Brand new Mazda - Has Rough Idle - feels like it needs a tune up

NancyBubbles

:
2014 Mazda CX-5 - Touring FWD
Hi All,

Just looking for some answers - and feedback. Hope you can help.

I purchased a new 2014 CX-5 Touring FWD June 21st 2013

Everything was great for the first 13 days. After that, I noticed the car started to shake in idle. So I call the salesman who sold me the car and he told me to bring it in to have it looked at by the service team and brought the car in July 3rd. After the service team went back and forth with Mazda corporate, they tell me its the gas. So I do as they instruct and burn up what was in the tank. Then they tell me to fill up and burn 2 more tanks. (all the while the car continues to shake with a rough idle and feels significantly worse and now happens in all gears) finally in late August - I am told (and I quote) "this is a normal characteristic of the vehicle." To say the least, I was not happy with this response So - I bring it to another dealer - and yesterday (after finding my record in the computer) this guy tells me the same thing.
He says that its they skyactiv technology that causes the engine to 're-circle' and that is what I am feeling in idle. (NO ACCESSORIES are on when this happens.)

So - They expect me to believe that they knowing built a car (that costs $30k on average) to PURPOSELY SHAKE AND GIVE YOU A ROUGH IDLE. Are you kidding me? (pissed)

The service manager suggested that I can have a 'flight recorder' installed so they can monitor the reading from the computer - so they are putting it in today and I should have my car back tomorrow - but this thing shakes every time you get in it and they keep telling me that "ALL TESTS ARE COMING BACK NORMAL"

Has anyone else had the same experiences? OR is your CX-5 running beautifully? Either way, I would love to chat with you regarding your experience.
Please message me.
Thanks so much and I look forward to hearing from you.

Oh and PS - I'm lucky if I get 22-25 MPG (City/Highway mix)

Something is wrong. Keep brining it back until it gets fixed. Escalate to Mazda if needed.

Your MPG is low too, like 4-6 MPG too low in my opinion. Unless you have a lead foot, but it should not be that bad really.

well, technically, a rough idle is a "trait" of the skyactiv engine. However, if the rough idle lasts longer than 20-30 seconds after a cold start, then that is a problem.

They have an exhaust recirculating system that heats the engine for maximum efficiency during a cold start.

Your dealer is fos. Our 2014 has 6000 miles on it and it is buttery smooth at idle.

Can you define "shakes"... ?

No, the CX-5 does not have a Lexus dead still idle, as you will feel VERY evident vibration through the drive-line. I can attest to this with both my CX-5, and my previous `12 3i. To me this is normal in an economy / mid-class car. I didn't pay for Lexus NVH, nor do I expect it.

One of your comments confuses me though, "continues to shake with a rough idle and feels significantly worse and now happens in all gears".

What is happening while you're driving and in all gears???

Nancy,

You are not alone. I found your post while doing a web search because I could not believe the issue I was having either.

My new 2014 CX-5 Touring (2.5L Skyactive engine / 184hp) has a rough idle as well and has since day one when I purchased back in July 2013. I am at roughly 4.5K miles now and it has never gotten better, or worse.

The idle is not extremely rough... almost feels like a reverberation every few seconds. Barely noticeable visually on the tach but can definitely feel it in my seat and at the pedal. Happens whether the car is cold or warm... driving for 10 minutes or after driving for four hours... it doesn't matter. Other than this, the car seems to run and accelerate just fine. It is a little anemic with regard to get up and go and can get caught between gears once in a while when I accelerate hard in a passing situation, but I chock those issues up to an engine design tuned for maximum mileage. I get about 26.5 mpg around town and I am slightly more aggressive than the average driver with my gas foot. Never gotten close to the max highway mpg offered up by Mazda, even on long trips which I have taken several.

I have not yet gone to the extent that you have followed up on this issue, but the dealership conversation over the phone started with "...that's just the way the Skyactive engines run" as well. The service guy at my dealership had never heard of the isseu. I will take it in and show them your post as well. Would love to hear of others who have the issue. This is a popular model for Mazda and I have to believe there are more of us "anomalies" out there. I cannot find any TSB's on it either. It may just be a matter of time, but hopefully long before my warranty goes out on it.

Good luck and I will keep posting if I get anything new to share.

There are a couple of TSBs regarding rough idle. Not sure if it will help. Maybe it'll give your dealer a starting point to diagnose the problem.
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-sY4-KaDJV-a1hUUnBsdGhrNjA/edit?pli=1
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-sY4-KaDJV-NnotVUxJQkJ5cjQ/edit?pli=1

Your first link is only for Mazda3 and about using winter fuel and only when the car is idling longer than 20 minutes.
Your 2nd link is is only 2013 cx5 and has to do with oil issue and engine light will turn on.

Hey people with "rough" idle, take a video and let us see the RPM gauge.
TXBuilt4, yours sound normal.

I have a 2014 but I've had several TSB issues fixed by the dealer because my CX-5 was covered under those TSBs since it was built in 2013.

My 2013 had a vibration in reverse mostly especially when cold and Mazda replaced the motor mount, which fixed it. My 2014 is starting to do the exact same thing now. I have an appointment. Mine does seem to be slightly rough at idle sometimes but not all.

Found this maybe the same Crabster found, on 2.0 could be the same for 2.5.

http://www.autocarepro.com/Article/120902/mazdas_skyactiv_technology.aspx

Mazda has released at least one TSB for the 2.0L SKYACTIV-G engine in the 2012-’13 Mazda 3 and 2013 CX-5. Bulletin 01-003/13 covers a rough-idle condition with an illumined MIL and DTCs P0015 and P0524. The DTC code P0015 is exhaust cam timing over-retarded, and the code P0524 is for low engine oil pressure.

The possible cause may be debris in the oil pump pressure relief valve or the oil control valve causing a drop in oil pressure. The recommended fix is to check oil pressure, and if it’s less than specifications (7 psi or more at idle, and 43 to 62 psi at 4,500 rpm), *replace the oil pump and clean the oil pan.

Mazda also has a TSB out warning of contaminated mass airflow sensors on some of these *engines. Bulletin 01-009/12 says MAF sensor *problems can be caused by debris on the sensor *element. Check the condition and fit of the air *filter (replace as needed), and clean or replace the MAF sensor, as needed, if the maximum static voltage reading for the MAF sensor exceeds 0.65 to 0.68 volts.

well, technically, a rough idle is a "trait" of the skyactiv engine. However, if the rough idle lasts longer than 20-30 seconds after a cold start, then that is a problem.

They have an exhaust recirculating system that heats the engine for maximum efficiency during a cold start.

I read in first 30 seconds it burns gas in the header to quickly heat up the catalytic converter creating rough idle. Its a smart idea to allow use of 4-2-1 header. Mazda is first one to figure out how to use this type of header and still pass emissions. It means 13:1 compression, low 3250rpm torque peak, and highest mpg in class. I can live with rough 30 second idle for those benefits. Maybe it takes longer than 30 seconds in very cold MA?

Last edited:
I read in first 30 seconds it burns gas in the header to quickly heat up the catalytic converter creating rough idle. Its a smart idea to allow use of 4-2-1 header. Mazda is first one to figure out how to use this type of header and still pass emissions. It means 13:1 compression, low 3250rpm torque peak, and highest mpg in class. I can live with rough 30 second idle for those benefits. Maybe it takes longer than 30 seconds in very cold MA?

Sometimes its less than 30 seconds, actually it seems more like 10-15 seconds.

Found this maybe the same Crabster found, on 2.0 could be the same for 2.5.

http://www.autocarepro.com/Article/120902/mazdas_skyactiv_technology.aspx

Mazda has released at least one TSB for the 2.0L SKYACTIV-G engine in the 2012-’13 Mazda 3 and 2013 CX-5. Bulletin 01-003/13 covers a rough-idle condition with an illumined MIL and DTCs P0015 and P0524. The DTC code P0015 is exhaust cam timing over-retarded, and the code P0524 is for low engine oil pressure.

The possible cause may be debris in the oil pump pressure relief valve or the oil control valve causing a drop in oil pressure. The recommended fix is to check oil pressure, and if it’s less than specifications (7 psi or more at idle, and 43 to 62 psi at 4,500 rpm), *replace the oil pump and clean the oil pan.

Mazda also has a TSB out warning of contaminated mass airflow sensors on some of these *engines. Bulletin 01-009/12 says MAF sensor *problems can be caused by debris on the sensor *element. Check the condition and fit of the air *filter (replace as needed), and clean or replace the MAF sensor, as needed, if the maximum static voltage reading for the MAF sensor exceeds 0.65 to 0.68 volts.

That's an important article and best technical description of skyactiv engine I've seen. Here is reprint of exact same article for future reference. http://www.enginebuildermag.com/2013/11/the-skys-the-limit-looking-into-mazdas-skyactiv-engine-technology/

Interesting it mentions cleaning MAF sensor to fix rough idle. That would be easy to do since typically the MAF sensor is just a special wire running across the air stream. The wire is heated when functioning so be careful since its very hot right after engine is turned off.

Last edited:
My 2.5L 2014 touring has a somewhat loud and rough idle for about 15 seconds after a cold start and then is smooth. So smooth that I sometimes need to look at the tachometer to see if it's running. I also think you probably got a tank of contaminated fuel. Ed

Last edited:
My previous car had an extremely rough idle, so rough in fact that I had to put it in neutral every time I stop so it doesn't disturb the people around (and embarrass me in the process). When I bought the CX-5 I was really looking forward enjoying some shake free time idling on a stop light, but that has not materialized so far. I don't mean that is as bad as my old car but definitely not as smooth I as had hoped. It is not the warm up cycle it goes through at cold start. The shaking is very evident at all times regardless how wormed up the engine is. The best way I can describe is as having one of those cheap seat massagers (that basically only vibrate) turned to low setting. Putting the cat in neutral does not seem to help a lot. The vibration is not even either, it sorts of goes through short cycles with slightly rougher bumps feeling almost like miss-fires. I thought that I got some bad fuel, so I ran it almost dry and changed gas stations, but it made no difference. I know upfront that the Skyactive engine is not the smoothest out there, but many people report that they can not tell at all when the engine is wormed up and in idle. Anyone else having this issue?

zorobg,

mine's the same way. 2014.5 with about 3000 miles on it so far. I wouldn't use misfires as a description, but it is a constant, cyclical minor roughness at idle. (I thought maybe it was just my perception, as I've been driving mostly hybrids for the past decade...with the exception of an MX5 that I didn't put many miles on. So I was pretty used to silence at stoplights.)

My grandfather's new Hyundai Santa Fe has the loudest nastiest sounding idle I have heard, other than the cold initial high idle mine seems fine. I use 91 octane from only top tier companies though.

My grandfather's new Hyundai Santa Fe has the loudest nastiest sounding idle I have heard, other than the cold initial high idle mine seems fine. I use 91 octane from only top tier companies though.

You're wasting money using 91 on the CX-5

Back