LinuxRacr's 2013 - 2014 New Build Thread

I guess the Molnar rods do look similar. Shane! How are you liking that 25PSI? What kind of power? The only thing I'm really concerned about now are my gears in my trans-axle.

Oh, and it looks like I forgot to provide updates:

Test-Fitting:

It's going to be a close fit:

This weekend, I got around to finally cleaning up the MSP MBSP I purchased. Amazing what some industrial-strength degreaser, an assortment of scrubbing brushes, a razor-blade scraping tool, and a dremmel can do. THAT PURPLE STUFF!!!!

Nice build up, Patrick! Can't wait for my brother to finally shut down his MSP so we can get to work on his motor. Seeing this gets me itching to get another car to play with too...

Hey buddy!(drinks)

Good to see you're still making progress on this. I finally got around to getting started on my build too. Put the pre-payment down on the new POPE downpipe and exhaust manifold. When those come in I'll be talking to Sam about a new turbo, rebuilt motor, new suspension and maybe having my old stock wheels fixed up. Hoping to have her all done and on the road by summer 2014.

Question on your turbo selection - why this one? Are you gonna try to go higher than your previous WHP, around 300 if I remember your previous posts, or will this one just get there more efficiently than the others rated for 400-450? I'm looking to end up somewhere around 300WHP, a bit more if I can... but not so much that the MSP ends up faster than the Z. Not real sure on which turbo to choose and am curious as to what lead you to this version.

Looks like the MAM Mid-pipe I received was 2.5 inches. I will have to get a mid-pipe fabbed probably. Anyone want the MAM Mid-pipe, let me know.

Patrick, I'll take this from you. I had planned on running the stock cat-back (to keep the noise down) and need something to replace my Apex Mid/J pipe combo. This with a GrimmSpeed 3-2.5" reducer should allow my new pope down pipe to connect with my stock cat-back. If this is right then I'll take it. text or pm me a price and we can meet up to exchange. I'm free most Sundays and can bring my daughter if you want to meet up on Saturdays

Here is the latest. Having to clean every part from the old block before installing on the new block is a definite time consumer.

Hey buddy!(drinks)

Good to see you're still making progress on this. I finally got around to getting started on my build too. Put the pre-payment down on the new POPE downpipe and exhaust manifold. When those come in I'll be talking to Sam about a new turbo, rebuilt motor, new suspension and maybe having my old stock wheels fixed up. Hoping to have her all done and on the road by summer 2014.

Question on your turbo selection - why this one? Are you gonna try to go higher than your previous WHP, around 300 if I remember your previous posts, or will this one just get there more efficiently than the others rated for 400-450? I'm looking to end up somewhere around 300WHP, a bit more if I can... but not so much that the MSP ends up faster than the Z. Not real sure on which turbo to choose and am curious as to what lead you to this version.

Man, I totally missed this post. Sam picked this turbo based on what I told him I wanted to see power-wise. I don't want to do anymore than 350 WHP, until my transaxle can take it, but this turbo can easily surpass this.

Updates:

Rear of engine coming together, first belt installed:

Engine is off of stand, and last freeze plug, rear main seal, and trans-axle metal gasket reinstalled.

Fidanza Flywheel, ACT Z66-XTSS clutch, and trans-axle bolted on. Ready for drop-in to the bay!

Oh, did I mention that I got a new FMIC??!!

Sidenote: Always make note of the location and orientation these brackets BEFORE you remove them so you know where they go when you reinstall. There are no references to them in the shop manual!

Yes, reusing my currently installed (since 2005) Haltech E6X (for now).

Last edited:
Looking for no less than 350-400 WHP, but will take it easy until I can get my trans-axle upgraded to take it.

Thanks man. I made some more progress yesterday and today:

Yesterday I bolted on the power steering pump, AC compressor, last of the belts, and the clutch line:

Today I needed to get my upper water neck installed. The only problem was that the hole drilled for the Haltech (really GM) coolant temp sensor wasn't big enough. No problem! Using a titanium nitride stepping drill bit I widened the hole, and then tapped it with a 3/8 NPT tap:

Oh, as a bonus today, I found out why my old motor had issues:

When I took the head off of my old motor, and the pistons out, I found out that part of the underside of my JE Piston in cylinder 4 was missing. There were no spun bearings as I originally though, but this explains the click-clack engine noises at RPM, and the big metal pieces I found in the oilpan.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back