anyone done rust removal and prevention for msp?

:
03 MSP OJ
i have Por-15 ,engine enamel paint

looking to take down front bumper and fender, strip original paint and rust from the body frame down, repaint them with Por15 by myself

clean and paint the oil pan with engine enamel by myself

also have new front crossmember supporting piece with 4 new bolts (not sure if i should get new crossmember too?)

i was thinking about asking shop to strip the paint down from the crossmember and repaint it with Por15.

(shop told me its gonna cost the same as replacing a new one, also it wont last long)

and i wanna do the side jack point and safety stand point
(the metal turned soft and tends to bend slightly when left on safety stand)
shop quote me 700 to repair 2 of the side safety stand area with some kind of metal pieces GM vehicle usually repair with.(is that price acceptable?)

Yes. I repainted 3/4 of the metal under my msp.

why engine enamel tho?

I'd suggest a epoxy primer for underneath, not sure how POR does, but I've heard it only really sticks to rusted metal n wont stick to bear metal so I'd say only strip the rusty spots

i dont know, i feel oil pan is hot, engine enamel or caliper paint is the only heat resist paint i have

and engine enamel is much cheaper compare to caliper paint.

for underbody floor panel, i was thinking about Por15 too, (the Por15 kit come with washing/degreasing chemical and metal ready prep chemical, i think that prep chemical spray make Por15 work on bare metal.)

you don't need things like caliper paint

in areas near the exhaust etc I did a layer of heat proof primer over top of my epoxy primer before the top coat paint. it's holding up great.

Always good for the wallet to work with what you've got but I feel since your doing the job might as well do it proper

for the underbody have you considerd using tar paint? its allot thicker and holds up better to salt and road grime

rubberizers and such are almost risky cause they can trap and hold moisture underneath them over time, if you feel the need to rubberize Id do it on top of your other paint and only in spots that need it. ( I only used it in very select spots, my inner rear fenders were only done with the paints I mentioned before, not rubber ish, and they are holdin up very well. - been 6k kms ish)

and, yourwelcome.

do some research yourself don't believe everything this forum tells you lol

Latest posts

Back