Can't get comfortable!!

Ive had my CX-5 GS (sport) since the first weekend in July, and since that time I've adjusted my seat in some way just about every time I drive the vehicle and it seems I cannot find a comfortable position! This may end up being a deal breaker for me in an otherwise very nice vehicle. Anyone else finding this same problem, or am I just being too picky?

I absolutely agree with you. It's impossible to find a comfortable position in this car. Mine is a Sport model as well.

I may be imagining this, but it seems the height adjust-ability sags back down a few days after raising...

This thread just reminds me of how spoiled to comfort we are! And to think our ancestors rode horses or wagons everywhere. I wonder if they complained about those?

CX-5 seats are fine, but there a much more better ones. I found even the Escapes seats to be better. Nothing a little cushion or maybe a good upholster or if you can find an auto trimmer, can't fix.

Last edited:
This thread just reminds me of how spoiled to comfort we are! And to think our ancestors rode horses or wagons everywhere. I wonder if they complained about those?

like many other complaint threads, its ok to complain about things, but its all relative...

I read a lot of tomtom gps complaints and even if I tend to agree with most of the points, its still better than a map right?

cars and technology today have us spoiled, and its easy to forget how lucky we are to be able to complain about all those things that didnt exist 10 years ago.

here is a similar thread about the ford escape:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/nati...sel-awd-2-0l-ecoboost-ride-report-review.html
... I'm sure a lot of other vehicles will have the same kind of thread.. just goes to show how easy it is to complain now... about anything

personally, I am new to leather seats, and they are a bit slippery (i used to have a 2008.5 speed3). For now, i am still adapting to these new seats, but my initial feeling is that they are also a bit firm. hopefully this will get better with time.

my guess is it will take a while considering the time i spend in them ( about an hour a day). they remind me of my leather sofas... they took more than a year to get softer and for the leather to stretch out.

Last edited:
I find the CX-5 seats some of the best. A little better than my Volvo S-80 and far better than my 2010 F-150.

I was looking at the Subaru Forester forum a few days ago and they had a poll of about 110 people on seat comfort. IIRC roughly 55% said they thought the seats were fine, and the rest was evenly divided between "good for 3 hours, good for 1 hour, and not good for any length of time".

cheers,
Michael

I am a big guy and I test drove the 2013 model before I purchased another car. Mainly because of the lack of power. The seats were fine even when I was over 400 pounds but felt a little flimsy. Now that I have lost almost 100 pounds I find the 2014 CX5 seats excellent. True be it that I need to push my seat up here and there but that room is available. I only wish I could get my arm on the window sill and be comfier. I must admit that the cabine has so much more space than my Satan Fe had. And it is true that everyone has something to say, now that I have driven the car for three days I find it more and more zoom zoom and appreciate the purchase.

I have a Touring model with cloth seats and only 6 way adjustment instead of 8. I find the seats really comfortable for long trips (5+hrs) and that’s coming from a person that has back problems.

I think it depends a lot on individual shape...for me the cloth seats really pinched my shoulders and seemed to push my head too far forward. The second part might be my imagination but a big part of my reason for going with the GT was the touring seat's lack of comfort. In hindsight I'm extra glad I did as I like all the other goodies too and the 19s aren't harsh as I feared- I almost wonder if Mazda didn't tweak the GT's suspension just a bit- it seems to ride a bit softer than touring models from my recollection. I don't like the added cost and lack of choice but the 19" OE Toyos (main reason for not going GT back then) are actually quite good.

GT seats aren't great either but better- I wish I could take my 1er's sport seats with me everywhere- very close to perfection...

Last edited:
I absolutely agree with you. It's impossible to find a comfortable position in this car. Mine is a Sport model as well.

I may be imagining this, but it seems the height adjust-ability sags back down a few days after raising...

There's a recent TSB about this.

I find the seats in my touring just OK. The side bolsters are to high to suit me but, I'll get use to that hopefully. The bottom of the seat could be about 1-2 inches longer to give more thigh support IMO. The seats in my CX7 touring were better. ALL in all, there is nothing so bad that I can't get used to it and I love driving the car, er COV.

I find the front seats comfortable even for long drives. The back seats could be much better. The middle position in the back is not comfortable at all.
However, I think driver ergonomics could be much better with respect to both armrests and distances to the steering wheel.

Seats are a problem for me too, and I don't ever have problems with seat comfort in other cars. Mazda somehow made seats that make it feel like I'm sitting on top of them instead of in them.

I find the seats in my touring just OK. The side bolsters are to high to suit me but, I'll get use to that hopefully. The bottom of the seat could be about 1-2 inches longer to give more thigh support IMO. The seats in my CX7 touring were better. ALL in all, there is nothing so bad that I can't get used to it and I love driving the car, er CUV.

I like the seats, though only just bought the car today.

I wish the passenger seat was electric as well, for my wife.

There are many times I wish I had an electric chair for my wife!(chair)

Thus far I find the seats comfortable and supportive, just wish there was some adjustment in the head restraint

I think all responses from owners with trim levels above the Sport could be excluded. The problem with the Sport model isn't the cushion per se, but the overall lack of adjustability the seat provides. Add in an MT and the level of the front edge makes a large difference in comfort.

I agree with the OP that the Sport trim seats are difficult to get truly comfy in, that said I did OK on a trip to the Grand Canyon back in May, but I do recall feeling the stress of the seating position after hours at the wheel though it was not unmanageable.

Last edited:
Lcann25, I'm experiencing the same exact thing. The seats are simply not all that comfortable. There is a lack of width, cushion, and lower and mid back support. Also the headrests protrude forward too far. To add to the discomfort, the armrests are too low, as ALafya mentioned. I commute with my CX-5 daily, and I'm at a loss at what to do as well. I otherwise love the thing. It drives soooo well, gets excellent fuel economy, and just plain FUNCTIONS well. But the thing is, at the end of the day, so to speak (sometimes literally), I'm not enjoying SITTING in the car. This is my first new car ever, and am a bit at a loss on what to do.

As a side note, I've found the Bose speakers to be a bit neutral, or flat. I would look at this as a minor let down or curiosity if it weren't for the uncomfortable seats. In short, you're not alone.

Back