Car revs high

Turbocookie

:
1997 Mazda 323 Protege 1.6L
I recently bought a 1997 mazda 323 protege 1.6l and it is my first car, it seems as if it revs really high and im not sure why, in 5th gear at 100km/h it sits at around 4000rpm. Also have a recently problem car overheated and whenever i fill up coolant it lasts no more than 30 minutes driving before empty, cant visually see the leak, no dripping but can see a small puddle inside engine just to the passenger side of the engine.

Did you notice the high revs when you took the car for a test drive before buying it? What size are the tires? Does it idle okay? To check for coolant leaks, buy or borrow a coolant leak tester. It allows you to attach a coupling to the radiator neck and then pressurize the coolant system to the pressure indicated on the filler cap. You can then watch for leaks.

Yeah has always reved high, not too sure, fairly small just the common small car types im guessing 16"? found out it is a metal pip that connects from the engine onto rubber tubing, not sure what its called or how im going to be able to get to it as the bolt on the engine side of it is not visible but i can feel it. only leaks once the car is hot, any idea what its called? and also would a general auto shop have the part? cheers for the help!

You might want to pick up an inexpensive service manual, like this:

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1191989,parttype,10335

You can try Rockauto for the part. If they don't have it, as your nearest dealership. Chances are that if you can feel the bolt, you can remove it with the right tools.
Also, the dealership should be able to show you the part on their parts computer. Sometimes, the parts person will even print out the assembly sheet for you.

Back