42 days after repair, water pump is leaking again, will dealer repair it at no cost?

Hon2bmw

:
2003 Pure White Protege5, 1999 540iT Panzer Wagon
Do dealers usually warranty their work/parts?

So I had the water pump replaced and some other work done at the dealer on the P5 at the end of July. I got home today to find a pool of coolant under the car. I put it up on jackstands and whenever the engine is running there is a steady drip of coolant coming out of the weep hole in the pump. Do most dealers warranty their work? I am going to take the car back to them tomorrow, I just want to see what people's experience has been with getting dealerships to fix items, its technically been about 42 days since the repair. I DO NOT want to have to pay to have something fixed again, the part lasted Less than 2,000 miles.

Any one have any experience with this?

Hell yea, I work at a chevy dealership and that s*** does not fly there. Managers get involed with seriouse s*** like that.

Why you have this done at a stealership?

Never owned a Mazda before, didn't know any independent shops who work on them, involved replacing timing components so I didn't want to touch it, plus the average temperature outside in Phoenix at the end of July was 107 degrees?

Aside from the cost in most cases you will get far better quality work at a dealership compared to an independent shop and you have better luck getting it repaired when things like this happen. I do everything myself so if anything goes wrong I am the only one to blame.

They fixed it, no charge, gave me a loaner for the day, actually replaced some additional parts too according to the invoice.

The parts/labor also have a 12 month warranty.

Shaft bearing seal failed.

Last edited:
The tech over-tightened the water pump belt, way over-tightened. This is actually very common thing to happen on proteges and miatas.

Back