Can't get comfortable!!

lcann25

:
2014 CX-5
Ive had my CX-5 GS (sport) since the first weekend in July, and since that time I've adjusted my seat in some way just about every time I drive the vehicle and it seems I cannot find a comfortable position! This may end up being a deal breaker for me in an otherwise very nice vehicle. Anyone else finding this same problem, or am I just being too picky?

When I had my sport I put a folded towel just over the cushion part of the seat (not over the side bolsters) and that helped a lot until the seat broke in. What part of the seat bothers you?

You won't find much sympathy here for your plight Icann25. I posted more or less the same observation here http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123832673-Anyone-else-notice and got very little agreement. I've finally found a seat/steering column arrangement that works reasonably well for me, although it results in my having to duck under the top of the wheel to see the top of the speedo and tach guages. I'm not happy about that, but I can live with it.

Yep, I'm 5'6" and my arrangement is kind of like that as well, steering wheel down and out towards me as far as it can go, seat about half way up and it cuts off the top of the gauges. I can live with that, but I find the seat back very hard and unforgiving... Much like sitting on a park bench. Maybe it will get softer once it breaks in... I hope..

Anyone else finding this same problem, or am I just being too picky?

Sorry to hear this.
For me, it is overall comfortable. I wish I could put my left elbow on the handrest while holding the wheel with the same hand (I can reach it, but just barely) and, similarly, with my right elbow on the center console. I could do that with with my former ride and my wife's car. Also, the steering wheel is a sporty 3-spoke, only that you can't hold it at the bottom center. Probably not a big deal, only that I am used to holding it with one hand like that and holding it asymmetrically feels strange and using two hands is one more than I want on long straight drives.

That said, I like the side bolstering and the seat is comfortable to me in long rides. Also, steering overall is great with great feedback.

I was test driving a CX-5 GT a few weeks ago and I couldn't get comfortable with the bottom cushion and it felt to flat to me; I'm spoiled I guess with Volvo seats being uber comfy. Though I test drove the new 6 GT right after and loved that seat, fit like a glove!

I'm spoiled I guess with Volvo seats being uber comfy.

No one seat is the best for everyone because our bodies and preferences are all different.

The seats on my top of the line Volvo sedan were the most comfortable seats I had ever experienced but, now, the CX-5 seats have them beat.

I can go all day in the CX-5 without any soreness or discomfort starting to appear which wasn't quite true with the Volvo.

No one seat is the best for everyone because our bodies and preferences are all different.

yep, and I find that cars with multi-way seat adjustments are always just almost right. I think it is just because I know I can keep adjusting it whereas the fixed seats are where they are so there's no reason to think about it.

I've got mine pretty well set now and just tilt the back a bit forward or back every so often. Now if I'm going to be killing time waiting in the car I jump over to the passenger side and slide and tilt that seat back rather than mess up my settings on the drivers side :)

I agree that at first I had a hard time getting comfy. Had the car for a year now and now it's not a problem at all. I think for me the issue is that the CX-5 seat, seating position and many ways to adjust the seat are not what I was used to with my previous car. I'd say to keep playing with it and it'll get better.

I'm a bit in the same boat. I find that the side bolsters are much too stiff, and dig into my leg and cut off circulation. Had the car a couple of weeks, they seem to be getting a bit broken in, but I'm debating trying to find something to 'fill in' the space between the bolsters, hoping that it won't do that.

After about 20 to 25 minutes, this starts to happen. Of course my test drive was about 20 minutes, so I didn't really notice it.

But I don't think you are alone, I definitely don't find the seats to be very comfortable for me personally either so far. But I don't really blame the seats, but just my body size and shape in relation. For some they might love them.

I actually love the cx-5 seats from day 1. I like stiff seats. The seats also look great. My other car is an Infiniti G35 and although the seats are comfy, it's soft compare to cx-5. I had a road trip a couple months ago and probably had a good 10 hour seat time and it was great. The lumber support is awesome.

Seats are terrible. No solution yet. Had the car for over a year. There is no magic adjustment.

I think they may have gotten worse over time, so no "break-in" period. No kidding, I might get rid of a great vehicle because I can't sit for 30 minutes without being in pain. I need to drive cross country at the end of the month and I am dreading the trip because of the seat.

Recently drove a cheap rental car on a business trip for 2 weeks. Absolutely no problems. Would take those seats over the CX-5 in a minute.

Seats are crap to be honest. I sat in a cx5 at launch day in Switzerland and noticed the side bolster for the thigh had ripped away from the chair.

I find them comfortable enough, just, but drive at all sporty and there is no support for your upper body at all. It's actually embarrassing driving my friends around, I take it easy but they still have one hand on the door handle to steady themselves. Mazda went this way, total cost saving, there are many parts of the cabin like this, roof, carpets, seats, armrest etc. I can live with it.

I find the seats comfortable, but as yet not been on a trip longer than 1.5 hours.

The real test will be a 2 hour trip, I had a audi that gave severe back ache after 2 hours, so that's my bench mark at present.

Not sure about the dash top, it appears to collect dust very easy, as does the Nav screen surround.

I have a Sport on 19" wheels, I have noticed more tyre noise than my previous xtrail, but not excessive.

with this car only the little screen and all that works with it disappoints, no live services at present.

Oh and the speedo is way more optimistic than the Nissan that was within 2/3 mph, the Cx-5 is nearer 4mph, that's assuming the TT speed read out is true.

I went around all the setting so many time the last 1 1/2 year.
Every time my gf use my ride i need 2,3 day's to get comfortable again.
I am only 5,7" wich probably doesn't help either but in my previous Speed3, i never had this kind of problem.

I find the seats comfortable. Far better than the Chrysler 300 I traded in for the CX-5. Though the absolute best seats I've sat in have been the SRT-8 seats for the 300, Magnum, Charger. I would of kept the Chrysler if I had those seats in it, but I didn't want to spend the $1000+ for a pair of used SRT seats.

I would have paid for the SRT seats. I paid $450 for a full GTi plaid interior and installed it in my Rabbit. Went GTi steering wheel too. I think seats, steering wheels and tires are very important to long term driving happiness.

^ Agreed. The factory leather steering wheel is perfect, especially the thumb area. Perfect amount of cushion, not too much to disturb steering wheel, ideal size, and good button ergonomics. The leather is of superior quality to the seats as well. It has always been an area where Mazda thought (at least) twice about, down to the thickness.

The seats, though not terrible for my size and preference, they could be better in practically every aspect. From material to ergonomics. The 2014 Mazda6 and Mazda3's seats definitely got more R&D than the CX-5's.

I like the seats, though only just bought the car today.

I wish the passenger seat was electric as well, for my wife.

I agree that the "new" Mazda seats are terrible. I had a 2006 5 which I loved, so bought another one (2012) this past February. The seats are horrible and I'm desperate for a solution. No kidding, this seat has just about destroyed my already sketchy back. I had to get a lumbar injection in May and now that it has worn off I'm very close to selling the car. I went into the seat back and added a homemade insert to increase the lumbar support, but in my opinion the real problem is the hard and non-compliant seat bottom combined with the firm suspension. I can feel each bump pounding my spine. For contrast, and as others have said here, when I get into my wife's Edge or rental cars with nice seats I can feel an immediate difference. In fact, my wife and I traded cars for a few days and she can't stand the Mazda seat, so it's not just me. You can find many comments about these terrible seats on this forum and elsewhere.

BTW, I checked out the other Mazdas to see if I could get one of those seats and put it in mine, but found that they all have the new crap seats. The ergonomics AND the foam cushions are very poor. You can find older model used seats from auto parts dealers on eBay, but I don't know if I should bother trying that or just bite the bullet and switch cars. I'm afraid that if I went to the trouble of buying an older seat that it would either be disgusting, defective, or just plain wouldn't fit.

Back