LinuxRacr's 2013 - 2014 New Build Thread

The next hurtle to overcome is the fabbing of a suitable internal wastegate bracket. I'm going to have to fab up additional support due to only one bolt hole being able to be attached to the turbo currently. I also had to make the bolt holes bigger to accommodate the turbo bolts:

After work progress:

Last night I picked up parts from Sam at Crossover (Oil supply line, and turbo gaskets).

Got the oil line installed this morning before work, but noticed the little protective rubber boot to my starter wire is missing... hmmm....

This evening after work I test-fitted the wastegate bracket only to find that it would interfere with the turbo manifold, so I did a little cutting and smoothing of the edges with my Dremmel tool. Now I'm trying to decide if I should leave it be with one screw supporting the bracket, or try to get an extension welded to the bracket that connected to at least another bolt on the compressor:

I would be wary of doing the one bolt bracket. Even though it doesn't seem like much, that spring has quite a bit of pressure. It will definetly make it less accurate due to flexing. The bracket is moulded bent like that and if you take away mounting it negates the strength of the piece.

I used the T25 bracket with the one hole bolted and the other bolt on the turbo housing replaced with a longer one and add a large washer to sandwich the other part of the bracket that doesn't reach

I put the assembly together last night for test-fitting this morning:

This morning during test-fitting I ran into a little snag: The wastegate won't fit!

WastegateChallenge3_zpsa5cf5c6f.jpg

I am working on solutions, one of which I may already have in my possession.

Last edited:
Do you have this picture zoomed out? I think I understand. Your bracket is smaller, since it was for the stock MSP turbo, therefore you didn't have the clearance issues I did?

Last edited:
Problems solved this weekend...

This weekend I was able to traverse two big roadblocks in my build:

1. Fitment of the wastegate actuator:

I found a solution to the wastegate clearance problem. I rotated the coolant hose clamp up and also bent the tube up slightly.

2. Oil return Line:

The turbo is only slightly higher than the MSP oil return block. I had to use a 90 degree -10 AN adaptor to the steel-braided hose. I still need to put a clamp on the bottom of the hose, and an e-clamp on the wastegate actuator rod.

Tonight I started making preparations for the TurboLife FMIC. I moved the power steering cooling loop behind the vertical bracket. I also wrapped sections of the loop that I thought would rub with protection.

Here I'm test-fitting the hot pipe to see where the best place is to cut with my 3-inch hole saw:

The first cut for the hot-pipe route has been cut. I still have to smooth out the hole, and install a grommet.

Does anyone have any tips for doing the other side? I forsee challenges with the A/C/ dryer canister.....

You can slightly move it. Or you could get new piping made if you really wanted too. I have a similar route, but I deleted the A/C components. Also put some rubber around the hole so the pipe doesnt bang around when driving.

like CR3 said, the dryer gets moved over slightly in the original instructions for install. and the lines also get moved.

I've noticed that the dryer lines in my MP3 connect differently than in the MSP due to the dimensions of the MSP condenser. Here is what I'm referring to:

Was able to cut both holes, and moved the A/C dryer lines down as well:

I ended screwing it into the frame with a metal screw just blow the original location:

Oh, and the FMIC is now mounted!!!

Last edited:
Back