2001 Protege LX Radio Unit Issues

erik84

My radio/cd unit has been in and out for the last year or so, meaning the sound cuts in and out (not the power). I just decided to remove it just to make sure there wasn't a loose connection in the back. When I reconnected, it wouldn't power up at all. I checked all fuses and nothing was thrown.

So I have two questions:

1. Is it possible the disconnecting and reconnecting cause something to short internally? Or other suggestions?

2. I've been searching ebay for OEM radios just in case I my unit is officially dead. And since some of the units are more than I expected to spend, I also searched for Miata, Tribute, Millenia, and MVP. I wasn't surprised to see most of the units across the different models looking similar, and the wiring clip to look the same as well. So my question is are most of these radio/cd units all compatible? (the non-BOSE branding radios). I found the same exact unit as mine on ebay for a Millenia: https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned) But there are a few others for Millenia, MVP, and Miata that I might be interested in, like this one: https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned) . So does anyone know about the cross compatibility for all these similar units?

Thanks!

So I was Havin the same issue. Finally got around to stop being lazy. Anyways I've noticed a lot of people have this issue and I finally found the issue, least in mine and a few friends cars. In the P5 the tweeter on the pillar shorts out, when that happens the CD player will turn on but the CD player will have no sound. To test that theory pull ur head unit and connect one speaker at a time, if you have a factory head unit with wiring then just take it to an audio store n tell them u just want a shortage test across all speakers. Our of 4 cars this was the problem on all of them. Ended up replacing all speakers while I had panels off.

which stereo do you have? six disc in dash? single in dash? double din?

I bought my car from a dealer in which the original owner barely used the cd player. the 6 disc changer works great but I'm upgrading to a new double din radio soon.

honestly, I would just replace your radio with a aftermarket replacement...a factory radio will cost more than an aftermarket and the aftermarket will definitely sound better.

Back