Infotainment System

taylorwmj

Had the pleasure of spending nearly 2 hours driving and testing out a s Touring this evening. The driving and handling was superb and very much did feel like it was a RWD at times. Tight turning ratio and great acceleration in Sports mode.

What I was most impressed with, however, was the infotainment system. I am very particular about technology and quality of HCI (Human Computer Interaction). I have spent many a Saturday test driving 2 or 3 different cars and fully dissecting infotainment systems over the past few years. Currently, one of the best systems belongs to Chrysler/Dodge. The most recent version of the Mazda infotainment system was lacking to say the least. In fact, it's basic Double-Din screen looked aftermarket and cheap IMO. It appeared to almost be "too cookie-cutter" and made for easy assembly, instead of aesthetics.

This new infotainment system in the '14 Mazda3's is really, really well designed. Very intuitive and responsive with all controls and the resolution and color palette were very well planned out. The Pandora and Stitcher apps on the system running via Bluetooth from my iPhone 5S running iOS 7 ran flawlessly (even though Mazda's site stated the iPhone can't utilize new iPhones and new versions of iOS). I really enjoyed relaxing my right arm on the center console and using the control knob to control the system while driving as well.

The navigation system had so many options and available setting. The ability to easily switch from 2D to 3D is exceptionally nice. Something really unique to Mazda's nav system was the ability to change the cardinal direction of the 3D view. I also enjoyed being able to drag the map via my finger to change what I viewed on the map. Knowing that map updates are included for 3 years is also a huge plus. One of the surprises today was when the salesmen, (while checking on me) used the voice control button and told the system he was hungry. The car then proceeded to show him nearby restaurants--now that's Siri-like and intelligent.

Just as a side note, while many feel that having a large 7 inch screen mounted on top of the dash like that is a security threat, I feel the entire dash looks very clean and Audi- and Mercedes-like.

I am very impressed Mazda's infotainment system, being called Mazda Connect and am looking forward to ordering my 14 Mazda3 s Grand Touring.

I, too, test drove an s Touring over the weekend. It did have a very responsive drive train, although, like just about every other production car, it needed beefier sway bars IMHO. No doubt those will become available aftermarket before too long. The driver's seat gave good support and was very comfortable. Overall, the interior looked and felt high-quality, unlike that in my '12 EX Civic coupe. Unfortunately, I didn't have the time with the car to get to know the infotainment system, and the salesman was clueless about it, saying that he hadn't yet been trained on it. I'm pleased to find out that someone who knows his stuff on this technology thinks highly of it. I will almost certainly get an s, maybe even an s GrandTouring with the Tech package, if I can swing the extra cost, but I need to amortize the Civic for another six or eight months before making the switch.

I also test drove the sGT over the weekend. Very happy with the ride quality and how quiet the interior is. The sales guy didn't know much about the infotainment system so after we parked he told me to go play around with it and then he left. I connected my iPhone 4s (iOS 5) and tested out Pandora, worked like a charm. That's all I tested actually lol I was originally put off by the placement of the 7" LCD screen but after driving the car I feel it's a great place for it. Having the screen at eye level and all buttons and knobs within hand's reach, everything just works so well together. Would be nice if it retracted but still, it's not a bad look. I guess it's grown on me lol

I was originally put off by the placement of the 7" LCD screen but after driving the car I feel it's a great place for it. Having the screen at eye level and all buttons and knobs within hand's reach, everything just works so well together. Would be nice if it retracted but still, it's not a bad look. I guess it's grown on me lol

Actually, the screen is placed just the same in the current 3-series BMW and the new Mercedes CLA250. Not bad company, I suppose. In fact, those are the two other cars I'm considering in addition to the Mazda 3s.

Actually, the screen is placed just the same in the current 3-series BMW and the new Mercedes CLA250. Not bad company, I suppose. In fact, those are the two other cars I'm considering in addition to the Mazda 3s.

I'm in the same boat with you Lenny. I'm actually still waiting for my MB dealership to get a CLA in for me to test drive. I'm debating between a CLA250 or the new Mazda3. Although the higher cost of ownership and repairs on the CLA is something that is turning me off to it.

I would disagree that it is a security threat. It's attached very well, did you try to wiggle it? Hardly moves. Besides, it's just a screen, and if you rip it out, it becomes useless. The navigation drive is not located in the unit, it is in the lower dash, by the drivers left knee.

I'm debating between a CLA250 or the new Mazda3.

Now, there's something I never thought I'd ever hear; I'm deciding between a Mercedes and a Mazda.

Not saying I disagree. I certainly do see the comparison. Only saying I never thought people would ever compare a Mazda to a Mercedes. All I can say is "well done Mazda".

MB maintenance will cost easily 4X that of Mazda.
Try brake pad/rotor for $1000 per axel.
MB use soft steel for rotor.
You need to replace rotor with pad together.

When you buy cars from luxury brands, be ready to pay for premium services.
Oil change will be $180 instead of $39.95. (yes, that includes a loaner if you need it.)

The CLA is a little crammed, I got a chance to sit in one a couple days ago and its one of the few cars to make me feel claustrophobic lol the others being the Smart car, Scion IQ and Nissan Juke.

Back