Guide CX-5 Factory Remote Starter - Install and Program

Hi,

Thanks for you help!

I installed as directed and programming was correct.

However, I get an error on the factory remote starter for "H" - saying the hood is opened, but it's definitely closed.

Anyone have this problem? Is it related to bad wiring on my part? Any suggestion to fix this would be great.

It sounds like the white or black wire from the hood switch is not connected properly. Refer closely to the wiring part of this post, and also cross reference with the factory instructions to be sure you are using the right connection for your fuse panel (Type 'A' or Type 'B')

hm.. I did not perform this step at all since I thought my CX-5 came with an alarm system.

But Nope - I need the hood switch afterall.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Thank you for the extensive "how to." I'll be (hopefully) taking advantage of it this weekend. I ordered the three required parts (rs module, install kit/harness, hood switch) from "mazdagear.com" this morning, and it should show up in 2 days. I've never ordered from them before, but they appear to be legit.

Take care
Gary

Thank you for the extensive "how to." I'll be (hopefully) taking advantage of it this weekend. I ordered the three required parts (rs module, install kit/harness, hood switch) from "mazdagear.com" this morning, and it should show up in 2 days. I've never ordered from them before, but they appear to be legit.

Take care
Gary
I also ordered mine from mazdagear.com, they are definitely legit. Good prices and fast shipping.

Good luck on the project, and feel free to ask any questions.

I was going to do this, but just a small amount of testing showed me that even if the car didn't stop when the door was opened, it would still stop when the brake was applied. Following this logic, I figured even if I disabled both of those, the car would still stop after 15 minutes because the car would still think it was in 'remote' mode.
Does your car have push button start? If so, what happens if you get in the car (that hasn't been started), close the door, use the remote start to start the car, and then push the start button (on dashboard) without the brake?

It's a long shot... but if that works, it might be possible to bypass the door open issue.

thanks
Gary

Does your car have push button start? If so, what happens if you get in the car (that hasn't been started), close the door, use the remote start to start the car, and then push the start button (on dashboard) without the brake?

It's a long shot... but if that works, it might be possible to bypass the door open issue.

thanks
Gary
Yes, I have push button start, but it is not possible to use the remote start from inside of the car. I could try it with the window down perhaps, so I could reach in and push the button after the car is remotely started, but A) It is winter and the windows are pretty iced up right now, and B) Normally when the car is running and the button is pushed, regardless if the brake is depressed or not, the car shuts off (assuming the car is in Park at the time)

Installed successfully. I still need to experiment with what I was suggesting above. I had to finish playing with it in a hurry, as it started snowing and my wife DEMANDED her spot in the garage back. ;)

Some thoughts on the "howto" posted here... Thank you for the pics and instructions. They proved EXTREMELY useful.

Doing the work under the hood actually took me longer than under the dash. Probably because I'm anal about securing all the wiring properly. (The eight black zip ties provided weren't enough to make me happy... Fortunately, I have bins full of them.) Then figuring out the correct orientation of the white hood switch wire caused me some grief. It, apparently, has to be inserted in a specific way. (It didn't seem to want to go in the connector properly until I had it in the same orientation as your pictures.)

The instructions on the placement for the ECU were perfect. However, I'd suggest editing your instruction to remind people to collapse the ECU antenna (so it's pointed vertical instead of staying horizontal.) I almost missed that when I decided your instructions were better than the paper documentation.

Getting the ECU ground wire properly grounded was much easier than I expected. Thanks to a ratcheting wrench, I didn't have to contort myself on the floor board, and was able to just work by feel. (A mirror helps to find the bolt to begin with.) Of course I doubt I'd have been able to find the proper bolt without your instructions.

Plugging the main harness into the ECU was a royal pain in the butt, however. For some reason, I couldn't get it lined up properly. I'm still amused that I had no problems with the grounding bolt I couldn't even see, but it took me nearly 10 minutes to plug a stupid connector into the ECU.

Finally, I was able to get it programmed in only two tries. (The first try probably failed because I was taking too long between steps while reading the instructions...)

Thank you again
Gary

Last edited:
^^ Awesome, glad it worked out for you! It feels great when it works for the first time.

Following up... starting the car with the remote start, and then pressing the start button (without the brake or opening a door) will turn the car off.

Even if it didn't, it might be a pain to try and spoof the remote start. It's attached to the rest of the car with a mere 2 wires (and ground), and the RS has signals and/or controls for door open, brake, hood open, smart key inside the vehicle, starting the car, defroster, etc, etc.

Based on that amount of data, either all the remote start functionality is in the car's ECU (and the remote start module is just a radio transceiver), or the remote start module is more complex and the 2 wires are some kind of CAN bus.

Take care
Gary

Quick question: I start the car with the remote start, and then open the driver's side door... The engine stops (as expected), but the dashboard also beeps a few times rapidly after the engine cut-off. Are those beeps normal?

Thanks
gary

Can the remote start remote be used to lock or unlock the doors as well? We had the dealer install the unit and they never said anything about it, nor did I ask. I was expecting that it would. After reading the user manual it does not say how to do that or if it can be done.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123809022-Remote-Starter-Door-Bypass

Has anyone tried the door ajar bypass listed for other mazdas with all the information in that thread on a CX-5? Is this even possible on a CX-5 to bypass the door ajar sensor just like in the link I posted above by cutting the black and yellow wire behind the glove box? anyone try this??

This would be awesome if the car didn't have to shut off if a door opened... such a stupid feature

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?fo...w2.justanswer.com/uploads/su..._mazda5_12.pdf

refer to step 12 above to see what I'm talking about.

Last edited:
I'm in the process of taking my remote starter out because I'm selling the car. Obviously used one winter only. If anyone is interested in getting one just send me a PM. I'll be putting it on ebay otherwise.

I'm in the process of taking my remote starter out because I'm selling the car. Obviously used one winter only. If anyone is interested in getting one just send me a PM. I'll be putting it on ebay otherwise.

If you can while you are taking it out can you verify if there is in fact a black and yellow cable in the harness behind the glove box? Thanks!

TreyP, great write up. This was the quickest remote start I have ever done :) helps that it's an OEM. I will not use those "scotch locks" on that wire under the hood. They can be problematic, just soldered it instead to the black wire in the BCM harness.

Only troubles Was that it took me about 10 tries to program. But I found, you have to go very quick during the programming procedure.

Thanks for documenting your install. Way easier to follow than the mazda instructions!

Picked up the system from the local dealership here in Burnsville, mn that would price match "mazda gear.com" or Morries Mazda in Minnetonka, mn

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back