Where are the heat shields 2008 cx-9?

asescobedo

:
mazda cx-9, grand touring, 2008
I'm guessing this is where i post this...So, we have this rattling noise coming from what sounds like the passenger side of the car. At first, we were just getting the rattle going around 2000-2500 rpm. Now, it's rattling at around 1500. It sounds like an old school Mercedes diesel. Did the Seafoam thing...that didn't help...Anyways, it doesn't always happen when pushing the accelerator - the determining factor seems to be the rpms of the car. So, in checking the forums, everyone says to check the heat shields. Here's my problem...My car knowledge is limited to changing the oil - I have no idea where the heat shields are or what they look like. The Hubster works til late, and while i could take it to our mechanic, i'd like to check it out. Especially if the fix is something as simple as putting the car up on the ramps and tightening a couple of nuts. It seems like quite a few people have had that problem, but there aren't many threads that say, "yup, this was the fix"...
Thanks for reading this!!!

I had a rattle when going from 0 to 45 mph, once i was on the highway the rattle would go away. It turned out to be the gas tank heat shield that was loose, the rivets fell out from one side. They put two bolts in with washers and that did the trick. I was out of state when that happened and i took it to a dealer there.

That's exactly what happened to me last night, half way to Boston. Same two rivets. I have just taken it to a local tire place, should be done in a couple of hours (they're busy).

It sounds like something really bad going on. I didn't know it was the heat shields because the noise was coming from the 2nd row. I thought it was something worse like the rear diff or something else. When they had the car on a lift recently i looked under and saw where they put the 2 bolts with washer and nut. It was one side only.

Back