2012 CX-9 GT, after 13k miles, here's my list of gripes!

IgoZoom

:
2012 Mazda CX-9 GT FWD, Crystal White Pearl, Bose/Moonroof
I feel the need to vent my frustrations with my 2012 CX-9 after 10 months and over 13k miles. Its somewhat amusing how minor and/or petty my grips are. But its a testament to just how GOOD the CX-9 is overall since I have no major issues with it.

#1- The silver trim on the side of the center console and on the doors scratches so easily and already has several noticeable blemishes in less than a year!

#2- I have WeatherTech FloorLiners covering the carpet in all three rows, but the carpet that shows beside the front and 2nd row seats sucks! It looks and feels as crappy as the black carpeting that came in my 2006 Mazda3 s 5-door. It traps dirt and hair (from my Golden Retriever) and its impossible to vacuum it all out. I didnt have the WeatherTech mats in my Mazda3 and when it was less than two years old, my right heel had worn a hole all the way through the carpeted floor mat AND through the actual carpet underneath all the way to metal floorpan! Granted, I was wearing hard-soled size-12 dress shoes, but that still shouldnt happen. It was also futile to attempt vacuuming because the dirt was embedded into the carpet fiber.

I replaced the carpet in my Mazda3 when it was 3-yrs old and it still looks great after almost five years. I also upgraded to WeatherTech mats which helped.

But they could have went for a slightly higher quality of carpet in the CX-9.

#3- Ive never understood the reasoning or alleged benefit of a gated shifter for the automatic transmission.and now I still dont understand and I officially think its stupid and a pain!

#4- Does anyone actually LIKE Piano Black (glossy) interior trim??? It stays smudged no matter how often you clean it and even when its clean, its still just glossy black.perhaps the aesthetic benefit is lost on me?

Yep, thats as bad as it gets..and I think I can live with all of them without too much stress for another 4-5 years!

CX-9 carpet

I totally agree with you on the quality of the carpet. I have a 2013 and its a pain to keep the mats clean. The carpet just pulls the dirt from your shoes. I will definitely invest in some all season mats.

I totally agree with you on the quality of the carpet. I have a 2013 and its a pain to keep the mats clean. The carpet just pulls the dirt from your shoes. I will definitely invest in some all season mats.

I strongly recommend skipping Mazda's All-Weather mats and getting them from WeatherTech-

I have the All-Weather CustomFit mats in the front of my CX-9 ($54.95)- LINK

And the one-piece DigitalFit FloorLiner for the 2nd and 3rd row- ($89.95)- LINK

I didn't get Preferred the softer, ribbed rubber of the mats for the front. But the FloorLiner for the 2nd and 3rd row has the cutouts for the 2nd row seat tracks and it has a lip edge to contain any spiills!

You like the Smart Key Card functions?

My 2012 has the remote fob instead of the key card-
3490204483_3210d7674d_o.jpg

I have given up on trying to master pressing the 'Request button' on the front door handles two times to unlock all doors! But I love just pressing it once to lock everything and once when I return to unlock the driver's door. If I need to open more than the driver's side door, I just use the remote fob 'unlock' button like I would with a conventional keyless entry system.

Opening the Power Liftgate is overly complicated and somewhat irritating using the remote also. First, you must be within range to press the UNLOCK button twice to unlock all doors includling the liftgate. Then you press and HOLD the Liftgate button until it starts to open. Usually, it's just starting to open by the time I reach the vehicle and I look like a tool standing there waiting for it!

It would be much more logical and simple to simply PRESS and HOLD the 'Open Liftgate' button for 1-2 seconds and the door automatically unlock based on that. But I still love being able to open the liftgate from the dash mounted button and the CLOSE button mounted on the actual liftgate right abover your head is ingenous!

I LOVE the keyless electronic ignition, especially the way it's impledmented in the CX-9. Some reviews have criticized that it's outdated because the vast majority of cars now use a big round START/STOP button mounted on the center control stack. But the plastic knob that turns just like a conventional key is far more intuitive and doesn't waste any space in the center stack with a silly push-button. The CX-9 and the 2005 Acura RL are the only vehicles I've ever seen use a knob instead of a push-button.

Mazda's smart key processes leave alot to be desired. I don't have the power liftgate, but my wifes Chevy Equinox does. A short press-hold on the button and the liftgate opens, whether the Nox is locked or not. I know it can be opened from distance as I have run under the opened gate while it is raining out.

Nothing more frustrating than walking up to the drivers side rear door, arms full, only to find it locked. While parked in the garage with only the drivers door unlocked you need to press the drivers door button three times to unlock the left rear door. Foolish.

They have to cut costs somewhere, unfortunately. Although I wish they had put the mute button on the steering wheel instead of the utterly useless bluetooth phone buttons.

I totally agree- the lack of a MUTE button was the first thing I noticed on my 2012 CX-9! The fact that there's an empty 'blank' spot where another button could be placed makes it all the more annoying! The MODE button should be in the blank spot on the right spoke with the cruise controls and the MUTE should be on the left spoke where the MODE button currently is!

But I don't agree with you on the Bluetooth phone buttons being useless. I use the 'receive/pick up' and 'hand up/reject call' buttons all day long!

I agree with rear carpets, pretty sad. My other gripes are

- the many electric gremlins I've experienced. Nothing major they always seem to go away but very annoying
- back up camera blows!
- unlock button on door is tricky
- no memory seat button (I have a touring model)
- you have get GT model for home link rear view mirror...really?
- gas mileage sucks (but I do get its a heavy vehicle)
- sun glass holder always needs a few tries to close
- flutter noise it makes with windows down (other cars make it to though)
- dealerships (shady and not the nicest places to wait during service)

Things I like

- I like black piano trim
- excellent in snow!
- drives better than other ones I've driven
- comfortable seats

Overall happy with car and I get that Mazda had to make cuts with things to keep price down. I bought thus because I use for utility and couldn't see paying more for something that's going to get beat up. I still think these are excellent bang for buck but really wish dealerships get give yes better waiting areas!

I agree with rear carpets, pretty sad. My other gripes are

- the many electric gremlins I've experienced. Nothing major they always seem to go away but very annoying
- back up camera blows!
- unlock button on door is tricky
- no memory seat button (I have a touring model)
- you have get GT model for home link rear view mirror...really?
- gas mileage sucks (but I do get its a heavy vehicle)
- sun glass holder always needs a few tries to close
- flutter noise it makes with windows down (other cars make it to though)
- dealerships (shady and not the nicest places to wait during service)

I still think these are excellent bang for buck but really wish dealerships get give yes better waiting areas!

Electronic gremlins? Care to elaborate a bit? I haven't had any electronic issues (yet) but I'd be interested to hear what sort of issues you've had just so I can keep an eye out for them! I only have 17k of Basic Warranty left, so anything non-Powertrain that is going to break needs to do it before then!!!

Backup Camera- It blows and SUCKS! I have the 4.3" display that comes with the Bose audio system and the camera display is totally useless! I forget that it's even there. Backup sensors on the rear bumper (which were added for 2013) would be much more useful.

Unlock button on door- if you're talking about the black "request" button on the driver's door handle, I totally agree. After 13 months and 19k miles, I still can't manage to open all the doors by pressing it twice...it just doesn't work for me! I usually just press it once and, if I need any of the other doors or the liftgate unlocked, I just open the driver's door and unlock them using the power lock/unlock button inside or I use the remote fob and press Unlock twice.

No Memory Seat- It's not uncommon for Driver's Seat Memory to only be offered on a model's top trim level (Grand Touring), but it is a very handy feature if you have more than one person who drives the vehicle on any sort of regular basis. I really wish that side mirrors and steering wheel position were also saved along with the driver seat settings. But that would require the tilt/telescope functions for the steering wheel to be power...but it would be awesome nonetheless!

Homelink only on GT- if it makes you feel any better, my Homelink is a major pain in the @ss and has to pressed and HELD for 1-2 seconds, often more than once, to actually work. I'm usually all the way down my driveway and waiting outside the garage for it to finish opening for about 10 seconds because the Homelink is such a pain. If I use the garage door opener, it's open well before I get to it. Several months ago, I decided to throw in the towel and just put my garage door opener on the visor like I've always had it on my previous vehicles.....but the CX-9 visors are way too thick for the clip to fit, so it's in the center console instead. =)

Gas Mileage- Based on your snow reference, am I correct in assuming that you have AWD? My GT is FWD and I average between 17.5-18.5mpg overall in a mix of about 50% interstate and 50% semi-rural highways & curvy mountain backroads. I tend to have a pretty heavy foot most of the time also. I recently drove from Atlanta to Nashville and back (almost 500 miles exactly) and had the cruise set on 78-80mph most of the way. I was surprised that I managed 20.4mpg for that trip. AWD models are rated at 1mpg lower city and 2mpg lower highway (if I'm not mistaken) but in reality, most AWD owners seem to average 3-4mpg less overall in real world driving.

Sunglass holder- I don't use it.

Flutter noise- I rarely drive with the windows down.

Dealers- I've been a Mazda owner since December 2005 (when I bought my '06 Mazda3 5-door) and one of the first things I realized was that Mazda's weakest link was their dealer network! They don't have enough dealers in many mid-sized cities and many of the ones that exist are poorly located. And don't even get me started on dealership staff and management at most of the ones I've visited....

Have just over 35K on my Gt 2012.
If I want to open all the doors at once I just go over to the Passenger Door and hit the button and all the doors are unlocked, go figure it is passenger door and not main door....
The button on the tailgate works intermittently and when it does makes things nice to open the tailgate.
Rarely pull key fob out of my pocket and use it......
Just changed the battery in my fob the other day because it was getting worse and worse to open the doors with the buttons.
The one nice feature with the Key fob is the opening of the windows and sunroof during summer weather, while I was at home working I would use that feature alot durng the summer....
John

Electronic gremlins? Care to elaborate a bit? I haven't had any electronic issues (yet) but I'd be interested to hear what sort of issues you've had just so I can keep an eye out for them! I only have 17k of Basic Warranty left, so anything non-Powertrain that is going to break needs to do it before then!!! ....

I have 20k on the car now, since day one have a reoccurring problem with windows and tailgate not closing right. Click windows to close automatically, go up then hit top and come back down some. Will do this until reset/reprogram them. Tailgate has a mind of its own, closes perfect most times but every now and then will not close completely using the button I need to manually close it.

iPhone 5 can only be synched using voice commands that's all I can think of now

I like the manual ignition cover vs. push start. With a push start button, there is no way to "cancel" the start request that I know of.
There are some gripes I have with the push button system: If your battery is about dead, it will keep running your starter until "click" and the battery dies and you lose all your seat memory, radio stations, etc. Another - if something is wrong with the engine for some reason, again, your starter keeps turning the motor over and you can't stop it. ( i think). Unless there is a way to "cancel" it.

Someone also griped on here about having to have a GT to get the homelink mirror?
I have a GT and my car did not come with a homelink mirror. I had to buy one and install it per Mazda's instructions.
I also inspected a 2010 CX-9 Touring that had a homelink / auto dim mirror.

Not sure about 2013 though.

I've only had my 2012 for about two weeks and I'm already irritated by the

a) key fob/lift gate non-feature, LOL. My last car (that we traded in for this to lower payments) opened with one simple button press and it was awesome,
b) stupid gear shift design (I am constantly putting it in Neutral instead of Reverse--I feel like an idiot having to look at the shifter each and every time I shift).

Thankfully neither of those are deal breakers and I do enjoy my car.

Now I'm off to find another thread to answer my other questions!

I put McNeil Weather Tech mats all round in our '09 Prius when we got it new, and in our '10 CX-9 when we got it. I had occasion to have both front sets out this week to clean them, and noticed how really beat up they are looking, especially in the Prius, which gets a different type of heel pushed into it. I wondered what the carpet would have looked like without them. The CX came with a beautiful set of mats with CX-9 emblazoned on them, in bright white, and I hated not to to use them, but they are stored for the day when I need to spiffy it up for a trade in.

As to the shift gate, I love it, because I use the manual side constantly. It did take a few weeks for me to get used to it (I came from an Expedition) but it really is a blast to use if you'll take the time. On the drive side, it just is what it is. I never even gave a thought to the gated pattern.

Last week, after 4 and a half years, and 51,000+ miles, I spent my first real money on maintenance. Two new front rotors, and ceramic pads all around. and the last remaining tire that came on the vehicle. (I did replace the battery this summer) It had only been aligned once before and only the right front wheel was out of spec, and then, only the toe. Amazingly, the steering head was slightly off, and I had never noticed that! Mazda won't like this, but I took it to Firestone because all their parts are lifetime guarantee - and I got the lifetime alignment, and rotation/balance.

I was a little surprised to have to do brake work that early, however, I do drive harder than the average old bird. I could have saved the rotors, but when they started pulsing, there was simply no way I could get the vehicle in the shop. Honestly it was nearly 3 months before things settled down to allow that. (90 y/o mother in law was in critical condition all summer - and both cars kept the road hot)

Enough of a novel here - bottom line is that my '10 has needed considerably less than $2000.00 in total maintenance. Brakes, 4 tires, and a battery. (less oil & filters) 0h, yeah, and my good old ignition key has always worked great. Welcome to the new owners - go drive the soup out of it - that what it likes. Finally to Hudson: you need to move that CX to Texas, where you can drive it!

Last edited:
I've only had my 2012 for about two weeks and I'm already irritated by the

a) key fob/lift gate non-feature, LOL. My last car (that we traded in for this to lower payments) opened with one simple button press and it was awesome,
b) stupid gear shift design (I am constantly putting it in Neutral instead of Reverse--I feel like an idiot having to look at the shifter each and every time I shift).

Thankfully neither of those are deal breakers and I do enjoy my car.

Now I'm off to find another thread to answer my other questions!

I guess lower payments = lower features! LOL!

Back