I first talked to my dealer about having one installed, he told me they rarely do it because the parts cost alone is close to $1K with the additional Fob. I thought he was crazy, but when I checked into it I found out he was correct.

List prices:
Remote Start Kit: $540.95
Install Kit: $76.95
Hood Switch: $17.95
Extra Fob: $336.66
Total: $972.51

My dealer agreed to give me a nice discount on the parts and I installed it myself. I didn't purchase the extra Fob.

1 question: Is the hood switch installation required, considering I have 2016 CX-5, AWD - Grand Touring

Back