LinuxRacr's 2013 - 2014 New Build Thread

So last weekend I had to deal with yet another freeze plug behind the block. It fell in, but I was able to get it out after much toil. I HATE FREEZE PLUGS!!!

Here is the make-shift tool I used for the 30mm freeze plug: A lifter and a long 17mm socket:

Yesterday I pressure tested the coolant system and it is all good now. Finally finished putting the transmission back together and reinstalled it in the car. I had to put the transmission on my chest, and lift it up into place to align it so I could bolt it up. All motor mounts and transmission bolts are torqued down. I also was able to reconnect the oil return block to the MBSP, and bolt the turbo and manifold back to the head.

I was also able to reroute one of the coolant lines to the turbo to feed from below. A
productive day!

It could be one of several things:

1. Not installed properly
2. Bore hole was scratched, compromising the seal

The last few days I've been doing little things to get the car ready. I'm waiting on a new neutral switch, and a torque adapter to properly torque down my turbo manifold. The wheels are now back on as well. Almost there!

Today I finished wiring in the OEM MSP tweeters to my MP3, and finally put my interior back together:

I also did some harness and connector repairs to some broken wires:

The broken wires:

\

While trying to fix one Thursday evening, I got frustrated because my pin extractor kit wasn't working, so I obliterated the connector to find out why it wasn't working. Needless to say, it was so demolished, I had no clues:

Today after picking up a new reverse light switch and ordering a new neutral switch (both sensors had broken wires), I stopped into the service department of the Mazda dealership to see if the techs had any extra connectors they had cut out of cars that had been services. Lo and behold, the manager had a whole harness he had vultured! I was able to cut off a few connectors and save time and money! Thanks to Josh.

With those connectors I was able to repair broken wires:

One harness I felt it was better to remove the pin from the connector that had the broken wire. I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't release, so I took the extra harness I received from the dealership and cut it open to see how the pin was retained:

With this info I was able to successfully repair the wire:

Last edited:
This week was a big week, as I finally got my car started for the first time yesterday! More on that later....

One of the things I wanted to do right with this build is be able to torque down the manifold studs properly. In order to do this, I bought a torque adapter from Snap-On. It worked great for the most part, but I wish I would have gotten one with a curve on it to ensure clearance.

After my manifold was torqued down, I finished installing the inter-cooler piping, and then put in some new transmission fluid, courtesy of Sam at CrossOver.

I was even able to add more anti-chaffing measures to my stainless lines with wire loom and zip ties:

The only problem that still remains is the lack of a 3-inch mid pipe.

Without it, I can't drive my car, because there's no where for the wide-band O2 to go in. I still thought it would be a good idea to start my car to see what was what anyhow. I removed the fuel injector plugs, and turned the car over until the oil light went off on the dash. After that I reconnected the fuel injector plugs and starter her up. I could hear the turbo whining ever so slightly, and the car sounds like a racecar! After about 15-20 seconds of running, I turned it off to inspect for leaks.

When I looked under the car, this is what I found:

Yep, a massive oil leak! I was able to track it down quickly, and get it handled. It was the stainless turbo oil supply line not being fully tightened down to the oil supply block. You can see in the picture below the slight gap between the collar of the oil line and the fitting.

Now I have to figure out how to get my car to an exhaust shop so that I can get a mid-pipe made....

Last edited:
Not sure I want to risk driving it without knowing the air-fuel ratio is right. I have to have a place to plugin my wideband O2 so I can tune and have assurances that I'm not running too lean. I waited this long to get my car running, and I don't want to be down again due to impatience.

Ok, so I was finally able to get the temporary exhaust pipe made for the wideband to go in so I can get to the exhaust shop. Here's to hoping I make it there...

I used metal tie strap (and zip ties, but not in that order) to temporarily suspend the rear section of exhaust for the trip.

Here is what the car sounded like with the open pipe installed. Click for the video:

Last edited:
So I was finally able to go and get my mid-pipe made. In order to get it done, I had to do a base tune just to be able to drive it to the shop.

Next it is time for a wash!

Next is a wash and tuning. I also need new window tint, and also new auto-dimming rear-view mirror.

Nice work man. Good to see your car on the ground running. What auto dimming mirror did you go with?

Thursday evening on the way home, I noticed that my Haltech air intake temp read -41 F! I knew this couldn't be right, so after verifying that it was plugged in tight, I determined that the sensor had finally went bad. Luckily this is a common sensor used in quite a few GM vehicles, so it is fairly easy to get from somewhere like Autozone. After I replaced the sensor, I had correct readings again!

Last edited:
I was also able to do the first oil change done as well. Here is how my magnetic drain plug looked....

Today I got under the car for a checkup. I checked the turbo manifold bolts, checked for leaks, and checked the oil. No oil burned! I ended up repositioning some of the hose clamps for the Turbo Life intercooler for easier access, and noticed a little oil residue in one of the intake pipes on the cold side piping. This prompted me to check the hot-side and the turbo. No oil residue from the turbo at all. What this concludes me to believe is that the previous owner's turbo issues with oil leaking from the turbo left a little oil in the intercooler.

Back