Mazda3 Infotainment System concerns

taubut

:
2003 Mazda Protege 5
Is anybody else a little worried about somebody trying to break into the new Mazda 3 to take the dash mounted infotainment system? It looks like a generic GPS, and I live in Boston where a lot of windows get smashed to steal a GPS if its left out in the open. I wish there was a way to remove the thing when not in use, or they could have just made it like the mazda 6 or any other car where it doesnt look like its just a TomTom sitting on my dash waiting to be taken.

I'm not sure if that comes out all THAT easily. It looks modular, yeah, but I'm sure it has to be secured with a couple of screws or something. Maybe someone should sell some sort of accessory hood or something, to make it look like it's inside the dash instead of sitting on top of it?

or you could tint your side windows. :)

Put a hat on top of it? Cut a slot in the bottom of a box of tissues and place on top when parking?

It is disturbing that folks will bust out a window for that, but I too have been through my share of several break-ins, a stolen car, as well as vandalism damage. However, you can only do so much, because if they want in, they are going to get in.

Cut a slot in the bottom of a box of tissues and place on top when parking?

Clever idea lol

But yeah I think having tinted windows and keeping the sunshade up when parked should be fine. It's a shame it's not a retractable screen, that would have made it perfect. When I first saw the screen stuck on like that I hated it. I guess after seeing them in pics and vids, it's not that bad. I do like having it higher up for better/safer viewing.

What would be the point of stealing it? It seems like Mazda would make it where it wouldn't work outside of the car.

I guess we will all know sooner or later.

I dunno, the bragging rights around stealing what is essentially a cheap knockoff of a $200 Nexus 7 with a custom connector, custom software, and no battery? :)

What would be the point of stealing it? It seems like Mazda would make it where it wouldn't work outside of the car.

I guess we will all know sooner or later.

I could be wrong but thinking the OPs real concern is having a window smashed in because someone thinks they can make a quick buck off of a 'GPS' unit only to find it's not and then go on their way leaving him with the headache.

I could be wrong but thinking the OPs real concern is having a window smashed in because someone thinks they can make a quick buck off of a 'GPS' unit only to find it's not and then go on their way leaving him with the headache.

This is actually exactly my concern. It's almost making me consider the Mazda 3 not an option for a new car as much as I'd love one. The Mazda 6 had a normal in dash system, I don't see why the 3 needs a system that looks like a Tom Tom on my dash.

I'm mostly concerned with the thing being hideous. Mazda needs to put a double-din radio back in the dash because they've made it impossible to install an aftermarket head unit. I need to replace my '03 Protege5 soon and I thought the new 3 would be my new wheels but now I'm planning to wait for the new Honda FIT and Honda Urban SUV in 2015.

I'm concerned too and wouldn't mind putting a big adhesive sticker on the back "this has no resale value, is part of the car and cannot be used separately". Only I doubt the average drug-user reads, and even less will take time to read.
A nice huge aftermarket sticker or plastic cover with "no sale value" would do great IMO.
I got a break-in in another car for having the GPS stand (no GPS in the car). The way the side windows are broken around here is with a screwdriver put between the frame and the window. The problem is that this leaves the door in need of a new "metal skin" (not sure about the exact word). So it's not too far from changing the door in term of price.

BTW, the wheels come without wheel locks. My dealer was out of wheels locks (this is odd), so would anyone know of a good aftermarket product, preferably available on Amazon?
12 x 1.5 or something like that is what I see often for Mazdas, but really I don't want to buy the wrong one. It's for the 18" wheels. Thanks.

Back