How do you remove AC clutch from compressor?

v02maxed

:
Mazda P5
My 2002 P5 AC was getting louder- clicking and chirping while idleing -with the AC off so I had it on my radar. Then the wife came home from a longer drive with the AC on it was grinding pretty good. I disconnected the belt and could feel a tiny amount of play on the pulley but actually not what I was expecting. I removed the compressor and there is some grinding when I the spin the pulley but only in a few spots every couple of rotations. I'm wondering how to remove the pulley/clutch because I can see you can buy bearings for this and I think a rebuild kit for P5s. Has anyone removed the clutch and can you tell me do you need a special tool or puller? It only has the one 10mm bolt in the center.

Thanks

i actually posted something bout this let me see if i can find it

here it is

It is very easy to replace the clutch I replaced mine in 15 minutes and I did not even break a sweat. and as far as finding them U pull it junkyard protege confirmed 01-03 2.0 and 99 and up 1.8 the clutches are the same. You can replace them without even losing your freon how great is that?
Its simple
With belt connected have a friend hold the compressor pulley for xtra hold and loosen the 10mm bolt in the middle of clutch but do not remove it.Then remove the belt after belt is off remove 10 mm bolt to remove the pulley and expose the clutch and 3 Phillips screws loosen those screws and the clutch is loose only being held by the black wire (here is the hard part) cut the black wire as close to the clutch as possible and on the junk yard compressor clutch cut it a little higher than the clutch that way u have wire u can strip.. DO NOT try and remove the wire from top of compressor cuz u will break the lil plastic and metal contact things and need a new compressor that is why u cut it where i say to cut it.Strip both wires add a piece of heat shrink connect wires melt heat shrink install clutch install 3 Phillips screws install pulley install 10mm bolt and tighten best u can. Install belt and tighten clutch bolt to spec and finally enjoy ur ac again worst case it takes 30 min with no freon loss

Last edited:
I removed the 10mm bolt but can't get the pulley off, even hitting it with a hammer from the back. What I've read is it shoudl just come off, is it pressed on? I hit it pretty good from the back, also tried some pry bars from the back. I came here when those didn't work thinking it might be pressed or needs a puller. You are saying it should slide off?
Thanks

Back