Dealer installed hitch...notched out rear bumper

Kzvq

:
2014 CX 5 Mazda
Just purchased my CX5 and had the dealer install a hitch, which I assume is a Mazda hitch. The dealer installed the hitch but notched out the rear bumper where the receiver exits from underneath the vehicle.
Has anyone else had their hitch installed by the dealer or otherwise and had the bumper notched out.

Last edited:
I installed a Curt Class III hitch on my CX-5, no notch was needed to be cut out, as was the same with a majority of others as well. If my memory serves, there was someone else on the forum that had a dealer installed hitch and they botched his bumper all up because they cut it horribly. I think it just depends on the hitch.

I fitted my own Mazda hitch/towbar,and yes the lower underneath section of the bumper requires a cutout section.This is so you can slide the removable tongue/towball up into the towbar.
You should not notice the cutout unless you are on your knees and looking underneath the vehicle.

Just had my Mazda hitch installed, dealer did the same thing on my CX-5, small notch in bottom of bumper, not very noticable unless you are looking for it.

Just purchased my CX5 and had the dealer install a hitch, which I assume is a Mazda hitch. The dealer installed the hitch but notched out the rear bumper where the receiver exits from underneath the vehicle.
Has anyone else had their hitch installed by the dealer or otherwise and had the bumper notched out.

Botched install of Botched Mazda genuine part (hitch for CX5)

It does seems unlikely that Mazda would have a "Genuine Accessory" hitch for their own vehicle does not fit. Well it doesn't fit the 2014 CX-5. (It never occurred to me that this might happen and so I did not add a clause in the purchase contract that their accessories must be installed in a manner that does not damage the vehicle.) The brand new 2014 CX-5 that I picked up last week, with a Mazda "Genuine Accessory" hitch installed, does indeed have a notch hacked out of the bumper. Very annoying for a few reasons. It looks like it was cut out with tin-snips or perhaps a hack saw, carelessly, and very asymetrically around the hitch.

Last edited:
No problem with the dealer installed hitch in the UK.
Yes there is a notch cut out, but you have to get down on your hands and knees to notice.
Quality item and pretty decent price fitted as well for a detachable hitch.

It does seems unlikely that Mazda would have a "Genuine Accessory" hitch for their own vehicle does not fit. Well it doesn't fit the 2014 CX-5. (It never occurred to me that this might happen and so I did not add a clause in the purchase contract that their accessories must be installed in a manner that does not damage the vehicle.) The brand new 2014 CX-5 that I picked up last week, with a Mazda "Genuine Accessory" hitch installed, does indeed have a notch hacked out of the bumper. Very annoying for a few reasons. It looks like it was cut out with tin-snips or perhaps a hack saw, carelessly, and very asymetrically around the hitch.

My thoughts exactly. I was infuriated to find out that they had damage my new $30,000 car just to install a OEM hitch. Figured the Mazda designers would have thought that one out.

If that's how it was deigned then, oh well. But the service department should have informed me before taking a hacksaw to my bumper. Had I known that the OEM hitch required a hole in my car, I would have purchased an after market product that did not require a hole. Less expensive too!

Last edited:
Back