Joint shaft support bearing??

Hon2bmw

:
2003 Pure White Protege5, 1999 540iT Panzer Wagon
SO, I have two, and only two remaining issues with my P5

1.) rattle under light acceleration after driving for a considerable distance

2.) speed dependent squeak from passenger side also after a considerable distance

The rattle occurs at partial throttle, in 1st-3rd gear, and as I accelerate it goes away until the transmission shifts, then comes back once it has engaged again. At first I thought it was pinging/pre-ignition so I pulled the plugs, they look healthy, no deposits of any kind. Checked the timing with my timing light and it seems spot on. Regardless, replaced with BKRE-11's, new wires and I have been running 91 (best I can get in good ole'AZ) rattle is still present, and gets louder the longer I drive the car.

On to the squeaking. When I got home today I put the car up Jack stands and put it into drive to see if I could recreate the squeak, nothing.

Then, I rev'd the motor up to get the wheels spinning faster and it quickly appeared, I let off the gas and as the wheels slowed down it got more prevalent, then as I let the car idle it slowly faded away. I had my neighbor rev the motor with the transmission in D and got under the car with a can of WD-40, I sprayed the area were the joint shaft meets the C/V axle and the sound immediately dissappeard. I put the car back on the ground and have been driving it around and the sound has not come back. this leads me to believe the squeak is the bearing that supports the joint shaft/CV axle connection.

The rattle however seems to have not changed/gotten worse

My question is, would a bad bearing make the rattling sound I'm hearing as torque is applied/removed from to it under load? Especially as it starts to heat up?

Cliff's notes:

Would a bad bearing on the passenger side drive axle cause a rattle under load/acceleration?

Last edited:
Yes a bad carrier bearing can cause the CV joints to clunk. Sounds like you diagnosed it yourself, good job!

Yes a bad carrier bearing can cause the CV joints to clunk. Sounds like you diagnosed it yourself, good job!

Thanks!

Guessing the end of the C/V axle should not move or sound like this when I grab it and shake it?

Last edited:
The more I look at the construction of the joint, and the way the CV axle is moving around, I'm starting to think it might not be the bearing. I will try replacing the CV axle first (since I already have the parts).

The more I look at the construction of the joint, and the way the CV axle is moving around, I'm starting to think it might not be the bearing. I will try replacing the CV axle first (since I already have the parts).

Sorry to bump an old thread, but did you ever fix your squeaking? I'm having the same problem right now.

Back