CX-5 RPM goes up and down when slowing down....why?

nagasima

when the cx-5 is slowing down, the rpm would go promptly from 1000 to 1500 when at 40km/h, then quickly goes back to 1000, the in around 20km/h, it would go from 1000 to 1300 again.... i believe that is because its shifting..

i have driven corrola and civic, never had this situation.
when not hitting the gas, the car slows down smoothly instead of rpm goes up and down.
i do not feel comfortable about cx-5's rpm when slowing down, it makes me need to adjust the brake when stopping at the traffic light and also the caar is not slowing down smooth enough.

do you feel this? anything i can do about this?

(sorry for bad expression and grammar, not a native english speaker)

It is just the way the transmission is programmed.
All cars with automatics do it, you just can't feel it, because it is hidden and covered up by a much smooshier transmission feel.

BC.

It's call rev-matched downshifting for engine braking... It's a good thing. Start liking it.

I assume you have an automatic transmission.
It shifts to lower gears to help you stop. My former ride did this only going downhill and was less noticeable. The CX-5 does it even on flat surface and even if breaking is modest. I got used to it and can stop in a smooth predictable manner very easily. It is great for emergency breaking where your breaking power is significantly increased.

It is weird at first, but the transmission feels unlike what you are used to and more like how a manual gearbox would be driven. Not sure if you have ever driven stick, bthais drives kinda like how you would.

Agreed with Nick3434. Strange at first, but you get used to it. I think it is pretty smooth when it does it. The car just doesn't coast like other cars do when you let off the throttle.

The transmission is rev-match downshifting as the vehicle speeds decrease. Usually standard automatics unlock the torque converter which form a buffer between the wheels and the engine, which allows for smoother deceleration, but a "smooshier" feel and causing lag in the transmission when you press on the accelerator again. However, by downshifting and keeping the torque converter locked up (like keeping the clutched engaged in a manual), the transmission will always be in the right gear and there is very little to no lag between the time you press on the accelerator and when the wheels get power.

All this is intentional by Mazda because the goal of the transmission was to combine the direct feel of a manual transmission/dual clutch transmission with the smoothness, convenience, and fuel efficiency of a standard automatic/cvt transmission.

Good information found here:
Watch video for transmissions
http://mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/skyactiv.action

http://www.mazda.com/mazdaspirit/skyactiv/transmission/skyactiv-drive.html

It's normal for this Skyactiv auto tranny and relatively subtle.

Yes, the manual provides a limited amount of information on this topic, here's what's in 2013 manual:

NOTE

When driving at high speeds, the gear may
not shift down.

During deceleration, the gear may
automatically shift down depending on
vehicle speed.

My 2014 CX-5 has this same thing happening. When approaching a red light, the brake feels like I have to press it in two steps to stop smoothly. It's really bad especially in 5-15 mph traffic. My Elantra 2007 automatic didn't have this, and before that I drove a Elantra 2000 stick so I was suspecting it was the engine brake kicking in. At least it's good to confirm that it is indeed a normal behavior. I guess this is not really that good for people that drive slow and don't suddenly accelerate after a stop.

At least it's good to confirm that it is indeed a normal behavior. I guess this is not really that good for people that drive slow and don't suddenly accelerate after a stop.

I wouldn't say that - I like it's downshift behavior. I'm getting excellent MPG, am in the right gear when it's time to ease back on the throttle and my brake pads won't need replacing for many more services.

Back