Guide CX-5 Factory Remote Starter - Install and Program

Its been 1.5 years and still I could not get my rem. start to work. I have re-programmed everything and replaced the hood switch assembly/re-wired but still nada - as soon as I attempt to start my car remotely the LCD displays "H". I really ANY assistance.
In the printed instructions it says (step 11): "Insert the hood switch harness (Red) terminal to the empty terminal of the vehicle wiring harness 18 pin connector (terminal N)"
However, in Trey's instructions - he clearly says: "Regardless of which fuse panel your car has, the white wire from the hood switch will go into this empty slot I am pointing at. It is behind the red wire in my car, but the red wire may be a different color on yours. Again, refer to the factory instructions here to be sure."

I have a feeling this is where perhaps I am going wrong. In step 11 - irrespective of the color of the hood switch wire - i.e. red or white it MUST go into the EMPTY socket, correct? I have a feeling that I have NOT put it into the correct EMPTY socket. I have the factory instruction printed in front of me and it says to put in in column #2, row #2 - ("N" indicated) starting from left - column 1 and top - row 1

Difficult to draw - but will try - "Y" indicates where I need to insert it.

X XXXX X
X YX XX X
X XX XX X

Last edited:
Its been 1.5 years and still I could not get my rem. start to work. I have re-programmed everything and replaced the hood switch assembly/re-wired but still nada - as soon as I attempt to start my car remotely the LCD displays "H". I really ANY assistance.
In the printed instructions it says (step 11): "Insert the hood switch harness (Red) terminal to the empty terminal of the vehicle wiring harness 18 pin connector (terminal N)"
However, in Trey's instructions - he clearly says: "Regardless of which fuse panel your car has, the white wire from the hood switch will go into this empty slot I am pointing at. It is behind the red wire in my car, but the red wire may be a different color on yours. Again, refer to the factory instructions here to be sure."

I have a feeling this is where perhaps I am going wrong. In step 11 - irrespective of the color of the hood switch wire - i.e. red or white it MUST go into the EMPTY socket, correct? I have a feeling that I have NOT put it into the correct EMPTY socket. I have the factory instruction printed in front of me and it says to put in in column #2, row #2 - ("N" indicated) starting from left - column 1 and top - row 1

Difficult to draw - but will try - "Y" indicates where I need to insert it.

X XXXX X
X YX XX X
X XX XX X

This picture shows the white wire in the proper socket. Hope that helps.

w5.JPG

Its already 2018, for those which has missing connector to Start stop module, have you found a solution? please share

I just bought a 2015 cx-5 from the local dealer and see from the window sticker it has remote start but no key fob. I verified the unit is behind the glovebox. It would be nice to have it working but not for the $300+ a new remote costs. The old owner left their home address and name in the GPS but since they didn't included the roller cargo cover or the carpet mats or all weather maps or the owners manual the car was purchased with they probably sold the items and the remote on ebay. Does anyone have a source for a cheap replacement remote. I assume any remote will be able able to be programmed to the remote start module.

I just bought a 2015 cx-5 from the local dealer and see from the window sticker it has remote start but no key fob. ...

Are you saying the dealer advertised the vehicle having Remote Start? Or, did they clearly state that the module was present, but no way to use it? If it was the former, go back and demand they remedy the issue. If the latter, figure out the manufacturer and contact them.

It was used, the dealer didn't say anything about the remote start but the window sticker when it was new was in the glovebox and it listed the remote start as installed when new from mazda.

Good morning everyone! New to the group and wanted to jump into this thread for a question.

2014 CX-5, yesterday I installed everything for the factory remote start. Went through the process of registering the fobs....and this is where the problems started.

Got the first fob to take, showed A1 on the screen. Moved on to the second and for the life of me, I cannot get it to take.

I read 2 different methods of getting these to work - 1) both in the car 2) need to only have one at a time in the car.

Do you just need ninja quickness to get the second to take? Will it show A2 on the screen if successful?

Thanks!

Dear TreyP do you know if I can register the remote control with a single vehicle key, what happens that I missed. I'm trying several times and I can't install. Can someone help me ..... Thanks in advance ...

2 Questions:

1. Can someone share the hood latch switch pic please?

2. Are 2 Advanced Key FOBs necessary before the RES FOB programming will be completed properly? I have one.

Programming goes through as advertised for 1st AK FOB. Then the RES ECU gives me 2.5 beeps with RES FOB Stop step. Simply put, I'm skipping 2nd AK FOB programming and jumping to RES FOB STOP step, due to the lack of 2nd AK FOB. That's when I get the 2.5 beeps from RES ECU. So either I need 2 AK FOBs for the programming to work correctly; or I have the hood switch not connected or positioned properly.

Hope someone can help and thanks in advance.

2013 CX-5 Sport

Last edited:
I have my questions resolved now; and my factory remote start installed by me is working as advertised now. I was stuck at the programming/registration and it was failing earlier.

You need ALL the smart FOBs (at least 2 each) programmed with the car; BEFORE, you can program the remote start FOB. If you have more than 2 each FOBs programmed, you'll need all of those spare ones as well before your remote start FOB will register/program.

If you have lost one or more of the smart FOBs, you'll have to get a dealer, or a locksmith to delete all old FOBs and RE-Program all FOBs. REMEMBER, YOU NEED AT LEAST 2 SMART FOBS PROGRAMMED with the car before you can register/program your remote start FOB.

I have pics of all installation steps. I'll post the link soon. Hope this helps.

What's the range on the remote from the factory? I ask, because the iDataStart remote is 5000 feet, nearly a mile, and the system is only like $250.

The range is not nearly that good I don't think. The advantage of the Mazda remote is that the car is partially pre-wired for it, making the install fairly painless. You also have the added peace of mind that if something else goes wrong with your car, Mazda won't point at the after market starter and say that is the cause.

You also have the added peace of mind that if something else goes wrong with your car, Mazda won't point at the after market starter and say that is the cause.
They don't really do that these days. These new cars are very aftermarket remote start friendly. Hell, my local dealers will install a 3rd party starter for you.

I hope you're right, but you'd be surprised at the recent stories I've heard.

Oh, I wouldn't be surprised. lol But I bet those are older stories re: remote starters. The technology has come a long way.

Remote starters even 5 years ago were, "Oh wow, please, no, don't do that!". Today, since the widespread use of "T-Harnesses" where you no longer have to cut even one single factory wire in the harness, the installations have become trivial.

Unclick factory harness at the prescribed connectors
Click T-Harness between the factory connectors
Click T-Harness to remote start brain box
Program
Enjoy

Back