Installed Kenwood DDX790 and love it!

mmmhops

:
Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring
I thought I could live with the OEM head unit in my CX-5. I was wrong. In a fit of rage, I ordered a Kenwood DDX790. I ordered from Crutchfield. Since they didn't have any info for a 2014, I took a chance and ordered everything to fit a 2013. Crutchfield recommended the required antenna adapter, dash kit and an interface that allows you to retain steering wheel controls. I was a little nervous about the Mazda wiring harness but, luckily, the SWC interface included the harness. Installation was a breeze and this thing sounds so much better than the stock stereo. The iPod interface and control works as one would expect.

My only issue is the backup camera. I really want to be able to use the stock camera. Anyone know how to wire it? I don't even know how to identify the correct wires.

Right there with ya. I ordered the Kenwood DDX370 yesterday. I have a plan to make the stock backup cam work with it, but I won't know for sure until I play with it a bit. I'll definitely post a how to if I get it working.

EDIT: I just looked at the DDX790 on Crutchfield and saw that it comes with a free backup camera? Good deal, but I agree, I would still want the OEM cam to work if possible.

Last edited:
Crutchfield either didn't have the free backup camera deal when I ordered mine or I just didn't see it. I probably would have taken advantage of it. I really want to be able to use the stock camera. I'm also adding a SiriusXM receiver. I'm not happy that you can't take advantage of the stock antenna. I really don't want to keep adding stuff to my car.

If you get the stock camera working PLEASE post how you did it. I'm really looking forward to hearing about your experience there.

I love the idea, but would kind of not like the fact that the OEM Sirius antenna and Camera can't be used. I am guessing the same thing is true for the GPS, although the DDX370 doesn't have GPS from what I can tell. I was told that the entire system in the CX-5 runs on a data bus. So the wires are reduced and its almost like having a network in your car where devices hang off that network. Sounds like a good idea actually, but since no one other than Mazda is doing it, it just makes thing a pain in the butt for after market stuff. I'll just stick with stock and plan on trading in the car sooner than later.

Latest posts

Back