MSP yellow paint. Where can i get a perfect match?

AlexAudioGuy

:
2003 Mazdaspeed Prtoege
So i'm trying to fix up some of the surface rust on my 2003.5 msp, and I was wondering if anyone knows where to get the special tri-color yellow paint they used oem. Thanks!!

i dont think the dealer ship sells it anymore. The paint code is 26s if i remeber correctly. just be carfull who you get to mix it. Its not any easy color to mix at all. Ive had a few shops complain about it. the one shop that repainted the one side of my blazing yellow ended up adding to much pearl or somthin and it turned into a kindof orange yellow. Than when I had my bumper repainted they also had trouble and the yellow looks more like yellow on a p5. Its a tricky color forsure.

It will be very hard to match. 10 years of fading will play its role. You will need to do a big area to blend it in.

hahaha it is smooth, But i love the yellow too much. Plus matte plasti dip just wont do the car justice

I just bought some Sherwin Williams Dimensions line is $25/pint and eh close, I think cause its just base/clear. The Ultra line is $135/pint and its spot on for a match being a tri-coat, color/mid/clear! Anyways there are other brands that you can get mixed to the color you need!

it's the paint man who creates the "perfect" match.

Any proper shop can mix you up the color code. It will come base coat / mid coat (flakes n pearl) / and the your clear.

Then it's up to the painter to match. I found with tri coat paints you can fade the mid coat out to create a "match" But it's all in the technique.

Don't cheap out too hard, or depending on how well it's done, your clear will start flaking off in a couple years.

the only way you wil lget a semi perfect match is to make friends with an autobodyman with THE BEST color maching system you can get.. dupont chromax pro or even valspar is very good. due to the age of the car the basecolor will be very difficult to match as there is a SHYTE ton of pearl in this color.. matching colors is a case by case process and your bodyman has to have the car in front of him and really good eye for adjusting things by hand manually.

took me like 8 tries of base colors and various concentrations of sunbeam gold to redo my front lip. touch up paint is simply not going to work. reds and yellows are some of the hardest colors to match.

ps, i did all the prep and paint work myself and it still cost me $160 in materials when you could still buy chromabase. i imagine it would be similar for chromax or valspar. the base and the midcoat are sold as seperate entities even though they are required for the color.
but the most expensive part is the clear.

I wouldnt really recommend a project like this unless you are a semi professional painter. buying all the GOOD tools you would need would just be cheaper to have it done by someone who has done tricoats before. id probably make sure you see the spray out card before you let him actually touch the car too lol.

ack. i sound defeatest but 26s is shytey color.. I love it but holy crap.. lol. ill be having the closest match done i can in valspar and respraying everything in a couple years. oh, ask for the card after all is said and done, and keep it in your wallet lol.

Last edited:
Back