Mazda 6 2014 vs. Mazda CX-5 2014 - for a newborn

b_scott

:
2014 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD - Meteor Gray Mica
Hello! Been courting the CX-5 for awhile. Having our first kid in December and need to finally buy a car (Chicago pedestrian for 7 years). I've always had cars in the past but we started to like the small CUV's like the CX-5 lately. We're pretty set on the CX-5 but I wanted to drop by here to get everyone's opinion on the benefits of either one with a new baby. I assume carseats fit well in the 6 too. It's longer of course, with not as much headroom. But more trunk space I would assume, and fold down seats as well.

Figured it couldn't hurt to ask - especially interested in opinions of those that have owned both cars and CUV's. Thanks!

Go with the Mazda 6. I believe the CX-5 and the 6 are on the same chassis, but the 6 is definitely more sexy and has enough space to carry baby stuff in style (wiggle)

......... the 6 is definitely more sexy and has enough space to carry baby stuff in style (wiggle)

True, but they don't stay babys for long! Before you know it, you'll be hauling science projects, sports equipment, etc.
My advice- drive 'em both and then make your decision.

I'm only 5'7 but I keep knocking my head on the door frame of sedan when carrying an infant carrier or helping my baby in and out. Wife also appreciates the ride height of van/suv so I'd go for CX-5 AWD since you get snow in there however I went with the Mazda 5 because I have 3 kids (3rd row is a must) but don't get snow where I live.

I have a new 6 and my wife has a new Cx-5. We love them both but Che Cx-5 is definitely easier to get in and out of. The door openings on the new 6 seem smaller than on my old 2nd gen. The back doors are a little clumsy to get in and out of for an adult in the CX-5 but may be fine for kids. I say take a stroller and car seat and a doll to the dealership and practice loading and unloading and see which works better. But the 6 does get better mileage on the highway. We don't have kids yet but think both will be fine when it's time.

Evaluate your selflessness - The 6 is a sexier, classier vehicle, whereas the CX-5 has the obvious upper hand with cargo and practicality. As stated, it has a rear seat that is more accessible, which is important, with your child being fully dependent on you to be seated in the car seat, for a period of years. Additionally, the cargo space is easier to access. Remember, cargo volume is nearly useless with large objects, if the OPENING to the trunk in not oversized. The hatch on the CX-5 makes placing cargo (stollers, etc.) into the back much easier.

I bought my wife a CX-5 in March 2012, and while we still haven't had our first child, we purchased the CX-5 with a growing family in mind. That said, the MZ6 is a heck of a car all the way around. It just comes down to, since they are so similar, if you want to make compromises.

Back