Dual Climate Control - A/C works on Passenger Side, not on Driver's Side

tghansen

:
2008 Mazda CX-9
Hi all,
The A/C works great on the passenger side and rear, but not on the driver's side. I located the drivers side temp-control actuator and watched it while I adjusted the temperature setting. The actuator operated as expected, and the linkages (on the outside of the main housing) looked to be in good shape. I'm trying to think what else it could be. The only thing that makes sense is that the linkages to the tempt control door inside the housing may be broken or mis-operating... but that is going to be a big disassembly, and I don't want to be wrong. Could it be anything else?

I figure it can't be the AC system itself because the passenger side and rear ducts are working great.

My understanding is that the dual air control is accomplished by separating the main duct housing into 2 sides that are independently controlled. Is it possible that the evaporator (which I believe spans the entire length of the housing) is failing, and a gradient of efficiency exists where from the passenger side to the driver's side the evaporator is failing so that the passenger side works while the driver's side doesn't? I note that the coolant hoses attach to the evaporator on the passenger side, so I thought maybe that could be it... but I don't know how the evaporator's work well enough to think if this is realistic.

Thanks for any direction you can give me. I appreciate it.

tghansen, did you find out what was wrong? I'm having the same problem. Where is the driver's side actuator? I found the passenger...

My 2009 touring has 51000 miles and began to only blow cold air at the rear vents, while warm air came outof
front. Turns out the pressure in the ac system was low,naround 1.13 pounds compared to 1.57 max, I think. I has it recharged and now I it is blowing cold like it used to

Last edited:
tghansen, did you find out what was wrong? I'm having the same problem. Where is the driver's side actuator? I found the passenger...

Hi Leilan

Have you resolved the issue? i'm having the same issue and would like to know which part is broken.

thanks

Back