*** Everyone with steering clunk - read this ***

drop360

:
2011 2 SPORT, manual
My car just failed state safety inspection due to the steering clunk. The clunk is caused by part of the electric power steering that is broken and falling apart. It's going to cost me $1300 to fix. It would be covered by warranty (36000 mile) but my car is way past that. The Mazda service department claimed no knowledge of the issue and no recall or bulletin about it.

If you're having the steering clunk, get it diagnosed sooner than later!

-Matt

Thank you for posting this. I'm debating bringing my car in now out here in Utah, or waiting until I get back home to Alabama. At least I've got a good amount of time on my warranty.

I think I am lucky then, there are several Mazda 2 in the wrecking yards locally.

-Derrick

I posted in the other thread but the dealership there was a TSB for it and the fix was new grease.

Alldata shows 0600212

Ok I got 2 Mazda2 to bring in at the dealer this week.

My wife 2 will be easy to get warranty work, but mine with the lowered springs...I don't know

Getting past the springs thing should be easy. There are numerous 2's that have had the issue with out suspension work.

You can always show them the Mazda 2 brochures where the car pictured in it is lowered......

Or find a mod friendly dealer who doesn't care :)

-Derrick

You can always show them the Mazda 2 brochures where the car pictured in it is lowered......

Or find a mod friendly dealer who doesn't care :)

-Derrick

Hey Derrick, I like getting technical. Any insight to what is really the issue?

I figure you have had one apart enough to see what it could be. I'm having a hard time believing grease is a long term fix.

Mazda2_front_suspension.jpg

2D45L31.jpg

I was given the second diagram. The service guy told me the part that is broken is the cylindrical part (with 4 small circles on its face and the box next to it). Not sure what it's called. He said it was part of that large assembly and the entire thing needs to be replaced.

I called a different dealer and asked them about it. The service manager hadn't seen any issue like what I was reporting, but admitted to not dealing with many 2's. He looked up the 0600212 TSB number and mentioned it said something about "gears". So, I don't know if some internal gears are breaking in that part or what it is.

Can you tell I don't have much auto mechanic knowledge?! :)

Is the part something that can be seen from underneath the car, or do things have to be taken apart first? It would be nice if we could know what to look for.

It's under the dash, behind the steering wheel. It can be seen if you look up past the pedals under the dash. Just follow the shaft from the floor up.

I failed the safety portion of my state inspection because of the issue. So, I would assume a total failure would be bad. As the second service guy said, "broken and steering are not a good combo!"

Is there any more information for that this Clunk is? like when does it happen? What are you doing when it happens. I don't hear anything in my car, but I would like to know that you have been noticing just so I can look out for it.

Yep and mine started at 5K and I finally took it in at 10K.

I would call it a slight bind/release of the steering wheel that you can feel driving around a parking lot including reverse. Most noticeable when using the clutch.

Lol the more it's described the less it relates to my issue. Mine just sounds like a clunk coming from the steering column but beyond the foot pedals. And mine most noticeably happens when making a slight turn, and then hitting a bump while turning.

Back