Guide CX-5 Factory Remote Starter - Install and Program

i have the same problem 2013 cx5 cant find the plug that gose to ssu!! which meant that i need to do the wiring by myself....there is no problem for me to find the "A" on ssu but i cant find "O" . anyone know which wire(color) is the wire "O" in ssu(start stop unit)

I am facing similar problem. Did you find a solution.

My car is a European model with no 2 pin connector.

I found another connector close by but with different colors than indicated.

Last edited:
And now, for the programming portion of the install...

Looking back now, the factory instructions don't seem that bad, but at the time I couldn't seem to follow them to save my life, so I will try to smooth things out here. Be sure to have both factory fobs, the RS fob, and the factory instructions within easy reach. The factory instructions include helpful columns of what will happen along the way if the step was successful or failed.

Parts of this instruction will seem overly detailed, but I purposely did that to avoid any confusion over which button to push and also so it is clear what you need to do in case of a failure along the way.

Study the buttons on your new RS fob to become familiar with the buttons.
- The Registration button has 3 dots on it.
- The Stop button is the only other one we'll need for this procedure

Here's my take on it:

** Despite what someone mentioned on this forum somewhere, You DO want the ignition status to be OFF before you begin, just as it says on the instructions.

1) Press the registration button once, then press it again while the LCD display is shown, and hold it until it beeps.
The ECU will now reply with 2 long beeps. If not, start over. (Also, the RS fob will chirp again, the factory instructions don't mention this, and it left me a bit disoriented each time since I wasn't expecting it)

2) Hold the first factory fob up to the car's round start button and press the car's round start button twice to the ON position. Leave your foot off the brake so that the car does not start. The red security indicator (a car behind a lock) on the car's dash panel should come on solid for a few seconds and then shut off. If it blinks, you need to shut the car off and start over from step one of the programming process.

3) After the security indicator shuts off, move the factory fob away from the car's round start button and press the car's round start button once to shut the car power off. The red security indicator should flash. If the ECU makes 2 long beeps and a short one, you need to start over from step one of the programming process..

4) (This is where I got mixed up, so...) Without touching the RS fob, hold your second factory fob up to the start button and press the car's round start button twice to the ON position. Leave your foot off the brake so that the car does not start. The red security indicator should come on solid for a few seconds and then shut off. If it blinks, you need to shut the car off and start over from step one of the programming process, including the part with the first factory fob.

5) After the security indicator shuts off, move the factory fob away from the the car's round start button and press the car's round start button once to shut the car power off. The red security indicator should flash. If the ECU makes 2 long beeps and a short one, you need to start over from step one of the programming process., including the part with the first factory fob..

6) Press the Stop button on the RS Fob until it beeps. The car ignition status should be automatically set to ON at this point. If not, you need to start over from step one of the programming process., including the part with the first factory fob.

7) Test the remote starter according to the owners manual instructions.

That is all. Hopefully this helps you out with the install and programming of the factory remote starter.

-Trey

is it possible to buy an used already programmed remote starter fob off e-bay and re-program to work with my car ?

Just finished the install on my wife's CX-5. Went smooth. Completed the registration on the first attempt. Thanks TreyP for the write up.

Just finished this today utilizing the 1st original procedure, you definitely have to be fast at the process otherwise it will timeout.
Overall took me 45min but I work on cars for a living lol.

Hi everybody!

I'm here with a few questions about the genuine remote starter.
I'm linving in Switzerland and I have purchased all the pieces for the genuine remote start (Keyfob, harnes and switch hood harness)
But when I have opened the glove box, I don't have the optional plug to connect the controller harness :/

Do you know if it's possible to connect directly on the Start Stop Unit?
And what is the color of the cable on this plug?

If anyone can find where the cable connect on the start stop unit under the steering wheel it will be faboulous :)

PS: Sorry for my english... Hope you can undestand... :/

Yes, it doesn't bother me at all. You just get in and start the car the same as you would any other day, except now it is already warmed up for you when you get there so you can just drive away with no worries of the engine not being ready.

And every after market starter you get is going to cause you to have 2 fobs, so no difference there.

This OEM remote starter also lets you turn on the rear defroster, has a 'car finder' feature for when you forget where you parked, and it has a timer function for letting you know when the car is warmed up. I know I'll never use that last function, but I can see the value in it. There is also something to be said for having an OEM accessory as opposed to a random aftermarket one.

All that being said, I may play with it someday to see if I can find a way to stop it from shutting off when the door is opened, since that seems to bother a lot of people.

Just to confirm, you have to carry 2 fobs?

Also, do I have to have both factory fobs in order for programming to work?

I recently bought a CX-5 with only 1 fob, was hoping to use the RS fob as a second.

So..it's almost 2017..anyone figure out a good way to bypass the car from shutting off when opening the door? More importantly..why isn't Mazda changing this..it sucks. I know someone who just bought a Jeep Cherokee 2016. They can remote start, open the door , and to go anywhere they just have to press a button, all without engine shutting off.

Anyone from MA area want to meet up and help with the remote start install? Pizza and beer on me!

Just read this whole thread. I do not understand why people are so annoyed by having to start the car again. What is the big freaking deal? If it didn't do this, I could steal your car! It doesn't bother me and I have a child to load in the car. So the car shuts off and all the heat escapes while putting my kid in...still doesn't bug me. Cars ready to go.
Is it the extra wear and tear on the starter? Only thing I can think of. Starters are pretty robust. I've never had to replace one.

As to the jeep comment above, with the Cherokee at least you have to insert the key to keep it running. Its not a button.

This is my aftermarket remote.
4e81e2d034b50a23dc9e3cf5d88175c8.jpg

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I opted to purchase the idatastart HC2 and got it professionally installed. Smaller remote than OEM and has takeover mode so the engine does not shut off when the door is opened. If the key is not with you once you put your foot on the brake, it will shut the engine off. The only downside is rear defroster cannot be enabled from the remote. My installer was really surprised that this product worked so well. I paid ~$200 for the hardware and $200 for labor, overall really pleased with this remote starter system.

idatastart link

I installed the OEM remote start a couple of months ago. Straightforward install I enjoyed.
I don't like having an extra fob on my keyring, but that's inevitable.

I'm glad I went with the OEM, but also glad I read this thread during my prepurchase research. I opted to not connect the kill wire behind the glove box. My reasoning is the whole point in me having remote start is so I DON'T have to start it when I get in the 5. I'm not concerned about theft because if properly installed, as soon as someone steps on the brake pedal it kills the engine (same result as opening the door if wired as designed). IF the person wanting to steal my 5 manages to use the brake shiftlock override to shift out of park, they are still going to have to press the brake pedal to control the car; thus killing the engine.

It's a preference. The days I forget to put my key in prior to touching the brake pedal (.....distracted by email, homeless person approaching, coffee spill, etc.) I think to myself how inconvenient it is to restart the car and wait for navi/dvd deck to reboot, auto climate control decide to switch to MAX, etc. No regrets bypassing the door kill wire here.

Like I said, it's a preference. A lot worse things going on in this country than me choosing when my remote start shuts off.

Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatalk

...The days I forget to put my key in prior to touching the brake pedal...

I think you are in the wrong forum. The CX-5 has never had a key you put in an ignition, only a start button with keyless fob proximity required.

Perhaps you are talking about the Mazda 5 minivan?

I think you are in the wrong forum. The CX-5 has never had a key you put in an ignition, only a start button with keyless fob proximity required.

Perhaps you are talking about the Mazda 5 minivan?
You are correct [emoji1]. This entire debate has been covered in the 5 forum at length. Tapatalk app pulled up the conversation in my feed for some reason and I responded without looking at the forum title. Never looked at the CX-5 forum before.

Glad to know this debate isn't just with the Mazda5 owners. Opinions are like slutty cousins....we've all got one, but it doesn't mean we have to force it on others. [emoji13]

Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatalk

Hi Terry, I just bought my new Mazda 6 remote start. I was reading your thread regarding its installation but i am not able to access any photos. It says "Photo not found" "Click for Photos". When I click, nothing comes up. Appreciate if you can help me with photos.
Thanks in Advance.
Neil

UPDATE: Sorry, but Photobucket sux and have started charging to host images. For that reason, the photos in this thread no longer work and I will not be looking for another site and relinking them all. Also, I sold my CX-5 in 2014.

Thank you. Very understandable. ....... the photos? They do not show up ... or will sent them to me. I will be show them here...
If you compare this system with MMS, which one is better for you? On your opinion...
Thanks in Advance.

Last edited:
Back