Wrecked 2012 MZ5

I'm sure I will spark a storm of controversy with my opinion on this, but i fail to see their risk/reward balance paying off in my favor. I haven't ever loaded any car to the point where one of those things would have meant the difference between getting it in one trip and not. Thats just me though

That is just you, we understand your opinion and that's great if you can get away with never having to use any kind of box or hitch mounted accessory (trailer, bike rack, luggage rack, trailer, etc.). But many owners of the 5 bought it because they have kids and/or are active outdoor enthusiasts. And so, on occasion, with three, four or more occupants, when taking road trips, going camping, visiting family or taking part in their preferred outdoor activity (kayaking, mountain biking, surfing, snowboarding, skiing etc, etc..) which also often is combined with said road-trips, one does require extra space to fit all of the families' gear and necessities. Also, for myself, though a 1/2 yard of mulch or soil may technically fit inside my 5, I much prefer to put it into a trailer attached to my 5 via a hitch.

Not trying to be a dick at all, and understand your point and again think it's great that for everything you do, you can fit everything into your vehicle. I'm just pointing out a few of the very obvious reasons other 5 owners might disagree with you and actually need to use some kind of hitch or roof attached device. Make sense? You know what other rick/rewards might pay off in your favour? Never taking part in any kind of activity, never driving, maybe even never going outside, or even leaving your couch! There you go... all nice and safe. Glad we could sort this out before touching off that ol s*** storm. Take care!

Last edited:
Next time take your meds before posting chief, I wasn't attacking anything or anyone, least of all roof boxes and trailer hitches. I don't have use of them, so i wouldn't buy one, that was my one and only point. Sheesh.

Ha! I know this is an old thread but I was driving that car when it got hit! 3 kids in car seats in the car at the time my son was in the 3rd row right side. My son got a scratch on the back of his leg that needed a large band-aid and my wife had seat belt bruising. The twins and i were fine and no one else was injured. 4 car pile up in a single lane construction zone. The Caviler in front of us rear ended a Caravan that panic-stopped. We, being fully loaded for a 6 week trip from NY to Vegas, stopped just as the back end of the Caviler dropped onto our hood. We were rear ended by a newer Dodge Dakota that i don't even think attempted to slow down.

How the hell do I embed pics?

IMG_20130806_152231_540.jpgIMG_20130806_152238_702.jpgIMG_20130806_152245_942.jpgIMG_20130806_152308_608.jpgIMG_20130808_100421_670.jpg

So glad that you and your family were ok. I think a lot of us were worried about third row intrusion. All the speculation in the world couldn't put those pictures in our mind, so thank you for posting them.

Ha! I know this is an old thread but I was driving that car when it got hit! 3 kids in car seats in the car at the time my son was in the 3rd row right side. My son got a scratch on the back of his leg that needed a large band-aid and my wife had seat belt bruising. The twins and i were fine and no one else was injured. 4 car pile up in a single lane construction zone. The Caviler in front of us rear ended a Caravan that panic-stopped. We, being fully loaded for a 6 week trip from NY to Vegas, stopped just as the back end of the Caviler dropped onto our hood. We were rear ended by a newer Dodge Dakota that i don't even think attempted to slow down.

First off, this is one of the more fascinating threads I've come across in a while on M247. I never did see this thread when it was posted originally as we purchased our MZ5 in August of 2014 and I didn't really peruse this section of the forum until then. How cool that you found this thread; revived/updated it and gave us the details behind the pictures that was speculated upon. Glad to read that no one was severely injured. So what happened afterwards...how'd the insurance process go? Did you wind up with another MZ5 or different family hauler?

As far as embedding pics, first you have to have the pictures hosted somewhere (e.g. Photobucket), then copy the URL from the hosting site and either use the "Insert Image" feature or simply insert the URL between this code:

View attachment 214248View attachment 214249View attachment 214250View attachment 214251View attachment 214252
I didn't realize this was a zombie thread when I started reading. I was going to finish reading the thread then post a rebuttal to the IADEs (Internet Accident Deconstruction Experts) that proclaimed that any 3rd row passengers would have had spinal injuries.

Glad it all worked out ok. I assume the 5 was a write off? We have a 2012 MZ5 and we are currently planning another cross country trip. I am very happy to hear that it so robust in an accident scenario.

Last edited:
Revival....The unibody held up well. I guesstimate the Durango was clocking from 60 to 0 and followed really close. Glad no serious injuries and everyone walked away. The pile up looked really bad for the other vehicles. The Mazda survived. Looks better than other cars would be after a pile up.

Back