Brand new Mazda - Has Rough Idle - feels like it needs a tune up

Exactly the same problem. A month old CX-5 2.5L bought in the US. I have noticed the Mazda 6 at the dealership has the same problem. It really seems to be a "designed by Mazda"

What did the dealership say when you raised the issue with them?

Some 2nd generation (2017+) CX-5s exhibited vibrations and probably rough idle due to one of the motor mounts freezing up and cracking in colder temps. No idea if this is the case for you, but in order for us to provide any more assistance, we'll need more info about the car and the issues you're having.

The Mazda 2.5 engine has what's known as an "Accelerated Warmup System."
The engine sounds a bit like a diesel when first started and may run a bit rough, especially in cold winter climate locations. I'm not sure exactly how the system works, but I believe part of it includes altering the timing, among other things.
This is normal for Mazda.

What did the dealership say when you raised the issue with them?

Some 2nd generation (2017+) CX-5s exhibited vibrations and probably rough idle due to one of the motor mounts freezing up and cracking in colder temps. No idea if this is the case for you, but in order for us to provide any more assistance, we'll need more info about the car and the issues you're having.
No, I did not. As I said, I observed the same during waiting for a salesman in the new Mazda 6 running at idle.

The behavior is very similar to what TXBuilt14 described 7 years ago. It does not matter if AC is running or not. Running AC will just lead to higher RPM (around 750), but I can feel the same behavior. When vibration occurs, I can see a very small drop in RPM.

I am pretty surprised by this. This is my second petrol engine after almost 15 years. My previous 1.9DCi and 1.6 HDI diesel engines in Europe never have this problem. I would expect a super smooth idle and almost no sound for a petrol engine... The sound is not too far away from my previous 1.6HDi....

Does your CX-5 have cylinder deactivation? I think I remember reading a thread about CD causing vibrations somehow. There's a TSB for it somewhere

The lumpy idle is VERY common with Skyactiv, especially with when the A/C compressor cycles on. My '17 CX does it, a loaner 2020 Mazda3 did it, my friends 2021 CX-5 does it, my bosses '17 Miata 6-speed manual does it. My *theory* is that at low engine speeds there isn't sufficient air swirl in the cylinder, and with unusually high compression + direct injection the air/fuel charge isn't very homogeneous at low speeds, resulting in somewhat uneven cylinder contribution and a somewhat sooty exhaust (most skyactiv vehicles I've looked at have soot build up on exhaust tips). The lumpiness seems exacerbated by load (A/C compressor and trans in D or R).

Last edited:
Hi there,
2016 Mazda CX-5 2.5L with vibrations on idle after engine warms up. The vibration can be felt every 2-3 seconds as the engine runs at idle. A/C is off and every cylinder is working. Also scanned for any trouble codes but found none. Car was just serviced my Mazda at 50,000km so not sure if this is a feature of this engine:unsure:? I just bought this car from previous owner so I have no history for when this issue might have started. I am trying to understand if others also have the same issue. I can feel the slight vibration while sitting in the driver seat which happens every 2-3 seconds. However the tachometer does not fluctuate with each vibration.

Back