Harsh engagement, Loud clunk, Lurching Forward when Shifted from Reverse to Drive

phillips1983

:
2013 Mazda CX-9 Touring - FWD
Hi,

I recently purchased a Brand New 2013 Mazda CX-9 (Auto w/ Touring Package) on June 26, 2013.

I have only 1,700 miles on the odometer as of right now.

The problem I have currently having is: Harsh engagement is accompanied by an Extremely Loud Clunk and Vehicle Violently Lurching/Jumping/Jolting/Jerking Forward motion each time the vehicle is placed into Reverse then shifted into Drive position while the brake pedal is pressed completely.
(Notes: I have read and followed Mazda�s recommended Break-In procedure for a new vehicle exactly as it is stated in the provided Mazda owners� manual.)

The problem that I am currently experiencing started when the vehicle had around 700 miles on the odometer. I do not experience any issues when the car is cold. After I drive the vehicle for about 15 minutes or so; the harsh engagement problem from Reverse to Drive starts to occur.

With that being said, the first time that this happened, it was unexpected and I seriously thought that another vehicle hit me from behind in a parking lot, so I immediately got out of my car to check for the other vehicle and for any damage. There was no damage or any other car.
I then repeated my steps the way in which I pulled the car into the parking spot prior to it happening. I shifted the car into reverse, backed out of my spot, placed my foot on the brake pedal, came to a complete stop, shifted into Drive�..then all at once I heard and felt a loud harsh clunk and the car dangerously lurched /jumped/jerked forward. This startled me and scared the other passengers again in the vehicle. So, I immediately called the Mazda Service Department and made an appointment.

Every time I drive my Brand New Mazda CX-9 this harsh shift engagement occurs. It is most noticeable when I come to a complete stop in a parking lot or my driveway, put the car into Reverse, come to a complete stop, then I put the car into Drive then as stated...........the CX-9 jolts/lurches/jerks forward (accompanied by a loud disturbing clunk noise) as if another vehicle bumps into me from behind.

I have brought the CX-9 in four (4) different times to the Mazda Service department regarding this problem.

1. July 23, 2013 - (717 miles on odometer) - Work Performed: Automatic Transmission Electronic Diagnosis
Did not help at all.

2. August 7, 2013 - (978 miles on odometer) - Work Performed: Shift Shock � Note Reflash PCM for Shift Shock
Helped for about 100 miles, then problem came back

3. August 15, 2013 - (1,214 miles on odometer) - Work Performed: Harsh Engagement (K0404XRX) � Transmission Control Module Replaced
Again, Helped for about 100 miles, then problem came back even worse.

4. August 20, 2013 - (1,345 miles on odometer) - Work Performed: Harsh Engagement K0404XRX Transmission Control Module, R&R
Absolutely no change. Problem is still present.

As of right now, August 31, 2013 - (1,641 miles on odometer) - the dealer service department has Ordered a new replacement transmission and I am currently waiting for it to get delivered and installed. I am not sure if this will fix the problem.

If anyone has been experiencing this problem or if anyone could help me out or guide me in any way, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks So Much!!

It looks like you brought this car in to the service department for the same problem 4 times. You should keep all of your receipts and have them document this on the work orders. If the tranny doesn't solve the problem it is time for a buyback from the manufacturer.

I have not heard of this problem, but definitely agree that if the replacement transmission does not solve the problem completely a buyback should be the next step. The CX-9 for the most part seems to be extremely reliable so this must just be one that has a problem from the factory. It does seem like the dealer is doing everything they can to solve the problem and went through various things and now are on to the whole transmission. Keep us posted!

I'm sure the trans replacement will fix the problem. I can't say I've ever experienced this even one time, and I'm at 62k

Thanks so much for everyone's feedback, much appreciated.

I have the feeling that the Harsh engagement, Loud clunk, Lurching Forward when Shifted from Reverse to Drive problem may not be directly caused by a faulty transmission. Reason being is that the other day, I drove and made a few errands with my CX-9 and each time I made a stop the harsh engagement occurred, but, while I was parking the car during one of my schedule errands, at first the problem was present until I accidentally bumped the shifter into the manual sport mode (+/-). I then put it back into the normal DRIVE position then shifted into reverse back up slightly and put it into DRIVE then.....nothing. Harsh engagement problem was gone. It seems the manual sport mode (+/-) acted as a RESET. During the remaining of the day, the CX-9 shifted smoothly between Reverse and Drive.

I got excited at first but the next day I drove the CX-9 the problem came back. :(

*Quick update:

I am still waiting for a call from Mazda to inform me when the new transmission is scheduled for delivery.

How long does it usually take for a transmission to get shipped out and delivered? Would it be shipped from Japan?

**Additional Information:

I have been searching online for anyone else with this similar problem that I am experiencing. Thus far, I have only found one other person on a different forum with the same problem. I have tried contacting him/her to see what was done to fix their CX-9 but I have not heard back.

Thanks again!!

My wife and I purchase a 2013 cx9 here in Texas. The vehicle was driven in from a remote location. We had it for a day and noticed the harsh engagement moving from Park to Drive or Reverse to Drive. Frankly, I thought the transmission would break. To date, the car has been in the shop 4 days in a row. There has been no trans replacement. That may be changing as the car is going back to our dealership very soon. I have driven Mazda's for 20 years and have never had a problem like this. Ironically, my son has the exact same car minus the transmission problem However, he has issues with outside mirrors that shave so much that vision is impaired. That is another story. Frankly, I woud have expected more from Mazda.

Keep in mind harsh engagement is normal when shifting from park into reverse or drive, if you are parked on a slope with the parking pawl fully engaging the vehicle's weight. I.e. parked on a slope, vehicle rolls forward and stops against the pawl. But while driving around and going from reverse to drive you should not have an issue. The whole "expecting more from Mazda" arguement..... I would frustrated as well but since 2007 this is the first thread to address this ever happening. I'd say our trans has a pretty good track record.

Keep in mind harsh engagement is normal when shifting from park into reverse or drive, if you are parked on a slope with the parking pawl fully engaging the vehicle's weight. I.e. parked on a slope, vehicle rolls forward and stops against the pawl. But while driving around and going from reverse to drive you should not have an issue.

+1 why I use the parking brake. I have experienced this harsh engagement a few times over the past 3 years of ownership when parking on inclines.

Very strange to be hearing about all this on 2013 models... software glitch? I didn't think there were any physical changes to the trans.

We actually just dropped off my wife's 2012 awd at Mazda this morning. Same issue as described. Car has 9000 miles. It has been doing it for months, but was intermittent at first, now it does it every time. I made a multi-point turn yesterday... that was fun.

Trust me, this is NOT normal. It feels like if you were parked in a manual car with it in gear and the clutch pressed then quickly released the clutch with it still in gear.

Last edited:
Update: They called my wife and told her to come pick up her rental car. They told her they are shipping out her transmission computer overnight to have it reprogrammed with updated software.

Hi, I started this post back in September and here is more information:

Here is my timeline:
7/23/13 - (717 miles) Car clunks/jolts into drive from R/N/P
Performed: Auto Trans Electronic Diagnosis
Result: No Change

8/07/13 - (978 miles) Car clunks/hits hard into drive from R/N/P
Performed: Shift Shock - Reflash PCM/TCM
Result: Worked for ~100 miles then problem came back

8/15/13 - (1214 miles) Car engages harshly into drive from R/N/P
Performed: Replaced Trans. Control Module
Result: Worked for ~200 miles then problem came back

8/22/13 - (1345 miles) Car engages harshly into drive from R/N/P
Performed: Replaced Trans. Control Module Again
Result: Worked for ~200 miles then problem came back

8/26/2013 - Contacted BBB for assistance (Not much help at all)

9/10/13 - (1792 miles) Car engages harshly into drive from R/N/P
Performed: REPLACED Automatic Transmission
Result: New Trans. helped a little but CX-9 still shifted harshly

9/24/13 - (2290 miles) Car still engages harshly into drive from R/N/P after news Trans.
Performed: Mazda master tech drove vehicle acknowledged problem but said everything is working up to Mazda's specification
The new installed transmission created more/other problems: harsh downshifts into 4th gear, clunking/jerking out of 3rd gear, and the CX-9 would rev itself upto 4000+rpms when downshifting.

Mazda acknowledge the problem was present each time but after the 6th visit to the dealer, they changed their tune and know stated that everything is normal. I lost all respect for Mazda so...The end result: after taking numerous days off from work to get this car repaired, I was fed up. I could no longer put my family at risk in this dangerous/unsafe/unpredictable car so I ended up taking a loss and I traded in the CX-9 in for a different (better) brand. I hope Mazda can fix your CX-9's. Best of luck to all.

Sorry to hear about that. Sounds like something is going on with the 2013 build of the transmission. Bad batch? Cheaper internals?

My 2013 makes a loud sound when shifting out of park but only if I have to park on a steep incline where the parking brake isn't strong enough to keep the weight off the transmission. I'm presuming this is normal.

Yeah that's normal. Our e-brake is kinda worthless. Car still rolls back/forward and then there is the light bang when you take it out of park.
But at least for me, normal shifting from park, or from revers, smooth like butter. I've never had a problem. That would drive me nuts what these folks are going through.

It would drive me nuts as well, hopefully Mazda takes care of them. My car only has 1,400 miles on it so hopefully it stays smooth.

Last edited:
Ford had a problem like this, turned out to be bad grounds causing the TCM to go nuts since the input signals were essentially the wrong voltage. Might be an easy thing to check. Ford had painted under the grounding points... because they're smart like that.

The transmission software was updated on my wife's car and it fixed the issue. Has been about a month without it coming back.

The transmission software was updated on my wife's car and it fixed the issue. Has been about a month without it coming back.

Glad to hear that, mine got less than 10k km, and notice the same jerking when put into drive from reverse, strange thing is when my wife driving it she didnt experiance the problem.

Glad to hear that, mine got less than 10k km, and notice the same jerking when put into drive from reverse, strange thing is when my wife driving it she didnt experiance the problem.

It was an intermittent problem at first. After a few months it did it every time and much harsher.

Back