Bent wheel

Premacy5

:
2010 Mazda5 MT
I bought new tires last Tuesday. Long story short since discount tire are overbooked they rush and did not even notice that two of my wheels are bent. Now I am stuck with the possibilities of ruining my new and fairly expensive (for me) brand new set of tires.

What really pissed me off is that if I know I have to buy new wheels I would buy 16" wheels and much wider tires than the one I just bought. :mad:

Now I am trying to decided to fix my bent wheel, buy used take off or buy completely new after market wheels.

Anybody have good luck getting the wheels straightened? Buying refurbished OEM wheels are expensive. So far $180 and up each. Costco is selling vellox wheels fairly cheap & they have $150 off until September 22nd. I am looking at Vellox Neptune or Apex. Anybody know if they are pretty good or not?

Velox used to be a pretty popular/decent brand back in the early 2000s. They made a few lightweight wheels, but most of their stuff is pretty standard "look at me" wheels that are decently built. I assume you're on the stock 17s? Maybe look for some MX-5 wheels? Those fit well, are half an inch wider, and a LOT lighter than the stock wheels (6 pounds each!).

Yes I am on OEM wheels. This supposed to be family car and I do not want to attract attention

This is the one I am looking for
Velox Apex replica of some type of BBS
apex_full.jpg

Velox Neptune
replica of OZ Superleggara
neptune_full.jpg

I do not want look at me wheels. This is expensive unplanned purchase already. This would cost $489 + Tax delivered. They came with free lug nuts and hub ring to fit the 67.1 mm center bore.

I make some best offer on Ebay for OEM wheels too. Lets see if they bite. One wheel is bad enough and I got 2 bent at the same time.

That is good price. It's replica but would not concern me since its a heavy wheel to begin with. I have a bit more concern with the MX5 wheel since it might be a lot weaker if it weight the same or would be a lot heavier than OEM wheels.

I have to wait for my best offer expired/declined but most likely I would just get the OEM replica.

Don't worry about the MX-5 wheel. It's still an OEM design, so it has to comply with some pretty strict strength guidelines to be sold on a mass-market car. It's able to handle all the high G forces of track abuse and the extra power that a lot of people feed through them, so no biggie on a 5. I'd hazard to guess that they're quite a bit safer than the cheapo generic super heavy aftermarket cast stuff that's on eBay.

We end up buying a replica OEM wheel off eBay for $110 each. I hope it would be strong enough for this car.

I would get OEM miata wheel if I can find it for less than $500. Problem is at that price I could only find replica wheels with unknown quality. The main thing is I need the car fixed quickly before the new tires get ruined.

We end up buying a replica OEM wheel off eBay for $110 each. I hope it would be strong enough for this car.

I would get OEM miata wheel if I can find it for less than $500. Problem is at that price I could only find replica wheels with unknown quality. The main thing is I need the car fixed quickly before the new tires get ruined.

Totally understand the time crunch- I still had good wheels on my car when I bought my set. Keep a notification running on your local Craigslist and just pick them up when you see them. I got mine for $300 with no curb marks.

Take them to your local wheel shop and find out if they are even fixable. I bent one of mine on a nasty pothole a while back and it was on the verge of being unfixable... luckily it was fixable though... cost about $130 all in.

Well the replica wheels come in today and got it installed. They are as expected made in China. From the outside they look exactly the same but no JWL approval code.

Interestingly I found these Mobile Wheel Repair Service today too. Did not call to get estimate but if they could come to you to repair it that would be very convenient. They claim to be able to fix most bent wheel in 1 hour or less.

I don't know about one hour or less unless it's a curb job. The wheel repair place I used to use here in Texas turns around wheels in 2 days, and that's with stripping, straightening, welding, adding material, heat treat and re-coat. Last cost was something like $125 a wheel.

Back